Would you go to a concert featuring Sim City music? Or non-mainstream video game music in general?

My orchestra's next concert is going to be featuring works from the original Sim City for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

My question: is there really a market for less-popular video game music, or should video game music stick to what everyone knows and loves with the occasional oddball piece thrown in?
Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That would be so awesome! Personally I would love to hear the Portal or Assassin's Creed soundtracks played by an orchestra, that would be epic. :D
I'm afraid to do music from portal because it would have to be done without vocals -- I refuse to play either ending credits without GLaDOS's voice.

Assassin's Creed is on my list of games to play eventually so I can get a good handle on the soundtrack.
Depends on the game. I'd go for The Legend of Zelda or Metroid series.
Right, that's what I feel like most people want to hear. :/
Likely not for Sim City, but there are a few games with great scores. I'd definitely consider it.
Interesting. What games would you consider it for?
Hmmm...:

-Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigter (Tom Salta did such an excellent job)
-Final Fantasy (there actually was a concert in town for this about a year or so ago; I just didn't make it).
-Mass Effect 2
-Assassin's Creed 2

That's all I can think of off the top of my head now, but I'm sure there are loads more.
Oh wow, Ghost Recon is something I have never seen come up on polls, questions, etc. Thanks for suggesting it, I'll be looking it up soon.

I need to get on Assassin's Creed -- I haven't played the series and I'm ashamed.
I was going to say "If only it also includes the SNES music". Bloody christ I love that game's music. Soundtrack to my childhood.

Then again I'm not exactly the typical person, y'know? I wouldn't use myself as a gauge for what most people would like.
My orchestra doesn't typically cater to typical people :P

Thank you for your input and I'm glad we share the love for that music. I'll be posting links to the entire suite when I finish it, and eventually recordings when we perform in March
Definitely, I'd love that! I find some of the best soundtracks are very underrated anyway.

You could always switch it around and throw in the occasional piece everyone knows and loves, whilst playing mostly non-mainstream music :D
That is certainly my plan this March.

However, I still haven't decided the rest of my lineup. I'm thinking a Zelda tune, some Donkey Kong Country, and the rest Sim City. My last concert in December was 6 songs from various Final Fantasies and one piece from Wind Waker. Trying to stray away from JRPG music this Spring.