Does anyone know Sun Ra's better albums??

Hi! I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good Sun Ra album. Jazz In Silhouette and Sun Song were amazing, but I didn't really like any of the other albums I could find.

He was doing REALLY avant-garde synthesizer improvisation... I like avant-garde jazz, and those synthesizer solos were /kind of/ fun to listen to, but those albums really weren't as musical, and I think I'm satisfied with just one of his synthesizer albums.

Does anyone have any recommendations for less synthesizer-y Sun Ra albums??
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Atlantis, Nothing Is, Jazz in Silhouette, and Sound of Joy would be good bets.

Some other people that would be worth checking out are Pharaoh Sanders, Alice Coltrane, and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
I like Space is the Place, was never really able to get into any of his other albums.
Also, it turns out that I've been reading the album title wrong ever since I discovered it. It's apparently called LanQUIDity. Anyway, here's a small preview: [link]
Landiquity is a really good album, and quite restrained for his standards. The synths are inevitably there, as are the psychedelic freakouts, but the songs actually make a bit more sense to us humans and the freakouts are there mainly for atmosphere, rather than consisting of entire songs :D
Thanks for posting that :)!

That album was a lot more blues-y than I thought :o!

I live in Chicago, so hopefully I'll be able to find it at the Jazz Record Mart :).