Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

I need your opinion

:iconpianocanival:
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
As a classic musician, I find difficulties entering to work somewhere, having gigs (that actually pay) and usually I can't connect with the audience easily (particularly because I like a lot music that is not 'conventional' even for classical standards). However, I want to know the opinion of everyone interested in any kind of music:

1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?

2. Do you like it? Why?

3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?

4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)

I'd be most grateful with all feedback you can give me :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfacerabies:
FaceRabies Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
SAVE X RADIO
THEY ARE TRYING TO SHUT US DOWN

[link]
:iconbotskiz:
Botskiz Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
- 1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?
I don't consider classical/academic music to be different from any other kind of music. I could probably find pieces/songs in any genre that I like, just like I could find some that I don't like.

- 2. Do you like it? Why?
This depends quite a lot on the piece or song. For example, I love "Moonlight Sonata" and "In the Hall of the Mountain King", but I have a hard time listening to "Ave Maria" and "Flight of the Bumblebee."

- 3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?
Sure, why not?

- 4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)
It always depends on which mood the piece is trying to convey. I can hardly imagine "Moonlight Sonata" to be filled with fast arpeggios, and "Flight of the Bumblebee" wouldn't work if you took the arpeggios out of it.

- 5. Would you change anything in the format of the classical concert?
I think this is a tough question, especially with artists/composers blurring the line between classical and modern music. In a faithful representation of Beethoven's 5th, it would be awkward to see people going crazy, but people wanted to headbang when Metallica played with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, which is absolutely fine by me. I guess being a little bit less formal might not be the worst idea for traditional orchestras playing rearranged versions of modern songs or film and videogame soundtracks, either.
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
First thanks a lot for the input. It's very helpful.

However, I have a doubt on your opinion. Just to be clear, would it be wrong if musicians were a little less formal when they play Beethoven's 5th Symphony? Not just modern music (like film or videogame), but all music?
:iconbotskiz:
Botskiz Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
You're welcome. As I said before, I think this question is hard to answer.

I guess what I meant is that the formality of the orchestra might aswell reflect the event, instead of being all formal all the time.
For example, wearing fracs is completely fine for gala banquets and such, but I wouldn't mind if the orchestra's dress code were less formal if they played for a younger audience that is not typically involved in classical music, even if they played Beethoven's 5th in both cases. Similarly, if you're playing with Metallica, you should expect the audience to be metal fans in jeans and t-shirts, so why not add some heavy metal to the orchestra's dresses?
That said, I'd always expect some uniformity in the orchestra's dress code, tough.
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've been thinking about this for the last 2 days. It makes a lot of sense. I shall look deeper into it. Again, thanks a lot.
:iconcecaria:
cecaria Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
1. What is the meaning for you when you hear classical/academic music?
Meaning? I really don't know. But to make me feel something-happyness/sadness/confused...etc

2. Do you like it? Why?
I enjoy classical music because it helps me focus when I do work that requires a lot of though (like science hw). It's also a good tool for escapism. And it's enjoyable to listen to

3. Would you be willing to experiment and hear from composers you have never heard before?
Yes. All composers were at some time new.

4. Simple v. Complex music? (take this question any way you want)
Both. There are times when one is better then the other and vice versa.
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
Awesome, thanks a lot.

A last question I forgot to add:

Would you change anything in the format of a classical concert?
:iconcecaria:
cecaria Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't been to many concerts so I can't really say
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
OK ^^ Fair enough.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
As a listener of all music, let me say this to you, make me feel and I will freakin' be your blood relative. In other words, make me feel the music and I will be connected.
Add a Comment: