What album are you hooked on at the moment?

Myself, I'm currently hooked on Manic Street Preachers' seminal 1994 classic "The Holy Bible". Yes, it's actually called that, and no, it's not a Christian album, far from it in fact. Anyway, it's probably one of the most brilliant things I have listened to in a long time, and I have been listening to it near-exclusively over the last few days.

Here's one of my favorite tracks from it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVmbg…
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - "We're Only In It For The Money"
Understanding What We've Grown To Be by We Came As Romans :D
Talk Talk - The Party's Over
Early 80's New Wave had a more strange, grungy sound to it before it got flashy and pretty in the mid-eighties. Talk Talk wasn't one of the biggest bands, but they had a distinct sound and vocalist, and their first album, The Party's Over, is one that I am digging the shit out of.
The Pretty Reckless' Going To Hell
& Kikuo's Soundworks 2012 ^_^
"The Wall" is an album that's really had its hooks in me lately. Can't go wrong with Pink Floyd.
I still haven't listened to it, but I've heard it's a classic. A lot of people have compared Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile, one of my all-time favorite albums, to it.
Hollow Bodies by BlesstheFall
At the moment I'm hooked on The Money Store by Death Grips and None Shall Pass by Aesop Rock.
I'm normally not hooked on albums, but right now, I've been listening to plenty of Ivan Torrent. His songs are sheer brilliance.
Actually I've been more into mixes of juke/footwork music as of late.

Here are some of the mixes I've been listening to:
soundcloud.com/lexdray/lexdray…
soundcloud.com/user27424333/dj…
soundcloud.com/addisongroove/a…
youtube.com/watch?v=8EuM4p3OPd…
Epic Action & Adventure Vol. 5 by Epic Score.

IMO the album has some of their best orchestral tracks that haven't been matched in their later compilations like:

Darkness Rises
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zlnS…

and

King's Return (an epic 3 part track)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBjb4…
"Oh, What a Life" American Authors. And no, not just the radio songs.
yoko kanno - ghost in the shell ost 1

shes such an amazing song writer, and the album itself has really good variety. not to mention the guest singers are all awesome
Total Life Forever by Foals.  It used to be my least favorite album by them, but I gave it another chance and now I love it :love:

I'm also pretty into Supermodel by Foster The People.  It took forever to come out but it was definitely worth the wait and I'm still hooked, lol.
That's sort of like what happened with me and Metallica's album Load. I thought that as I "true" metalhead/Metallica fan I had to hate that album, but I gave it a chance one day and enjoyed it. Aside from "2x4", I'd say it's pretty much a perfect album.
IMO a lot of times when people tend to hate on an album, it can turn out to be a hidden gem.  It's why I try not to let others' opinions on things prevent me from giving them a chance.
I also really enjoyed St. Anger, despite all the criticism it received for its repetitive nature, long song lengths and "bad production". I actually think the rougher production and simpler, more aggressive nature of the songs it had gave them a more passionate, "garage band" sort of sound, which fits quite well with the album's lyrical themes. Metallica was in shambles when they made this album, as Jason Newstead left the band over unfair treatment, and James Hetfield was struggling with rehab and overcoming his alcoholism, among other problems The whole Napster kerfuffle didn't help things either. Somehow though, they managed to pull together and make a pretty decent album, which actually received a decent amount of acclaim at first, but only started getting shit on once the old, elitist, "first four albums only" crowd came along and stated their opinions on it.
I can definitely relate.  I really like The Resistance by Muse and while it certainly isn't their strongest album, I think a lot of the shit that gets flung at it is a little unfair.  Muse were going through some rough times, for example Chris Wolstenholme was also dealing with alcoholism at the time (but is luckily recovered now) and wasn't really around while they were writing the songs.  But I still think the album was decent and if nothing else the Exogenesis Symphony really gave a big emotional end to what was considered a somewhat emotionally lacking (which is a fair criticism imo) album.
"Fueled by Hate" by Jungle Rot

Since buying the album about 3 weeks ago, I listen to it once a day
Cannabis Corpses' new album, From Wisdom To Baked

Steal This Album by System Of A Down

Groovehammer by THE HELL

and of course, Once More 'Round The Sun by the almighty Mastodon
i just recently burned a copy of Boredoms - VCN for my recent road trip
Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun
www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqddn…

Not a single bad album from these, and this one's no exception. Probably my favorite album this year so far.

Shirk - Launch EP
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9t-R…

I'll admit that I found out about this one just a few days because of Markiplier's "Critical Mass" video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa59b4…. I'm not typically into electronic music, so to hear something that I actually enjoy is a big deal for me. Oddly, Markiplier also got me into The Noisy Freaks. :p youtu.be/EzDmxV99LMI
Ministry's album With Sympathy. Shame they only made one like it. :stare:
I love that album! Considering it's something Al Jourgensen never really wanted to do in the first place, he actually did a decent job with it. Apparently, he destroys every copy he comes across, and it was only officially released on vinyl; the only CD copies are bootlegs.

I think it's a shame that none of Ministry's newer albums contain much for electronics. I don't even think Psalm 69 has much electronics on it, though I still think it's a great album.