I need your opinion

As a classic musician, I find difficulties entering to work somewhere, having gigs (that actually pay) and usually I can't connect with the audience easily (particularly because I like a lot music that is not 'conventional' even for classical standards). However, I want to know the opinion of everyone interested in any kind of music:

1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?

2. Do you like it? Why?

3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?

4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)

I'd be most grateful with all feedback you can give me :)
Comments29
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
SAVE X RADIO
THEY ARE TRYING TO SHUT US DOWN

[link]
- 1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?
I don't consider classical/academic music to be different from any other kind of music. I could probably find pieces/songs in any genre that I like, just like I could find some that I don't like.

- 2. Do you like it? Why?
This depends quite a lot on the piece or song. For example, I love "Moonlight Sonata" and "In the Hall of the Mountain King", but I have a hard time listening to "Ave Maria" and "Flight of the Bumblebee."

- 3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?
Sure, why not?

- 4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)
It always depends on which mood the piece is trying to convey. I can hardly imagine "Moonlight Sonata" to be filled with fast arpeggios, and "Flight of the Bumblebee" wouldn't work if you took the arpeggios out of it.

- 5. Would you change anything in the format of the classical concert?
I think this is a tough question, especially with artists/composers blurring the line between classical and modern music. In a faithful representation of Beethoven's 5th, it would be awkward to see people going crazy, but people wanted to headbang when Metallica played with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, which is absolutely fine by me. I guess being a little bit less formal might not be the worst idea for traditional orchestras playing rearranged versions of modern songs or film and videogame soundtracks, either.
First thanks a lot for the input. It's very helpful.

However, I have a doubt on your opinion. Just to be clear, would it be wrong if musicians were a little less formal when they play Beethoven's 5th Symphony? Not just modern music (like film or videogame), but all music?
You're welcome. As I said before, I think this question is hard to answer.

I guess what I meant is that the formality of the orchestra might aswell reflect the event, instead of being all formal all the time.
For example, wearing fracs is completely fine for gala banquets and such, but I wouldn't mind if the orchestra's dress code were less formal if they played for a younger audience that is not typically involved in classical music, even if they played Beethoven's 5th in both cases. Similarly, if you're playing with Metallica, you should expect the audience to be metal fans in jeans and t-shirts, so why not add some heavy metal to the orchestra's dresses?
That said, I'd always expect some uniformity in the orchestra's dress code, tough.
I've been thinking about this for the last 2 days. It makes a lot of sense. I shall look deeper into it. Again, thanks a lot.
1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?
Meaning? I really don't know. But to make me feel something-happyness/sadness/confused...etc

2. Do you like it? Why?
I enjoy classical music because it helps me focus when I do work that requires a lot of though (like science hw). It's also a good tool for escapism. And it's enjoyable to listen to

3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?
Yes. All composers were at some time new.

4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)
Both. There are times when one is better then the other and vice versa.
Awesome, thanks a lot.

A last question I forgot to add:

Would you change anything in the format of a classical concert?
I haven't been to many concerts so I can't really say
OK ^^ Fair enough.
As a listener of all music, let me say this to you, make me feel and I will freakin' be your blood relative. In other words, make me feel the music and I will be connected.
Fortunately or unfortunately, you are one of the very few people who think that way.
Comment hidden
It helps a lot, really :D So, thank you.

And yes, there is another question I forgot to add:
Would you change anything to the format of a classic concert?
Comment hidden
The dressing code, the space where the recital is given, the expected behavior of the audience, the way music is presented ... all those things that are not music but they play a roll at the moment of playing music.

For example, the fact that musicians are most likely to play with frac or in black colors and there is a very definite line between the interpreters and the public. Just to name one.
Comment hidden
Interesting!! You mean, for example, someone dressed with a militaire uniform (old fashioned) who plays war and military pieces ?

or how unexpected?
Comment hidden
View all replies
1. brings to mind "the four seasons" and number of different works by Bach and such.

2. depends on what emotions are behind the music. I don't like pieces that feel like they are dragging on and on and on or ones that feel static, that lack life or ones that just seem overplayed.

3. very much so I like finding new musicians/composers/bands

4. I like both for different reasons. if a piece is simple yet has a nice beat or has a neat feal to it sure. If the piece is complex yet unleases powerful emotions than I will enjoy it as well. Its more of a manner of 'do I like the song' than other factors.
I see I see :D Thanks

One question I forgot to add:

Would you change anything in the format of the classical concert?
other than having it to be a bit less formal and exploring on fringes of the range of what is considered classical.

it might help the gap between classical and the term known as 'epic' for emotional music used primarily in the film and gaming industry
Well, sure. 'classical music' per se is a wrong term. I think Bernstein did a superior job when he adopted the word 'exact'. Since, the real difference is that that kind of music is written on a paper and it should be played as exactly as possible as the composer intended, whereas rock, pop, R&B or any other genre not [link] . However, I do agree it is a bit too formal. It gives me a lot to think of. So thanks a lot for it :D

It brings a very interesting point I would like to go further in it. As a rethorical matter, would the audience would be really fond of hearing film and gaming music in a 'classical concert'? I will try that once.

Again, thanks a lot for your time.
thanks for the link it is an interesting read.

Unfortunately the majority thinks of classical music as rather sterile tune. I know its not just from my experience with the violin but before that I thought the same as well.

but when the majority think of music played by orchestras(that are not trans-siberian orchestra) they think of music from this time period and equate this with a dislike and boredom with the past.

attempting to change this impression would be for the better.

I personally would like to hear film and gaming music in a concert much as I would like to experience live performances of some bands.

and no problem on giving you a bit of time this has been interesting.