Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Punk and Heavy Metal Nowadays

:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Why does punk and heavy metal sound so crap nowadays?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconiheartkimpine:
iheartkimpine Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
While I think that modern metal music is pretty much total garbage I think a lot of solid punk bands are still performing and recording such as NOFX, Bad Religion, Subhumans, UK Subs, Rancid and Dead Kennedys. You've just got to look in the underground. A lot of these bands are straying away from the mainstream as it becomes more destructive to musical reputations.
:icontronik808:
tronik808 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the majority of rock/metal that adorns music television and magazine covers is a genre i dont recognise anymore, it seems quite image related with exotic hairdo's and androginous outfits with complex acccesories,this seems to be trying to emulate elements of early punk music but seems manufactored. then their is the obligatory tattoos and piercings.
To me a lot of modern bands look and sound quite similar and i think that the spirit of heavy or alternative music should be to embrace individuality as for my feelings of heavy music it never used to be about how you looked, in fact it was the opposite where anything went and the music was the most important thing.

Ok rant over, i think there are hundreds of rock/punk/heavy metal bands to be found outside of the commercial market....
Lo-Pan,Horns of The Rhino,Graveyard,Witchcraft,Black Tusk,Baroness,Priestess,Clutch,Torche,Big Business,MegaChurch,Orange Goblin,Electric Wizard.
Also try websites that showcase unsigned bands to find cool stuff from the fringes.
:iconjenrobey:
JENROBEY Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I agree that there are a lot of crappy metal bands out there. Most bands fill their songs with generic breakdowns and generic monotone vocals and pass it off as METAL. Or at least that's what they're calling in nowadays. All of these terrible "core" bands anger my soul. People who actually care about the integrity of music have to pick and look through the disgusting amount of clone-core bands out there just to find something worth listening to.
:iconmarioluigi96:
MarioLuigi96 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
It dooesn't ALL sound crap. I really like tech metal at the moment. give this a listen: (and YES, it is meant to be in sync with the movie clip-awesome huh?) [link]

Or this:[link]
:headbang:

Don't really like punk, but I know some good hardcore bands if you like that kind of music?
:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Look harder.
:iconodalist:
Odalist Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
hah, totally forgot punk was in the OP.... I have no clue what's up with it. Ska is terrible. Cro-Mags rule. Avoid paying to see the Misfits at all costs. That's all I got!
:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
Disagree with one of your points; Regional scenes breed movements. Whether you liked it or not, hair metal blew up the world and gave openings to many, many 'real' metal acts after gestating on the sunset strip for years.

Around here, August Burns Red and Texas in July used to play bowling alleys and laser tag arenas. Look what they've turned into.

Regional scenes are part of the identity of an area, and give the band a strong base they can fall back on when things go less than perfect with an experiment. Decades after their 15 minutes, Kix is touring the east coast just like they used to back in the early '80's. I get to see them at my neighborhood bar/concert venue three times a year. They probably couldn't draw more than a hundred in Miami, but around here, 800 on a Tuesday night in July without a single college kid in sight.
Odalist Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
I think we're talking about two very, very different genres.
Odalist Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
There are a number of reasons. First and foremost, there haven't been any significant developments in genre since Black Metal - remember, this pretty much stopped evolving around '95-97 or so. The few bands who have properly "taken it further" (Absu, Secrets of The Moon, Averse Sefira, Rotting Christ) would pretty much crash and burn if they (had) strayed from the style any more.

That's not to say there haven't been good bands in recent years. Metal is too successful now, and we see that with it's ridicule (Dethklok, Ghost, Cradle of HIV, Slipknot) or pathetic attempts at assimilation (Liturgy, Wolves In The Throne Room, Mastodon) by verse-chorus-verse-chorus mainstream groups that want to make metal-flavored ear candy.

I still firmly believe there IS hope for good Metal. If you live and breathe this music, you can help! Abolish regional scenes - being 'underground' doesn't instantly make a band great - hold them all to high standards, big or small. This is OUR music, but each and every one of us CAN fuck it up without regular reality checks from our brothers. Venues are overbooked - not everyone needs to be in a touring band. Help promote and book good music at a local venue. Start a distro if you know people who run labels. Got a screen printer? Good! Get permission and help make/sell band merch. Pack a small bag and volunteer to help a friend's band on the road. Most of all, stop googling every band you hear of. Start going to record stores and ASK if a band is worth hearing! You'll hear different opinions, and most likely meet some good people after a while. Maybe if there are no local stores, check a small distro online. Most do mixed CD lots or throw in bonuses, even a recommendations list if contacted. Do your part.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I dunno. I only listen to stuff that came out in the 80's/early 90's. Even old bands who put out new stuff don't compare to what they used to be, once upon a time.
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I personally think that stoner metal has been doing great in these past few years, I don't even listen to any other subgenres anymore. Can't say anything about punk, I don't even listen to much of the old stuff.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
It doesn't.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
ears used to listen better in the old days.
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Agree with the original poster. Everybody in metal these days sounds like an angry version of the Cookie Monster.
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
At least the Cookie Monster speaks English now and again.
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
You know, I thought that was German
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Death metal will be the death of metal.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Says who?
:iconpopstck:
popstck Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:roll:
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Cracked, amirite?
:iconmphtmnslt:
mphtmnslt Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
You're not looking hard enough for good music. :P
:iconinstantphotographer:
InstantPhotographer Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
:handshake:
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Metal is still going strong. I haven't listened to any punk that wasn't made after the 80's and I don't really see any reason to.
:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's better than ever before. But you gotta search outside the blockbuster cd stores now.
:iconrawglor:
Rawglor Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There is a lot of new metal that I really like.
:icongamerdude500:
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hmm, well NOFX are still going strong, and they're a great punk band. Just listen to Coaster and you'll see what I mean.
:iconwerewolfferret96:
Werewolfferret96 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
try to listen to D, it's a melodic metal,and they make sense
here I give you a link since it's so hard to get the results
[link]

and exist trace, here's the link to one of their song, Maerchen...
[link]
:iconsleinadflar:
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Because everything has been done before (and better) in the 70s and 80s. There's only so much you can do within the narrow confines of the two genres.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
1. Metal is one of the least narrow genres.
2. As far as punk and its sub-genres go, I'd say they are far better now than the 70s and 80s, especially lyrically.
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
OP is talking about HEAVY metal, not about metal. And yes, there is a difference.
Dunno about punk, lost interest in it around 1993 or so.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Oh, look at that, he is. My bad xD I just skimmed the title and must've missed when he said heavy.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I think metal is doing perfectly fine and continues to expand. Some areas of punk feel to me like they're going nowhere though; not all of them, but some.
Metal is doing fine. Heavy Metal however is not.
... I don't know what you're trying to say.
Heavy metal for me is that specific subgenre of metal from the 70s/80s, y'know, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, that kind of stuff. It's practically dead nowadays (although Maiden and Priest still occasionally release fine albums). Metal as a whole is a doing fine, bands like Agalloch, Blut Aus Nord, Primordial, Moonsorrow, Tryptikon, Summoning, Ne Obliviscaris etc. all release quality work. None of them qualify as Heavy Metal though; they are too far removed from the classic bands.
(What's called Power Metal is probably the closest to classic Heavy Metal. Unfortunately, I don't like modern Power Metal.)
I agree with deviant-garde. Punk seems more confined in it's ability to expand whereas metal can actually reach out in many different directions. This is all ridiculously subjective though.. :nirvana:
:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Punk isn't really confined. It's a lot like metal. It spawned real emo which spawned real screamo (too bad that genre name got taken by really mediocre metalcore bands), all forms of hardcore (well, metalcore and deathcore are more metal-inspired), and that stuff. I would say punk is doing pretty good nowadays; maybe not regular play-by-the-book punk, but a lot of interesting stuff.
True. But screamo shouldnt be used as a word for a genre. I feel that people that use screamo dont really understand the music that they're talking about. There are tons of punk bands with screamers and clean vocalists just as much as metal bands have screamers and clean vocalists.. even some electronic, trance, techno artists use heavy stylized vocals. There's a lot of mixing and molding of musical concepts nowadays.
The way you put it with punks influence on music today is just as valid as talking about Metallica's, Slayer's, Iron Maiden's and Pantera's influence (keep in mind I actually dont like some of those bands but I do recognize their contribution to music).. even non-punk and non-metal based bands like Van Halen or Boston or Led Zeppelin or the Beatles get some credit for how music is today.

Honestly, I kinda feel like we could argue anything.
I think most hardcore is especially going nowhere, as much as I love a lot of older stuff. I feel like the more post-punkish / post-hardcore stuff is still developing but the majority of metalcore and new hardcore I've heard I can listen to for maybe 20 seconds before I'm tired of the song. Then 10 songs in and I feel like I know what half of every metalcore band in existence sounds like. I am honestly trying because it isn't always that bad but I just get burned out on it so easily and quickly.
You're trying hard than most that's for sure haha. I cant hate you for that.
Add a Comment: