Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Genesis

:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Who else in here likes them? I'm kinda working my way backwards from Peter Gabriel's solo stuff into The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Selling England By the Pound, and Foxtrot. I think they're pretty rad.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Love Genesis, but I don't know too much about the different eras. We Can't Dance is one of my all-time favorite albums.
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The rough way to describe the different eras is Gabriel (prog), Collins (pop), and No Collins (more pop). I'm a fan of the first one, because that's where we get albums like "Selling England...", "Foxtrot", and "The Lamb...", all of which are pretty awesome.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Well I do love me some prog. Kansas is my favorite band, and ELO and Yes rank very high too. Gonna have to check those albums out, thanks.
Just put on Supper's Ready from "Foxtrot" and sit back in awe... "Selling England" is tighter and more radio friendly, and "The Lamb" is as amazing as its story line is incomprehensible.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Haha, will do.
:iconzeruch:
zeruch Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
The best version of the Lamb Lies Down was done by Giraffe (with Kevin Gilbert) live in 1994. If he had not died, Gilbert would likely have become the new Genesis singer.
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm watching it now on YouTube, and it sounds scary good in the first three minutes...
It's more muscular, more resonant, and Gilbert in the 90s was a better frontman than Gabriel in the 70s.

Gilberts own early work danced between 80s synth pop, weird art-rock, and eventually a synthesis of the two with rock opera/concept albums like "The Shaming of the True"

He was a genius.
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'll have to check him out.
He's worth delving into. His scope was broad; he helped discover and wrote most of Sheryl Crow's first album, he engineered for Madonna and Michael Jackson, he produced and played on records for Keith Emerson, Spocks Beard and Brand X. He was one hell of a weird duck.
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
OK, I'm listening to it now and "City of the Sun" just bowled me over like a cement truck outta nowhere. I'm impressed.
I think I'll be adding his The Shaming of the True to my future playlist.
zeruch Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
Earlier this year an "all star" (in the weirdest sense of the word, inasmuch as members of all his previous solo and band lineups conjoined into a KG big-band) tribute group got together and performed the entire TSoTT, along with an encore of random bits at a small (1000 seat) theater in SoCal.

It was let by Nick D'Virgilio and while he's no KG, the overall performance of the full rock opera was spectacular. I think they are going to release it as a DVD next year.
I have a lot to listen to today between TSoTT and Baby Snakes, but I think I'll manage.
(1 Reply)
:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I never had a Genesis, but my cousins did, and I played it a lot. I got really good at Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I had that game for PC when I was a kid. It was pretty fun.
:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They replaced some of the music on the PC version. :( Shame, cause I really like Ice Cap zone.
:c
:iconxxflamefrost101xx:
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
YUSH! I love 'em. My dad listened when I was a kiddie. :D
It was the Beatles for me, but I think my kids will grow up with a little Genesis too.
:iconxxflamefrost101xx:
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Cool! The Beatles are awesome, too
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Fuck yes. It took me a long time to get into their earlier music, but once I did they completely blew me away. In the past few weeks I've been rediscovering them and going through all their classics. There are some vibes in that music which I can't exactly describe with words, which "hits" me everytime I hear them. It may be because of a slight nostalgia factor since I haven't listened to them in ages, but I daresay they're my favourite band. :)
I'm going to see The Musical Box tour of The Lamb next week, assuming I don't die of excitement first...
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Lucky bastard! I'm hoping to see Steve Hackett next April, and since this is the Genesis Revisited II tour, I'm assuming he'll play most of their greatest songs. :D
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm happy to report that they completely nailed it. It was also kinda hilarious to see all those prog nerds play air organ, air drums, and pretty much every other air instrument along with the whole 2-hour concert. That takes a special kind of dedication...

Oh, and they closed with "The Musical Box" and "Watcher of the Skies", including the old man mask and the bat-wing cape, respectively :)
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I play air violin when listening to Kansas. :D
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I play air drums on occasion, but not for two full hours...
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
It must have been quite a show! I remember hearing some of their live recordings on Youtube and was quite stunned to hear how similar their singer sounds to Peter Gabriel :O
defaultking Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It was a shame his vocals were pretty buried in the mix, because they were as close to perfect as humanly possible... It was a merry Christmas after all :)
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I do like Peter Gabriel era Genesis, but I was always more of a fan of his solo material. Phil Collins era Genesis is just bland and lifeless to me. Actually Phil Collins in general is bland and lifeless to me.
I'm starting to like his Genesis work on par with his early solo stuff, which I suppose is odd considering how different they are. I don't really care for most of Phil's music either, but I respect him as a drummer. After all, he drummed for Genesis :P
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I can respect Collins as an instrumentalist , but not so much as a band leader.

I will say that The Carpet Crawlers is easily my favorite song by them. Hell I even like that remix version they did for one of their greatest hits album.
That one's great, but my absolute favorite is Back in NYC. It just kills me every time...
:iconpopstck:
popstck Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
his voice bothers me
Like, bothers you mentally? Emotionally? Or is it just odd?
bothers my eardrums
That's OK. I'll listen to him for you.
win - win
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Really? I love Gabriel's voice. =p
i hate it
:icontheonetheycalldusk:
TheOneTheyCallDusk Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I kinda dig 'em. Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance were pretty alright. Also worth mentioning that Phil Collins wrote what is possibly the greatest Disney song I've ever heard.
I know which song you're talking about. I haven't really listened to much Phil Collins Genesis, though I guess it's just more radio-friendly than the older stuff.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Collins didn't write any music for the Jungle Book. :evileye:
Tarzan and Brother Bear. Incidentally, I liked Gabriel's "Down to Earth" from Wall-E better than the whole Tarzan soundtrack...
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Indeed, I was implying that no Disney films has better songs than Jungle Book. :B

But Gabriel did the soundtrack to Wall-E? :noes:
He did the last song and contributed to another one. The best one, I might add.
The best, as one would expect. :nod:
Yes. Also, didn't your avatar used to be the Mouth of Sauron? I miss that avatar in the forums...
Sauron? Nooooo... it was a section from one of my paintings. :lol: I should come into this forum more often, but it's slower than it used to be.
(1 Reply)
:icontheonetheycalldusk:
TheOneTheyCallDusk Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wait a minute...

ohhhhhhhhh. :slow:
Add a Comment: