February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Certain songs and copyright surrounding them

:icondragriff:
dragriff Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Oh hello there, internet peoples.

I am guessing this would be the right place asking the kinda question I have in mind, if not, well... Derp.

Anyway. So recently I have been having this idea of making a music video for them Youtubes. I have the footage in mind which I would like to use, as well as a song.
Now, I am quite uneducated in the whole copyright thing and I do not know how to determine if a song would be acceptable to be used in any videos without any copyright issues, unless the band itself clearly states that it would be free to use.

The song in question would be one made by the band "The Heavy" (a band whose songs you can hear in Borderlands 2) and by the name of "What Makes a Good Man": Clicky for Youtubes

I know some songs might outright be blocked, some might be blocked in certain countries, but some might not be blocked at all.
The question is: Would any one of you know if this particular song / band would be blocked or would I be able to use it without a problem? I tried searching around, but I am just far too clueless about this all, and could use some assistance.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
When something is created, it's subject to copyright automatically. Every song is subject to copyright unless it's in the public domain. You must ask permission, unless they've authorised use under a licence of some sort and you comply with that licence.

Nothing I can think of would protect you under fair dealing. If you go ahead without permission, if they find it and don't want you doing it, they'll get YouTube to take it down. That's the minimum of what they'd do.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've actually seen some artists commenting on illegally-uploaded videos featuring their songs. One example is this one, where the guy who wrote the song (Danny Kavanagh) responds to someone accusing him of plagiarism: [link] I lol'd.
Add a Comment: