Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Left handed person playing piano?

:iconcolouredart:
ColouredArt Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I wonder which hand is the most used/dominant when you play the piano, because I am lefthanded and most instruments are made for righthanded people. Anyone who playes the paino and can give some advice? :)

the reason I want to know is because I want to learn piano but i'm left handed.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think it matters to much. To be a good piano player, you need to be good at using both of your hands. I've always been better with my dominant hand on the piano, although it's been about 8 years since I've had lessons.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Right is usually lead, left is usually chords, walks, arpeggios, etc... If you also play guitar, your right hand should be the dominant hand when you play the piano as well. My right hand can rip it on the piano due to exercising it on the guitar.
:iconwalkingren:
WalkingRen Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
You should be fine, I've played song's with both hands and even some with the melody on the left and the simpler bit on the right =P just a matter of practice
:icon21stuser:
21stUser Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Artist
I'm currently teaching myself to play piano and I see that most songs use both hands so unless you have terrible rhythm and such you shouldn't have to much trouble :D
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Given that most people I've known who learned piano (who are also right-handed) really struggled with left hand coordination for a while, it sounds like you've got a slight advantage. Still, it takes lots of coordination for both hands, not to mention your feet.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
For an instrument played with both hands while sitting in the middle, this is actually an incredible question. I suppose if you are extremely physically lefthand biased, then you'll find it easier to play songs on the lower end of the scale- but it really requires significant abilty with both hands to play piano. And left handers usually have that ability due to the need to use the right hand to do most things in a society that makes everything righthanded. This extra practice with both hands should help, but everyone is different :shrug:
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Grant I have limited experience, but playing the piano just requires both hands (mostly) and has no preference beyond what the song leans towards.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I would imagine you'd need near equal strength, dexterity, etc. for both hands for piano. I don't think it'd make much of a difference...

I mean, I'm right-handed, and when I play a difficult piece on piano, or a piece where it's quite demanding on my fingers, my right hand feels stronger than my left, but it's a matter of practice at the end of the day, and the key is to use both hands in sync, rather than separately.
:iconcolouredart:
ColouredArt Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I see, thanks. Thats kind of what I thought but I woul'd imagine that my left hand is a bit stronger but as you say with practise it can even out :)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Definitely. :nod:
Add a Comment: