Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Does anyone know Sun Ra's better albums??

:iconariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:
Ariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi! I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good Sun Ra album. Jazz In Silhouette and Sun Song were amazing, but I didn't really like any of the other albums I could find.

He was doing REALLY avant-garde synthesizer improvisation... I like avant-garde jazz, and those synthesizer solos were /kind of/ fun to listen to, but those albums really weren't as musical, and I think I'm satisfied with just one of his synthesizer albums.

Does anyone have any recommendations for less synthesizer-y Sun Ra albums??

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Atlantis, Nothing Is, Jazz in Silhouette, and Sound of Joy would be good bets.

Some other people that would be worth checking out are Pharaoh Sanders, Alice Coltrane, and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
:icondregs-of-humanity:
dregs-of-humanity Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I like Space is the Place, was never really able to get into any of his other albums.
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Also, it turns out that I've been reading the album title wrong ever since I discovered it. It's apparently called LanQUIDity. Anyway, here's a small preview: [link]
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Landiquity is a really good album, and quite restrained for his standards. The synths are inevitably there, as are the psychedelic freakouts, but the songs actually make a bit more sense to us humans and the freakouts are there mainly for atmosphere, rather than consisting of entire songs :D
:iconariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:
Ariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for posting that :)!

That album was a lot more blues-y than I thought :o!

I live in Chicago, so hopefully I'll be able to find it at the Jazz Record Mart :).
Add a Comment: