Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

How to sing and play guitar at the same time?

:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
I know the lyrics, and I know how to play it, but when it comes to all at once I get mixed up, especially the guitar part. I'm a lot better when it comes to singing with piano. Of course I only been playing guitar for a month, but are there any tricks and techniques to be able to fluently do both at the same time?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconryonma:
Yeah I agree with the previous posters. You have to keep playing the guitar parts until your hands just learn to play the chords by itself, without you having to think about them. Then start humming the melody, and then singing.
:iconneqael:
Neqael Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Apparently it helps to practice the guitar part until it becomes an automatism and you don't have to think about it anymore
Then you can concentrate on the singing part while you just leave the rest to your fingers =)

I never really tried it myself, but I do notice I have less problems singing songs I've already been playing for while.
Badgercheese1994 Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
I've been taking it slow, since each verse is a chord, I do the verse and then do a pause for the next verse and I been getting it down quite a bit :P thanks!
:iconjuturn-al:
Juturn-AL Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Everyone is going to say practice, which is true and go slow first. It's the same as playing the drums. Your voice and strumming should play in unison, so make it play in unison. Don't let it own you, you have to own it!
:iconkikineko3:
KikiNeko3 Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
e.e is looks quite easy doing that (even knowing i dont play guitar but violin) u just need to be rly supah focus on the rythm of ur guitar :3 then the rest will come naturaly
:iconcaramelgrape:
CaramelGrape Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist
Do an acoustic cover of a 2 Chainz song.
Badgercheese1994 Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
I dun even know what that is..
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
Practice, obviously.

I would try starting off very slowly, just simple lyrics, small phrases.

Also, I would try playing the song on guitar over and over again until you can play it without thinking about it at all. Once you memories the guitar part so well that you can play it entirely by muscle memory it'll be easier to focus on singing.

Also, try playing and singing along with a recording of the song, it'll help keep you on track.
:iconmphtmnslt:
smoking marijuana helps you concentrate. or just drink a pint of jack to get the edge off.
:iconthe-thunder-fox:
The-Thunder-Fox Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
The same way you do it with piano. Practice.

You need to be very familiar with what you're singing and what you're playing. If you're a lot better at singing with piano, then get a song you can sing and play on piano, but play the chords on guitar instead. Make sure you get those chords down pat like you can on piano. And take it slow. If you need to, just learn the first two bars of a song. Then bars two and three... three and four... and slowly add it on.

That's about all I can suggest.
Add a Comment: