Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

How can I purchase music so that I know the actual artist is getting the money?

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I want to buy songs I like, but I keep hearing about how the artists actually make very little off the sales because it all goes to the record label. I don't want to give my money to the label, I want to give it to the artist. Does anyone know of a way that I can be sure the artist is actually getting the money, or am I fighting a lost cause?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconergasterd:
ergasterd Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If they are signed to a label then you can't be really sure, and they will only get a cut anyway. If they are not signed then buy from their websites or Bandcamp, or from their gigs.
:iconmphtmnslt:
mphtmnslt Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Go to shows, buy merch. Otherwise, sites like bandcamp are good to buy from too.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I'm going to be cynical here and say if its under a record label, you're likely screwed. You'd have to basically go personal to be personal.
:iconpolaroidred:
PolaroidRed Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Don't use Itunes as they give the artist the lowest percent out of all the other music download sites such as bandcamp or topspin.
:iconwizfrikiman:
wizfrikiman Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Artists who use Bandcamp, CDBaby, Tunecore or Topspin are usually getting your money.
:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Go to their shows and buy discs et. al. from their vendor stands. In particular, autographed stuff that goes for a few extra bucks should be pure gravy for the band.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
If you're trying to buy from an artist signed to a major label there's really not much you can do. The label takes great measure to make sure they're getting a cut of anything the artist makes through sales, be it music and frequently also merch.

The only way to ensure it is to buy from indie artists through the aforementioned Bandcamp, or sites like it.
:iconaeschynite:
AESCHYNITE Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Go to the artists main official website and look for official purchase links.
:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Buy stuff on bandcamp.com.
:iconrawglor:
Rawglor Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, it looks like the artist makes 85-90% of each sale.
Add a Comment: