Beginning Band Student: Noob Advice?

I am currently enrolled in a symphonic band class and, as a beginner, I was wondering: how do time signatures work? Like, let's say some music was written in three-fourths and the tempo was at a moderate pace. At the time of the beat (or those click sounds the counter thingy makes), do you play a note? Or have I got this completely wrong? 'Cause this doesn't make any sense...

And what is the proper way to breath on a woodwind instrument? Apparently, I cannot 'articulate'. I've looked online for some tips and all I get is "use your diaphragm/belly breath". I try to but it just doesn't work... Can someone explain this to me aswell?
Comments3
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If something written in 3/4, it's three quarter notes to a bar. Bars are separated by vertical lines on paper and riffs are usually one or two bars long. It's easy enough to count.

This is in 3/4: [link]
This is in 4/4: [link]
First the breathing. Get your instrument all set up and then jog around the block. When you get back play. The heavy, deep breathing...that's what you want :) We used to do that all the time when I was playing clarinet and it helps more than you would think :p I don't know what you're playing but I could give more advice if you're on clarinet as it's what I know best :dummy:

As for time signatures. You can think of them as fractions. The number of beats in a measure multiplied by the fraction of the note that gets the beat. So 4/4 would be 4 beats in a measure and a 1/4 note for each beat. 6/8 time has 6 1/8 notes per measure. Different time signatures are accented differently and are typical to different styles of music. You'll learn them as you go, it's not a big deal just yet :)

You don't nessesarily play a note when the beat hits. There are books of rhythm exercises and it's a really good idea for you to get one. You can practice them anywhere, even when you're not playing the actual instrument. You'll never really be perfect at rhythm stuff it always take a lot of practice :p even professional players practice that stuff

Again, articulating is really hard. It's something that you could spend years just getting basically right. It's also instrument specific to some degree. It just takes a while for you to develop the muscle memory for it to be totally automatic :dummy: you'll get there though. You can also practice articulation while you're practicing scales