Anyway, what were your end of the year lists? - best 2012 records

This was mine:

1. Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
2. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
3. El-P - C4C
4. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
5. Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
6. Nits - Malpensa
7. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
8. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
9. Luik - Owls
10. Patti Smith - Banga
Comments80
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
2012 was a shitty year overall (it was an election year!) but oh was it great for music.

Colosso - Abrasive Peace

A killer debut for these prog-death metalers, and they put it on the Pirate Bay too to promote it! But I do want a physical copy, it's goooooood.

Asphyx - Deathammer

These guys have been around for a while now! And original vocalist and generally amazing guy (he was also in Pestilence and is the frontman of Hail of Bullets) van Drunen is back!

Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron

Another excellent debut for 2012, a progressive black metal band in the vein of Blut Aus Nord.

Meshuggah - Koloss</b>

These guys are on a roll. After the disappointing Catch-33 they made what was probably the best metal album of 2008, obZen. Dense and filled to the brim with wonderfully strange time signatures.

Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth

Metallica and Megadeth get all the credit as the harbingers of thrash metal, but Testament was there with them too. And unlike those two and more like their other peers Slayer, these guys haven't gone stupid and turned into massive cunts. They still know how to thrash with the best of them, but they've picked up a few tricks from experimenting with death metal too.

Afgrund - The Age Of Dumb

Heavy and angry as hell, just the way grindcore was meant to be. But there's still an underlying groove especially in the songs Bullets Are Forever and Genocide To Glorify to keep it from being a pointless mess of noise. This group is definitely one to watch.

Hour Of Penance - Sedition

Another group on a roll, this makes three awesome releases for these anti-religious death metalers. They remind me of my all-time favorite Suffocation.

Secrets Of The Moon - Seven Bells

A nice surprise for me courtesy of Amazon recommendations, more progressive-minded black metal. While most progressive black metal bands go for a wall of sound and dissodence a-la-Deathspell Omega, Secrects takes a minimalist approach for a uniquely eerie sound.

Wolvhammer - The Obsidian Plains

Another hard to classify one, they play what can be best described as black crust. Another band with a sound all their own.

Napalm Death - Utilitarian

There's a few misses on here, but overall Utilitarian is something ND should be proud of. Over 25 years and they're just as angry and unafraid of experimenting. They helped start grindcore and now they're helping redefine it.
Didn't hear any of those. Wanted to check out the new Napalm Death, but I forgot it. :(
The internet is vast. And Colosso's is still in Pirate Bay since they put it there themselves.
Frank Ocean is awesome. His songs are wonderful.
I actually finally ended up listening to Wintersun's 'Time I'.

I almost cried, it was that frigging beautiful. I just sat motionless for 40 minutes, purely listening. It was amazing.
I don't know Wintersun. Tell me more. :)
1. Joey Bada$$: 1999
2. Adaje: Yore Veils
3. Alt-J: An Awesome Wave
4. Brighter Arrows: Division and What it is to Abide
5. Trash Talk: 119
Still have to look up 1999.
Floral Green by Title Fight was quite awesome. I also enjoyed Midwest Nothing by Like Bats. I'm bad at knowing when labums come out so idk.
I've never heard of those. What kind of music is it?
killer mike R.A.P. music!
Om's "Advaitic Songs" is probably my favourite record released this year.
It wasn't really a tough choice since I didn't hear many of this year's albums. I also liked The Mars Volta's "Noctourniquet" (which means that it was somewhat of a disappointment, since I am usually blown away by what they release) and Stoned Jesus' "Seven Thunders Roar".
The only other record which comes close to Om's one is "Live in Studio" by the recently reformed Museo Rosenbach (a legendary Italian group from the early seventies): [link]
They finally did their old masterpiece justice, thanks to the excellent sound quality of this recording (the original album was a little bit sub-par from that point of view) and the exceptional energy they put into this performance.
Turned out to be a fully metal list for me, but then again, didn't really keep up with music too much this year.

1. Tragic Idol - Paradise Lost
2. Awoken Broken - Primal Rock Rebellion
3. Epicloud - Devin Townsend Project
4. Phantom Antichrist - Kreator
5. Eremita - Ihsahn
6. De Vermis Mysteriis - High On Fire
7. A Map Of All Our Failures - My Dying Bride
8. Honor Found In Decay - Neurosis
9. Dead End Kings - Katatonia
10. Sentenced To Life - Black Breath
Haven't heard one of them, to be honest. Did hear good things about Neurosis though.
1. Iamamiwhoami - Kin
2. Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
3. Beach House - Bloom
4. Alt-j - An Awesome Wave
5. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel..
6. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
7. Soap&Skin - Narrow
8. Metric - Synthetica
9. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
10. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Great 5 and 10. I do quite enjoy the new Perfume Genius as well. Didn't make it to my top 10 though, but it's quite neat.
Mostly progressive and post-rock for me. List:

1. Exegesis by Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
2. Ataraxia/Taraxis by Pelican
3. Dead End Kings by Katatonia
4. Animal Joy by Shearwater
5. Genesis Revisited II by Steve Hackett
6. Storm Corrosion by Storm Corrosion (Wilson/Akerfeldt)
7. Anastasis by Dead Can Dance
8. King of No. 33 by DeeExpus
9. This is PiL by Public Image Ltd.
10. Departure Songs by Hammock
I knew about the Pill and Dead Can Dance records, didn't listen to them. Don't know why though.
Kate Miller-Heidke - Nightflight: it was wonderful to see her songwriting grow up and not to use her amazing vocal range in a cheesy capacity.
Regina Spektor - What We Saw from the Cheap Seats

Uhh. I can't remember if I got any more CDs this year. Being poor sucks.