Baker Street - Cover Comparisons

Which do you prefer, the original or the cover?

Gerry Rafferty's is one of my favorite songs of all time, and I'm really enjoying the Foo Fighter's (which I only recently "discovered") version right now. It puts a new spin on an old classic. I think I like them both equally, but we'll see once the novelty factor wears off. Personally, I think the guitar solo in the original is superior to that of the Foo Fighter's.
Comments8
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Gotta go with the original. The contrast between Rafferty's cool, smooth vocals and the fiery sax makes for a beautifully dreamy atmosphere. Foo Fighters' version is fine, but the way the amp up the noise factor destroys the most striking element of the original version.
I prefer the original but still bought both.
Personally I prefer the original version, although I like how the Foo Fighters version has more a "today" sort of feeling about it.
I'm going to have to go with the original. Grohl certainly nailed the vocals, but for me it just ain't the same without dat sax.
Agreed that the sax's presence was missed. Still, replacing it with a guitar was an interesting experiment, at least IMO.