Good lyrics- Bad lyrics

Personally, (and this is JUST personally), i think all lyrics should be written by Ed Sheeran! I'm fed up with rubbish lyrics which bring music down to the level of the uneducated and stupid (Ke$sha being an example)or those with repeated messages about break-up - make-up - love BS (i.e Taylor Swift), which literally killed any valuable meaning of those aspects of love and relationship. Overated fame!

So, what do you think make good/bad lyrics?

P/S: Sorry if i accidentally offended any Ke$sha's or TW's fans.
Comments34
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like System of a Down's lyrical ability... They're amazing. And almost all popular mainstream artists are shit
If every song was written by Ed Sheeran I'd give up music altogether.
No, not all lyrics should be written by Ed Sheeran. It would be a very depressing world. He is an extremely good lyricist, but it just wouldn't work. Also, Ed Sheeran belongs in the overrated crowd.

As a musician myself, I don't like to slash other peoples work or lyrics (minus the few which are stupid) because it's personal to them, even though if they're talking about bitch's and hoes etc. It's like their own creative baby. And mothers get overprotective of their babies.

I personally love Taylor Swift. I know she's overrated and very popular, but I think she's brilliant.

How would you feel if you wrote a song then people told you it was horrible?
Okay maybe i made it sound a bit too extreme when i said all lyrics should be written by him. I was just taking him as an example.
I hate Taylor swift, her music all sounds like "Wahh! I'm rich beautiful and famous and I can't have a fairy tail love life! Even though any average looking guy would give it to me! But I'm judging by looks only so ill never get my perfect love life!" .....although her face looks like a fucking breadstick to me
The best songwriters provoke thought, convey emotion and meticulously choose the words that will have the greatest impact on the listener. Frank Ocean does an amazing job of this.
Maybe i should go back to the 60s for the music.
What are you implying?
i'm implying that most of pop music nowadays is total rubbish.
What does that have to do with my first post?
nothing, nvm i'm replying to the wrong post.
Without ever having listened to a single Ed Sheeran song in my entire life, I can tell you that there are plenty of good lyricists out there. If you haven't found them yet, you're probably not listening to the right music.
Taking Ed Sheeran as an example does not mean i'm trashing all others lyricists.
And I'm not really saying that you are, only that there are many more good lyricists out there that aren't named Ed Sheeran.
yes, i know. I'm just taking him as an example. Maybe it sounded too extreme when i said all lyrics should be written by him.
I think good lyrics act as poetry (no, I don't mean rap); poetry that paints an image of the life of the artist at that time in his or her life; poetry that invokes an image or thought that makes you really think and ponder your own life. I think good lyrics make you understand yourself.
And sadly, about more than half of Pop music nowadays fail to have this quality to their songs...
It is definitely a sad thing. But the music business isn't what it was back in, say, the 1960's. It's all about money today. Why perfect your craft and try to make the best possible piece of work that you can, when you can release a mediocre piece of music that you know people will eat up, and make millions?
Yep, and the saddest part is the music producers decide to go with low value music because the majority of the listeners nowadays enjoy that crap. Kinda make you feel pessimistic about the level of class of this generation.
Oh, without a doubt. Today's music is lazy, just like today's generation.
I do agree with you. Partly. I believe that some songs that really just sound weird are really just the artist having fun. I don't believe every song has to have a deep meaning to it. Some times, people want songs that they can dance and have a good time to. And there is artist that do have great lyrics, you just have to dig deeper.
Yep yep, you're right. The thing that sucks, though, is that too many songs with horrible or meaningless lyrics are getting popular. Kinda make you judge the listeners a bit.
True , True. Maybe, but you still really have to meet the person. I think you may be able to judge the group of listeners as group. And by what type of music they listen to.