Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Genesis

:icondefaultking:
defaultking Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Who else in here likes them? I'm kinda working my way backwards from Peter Gabriel's solo stuff into The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Selling England By the Pound, and Foxtrot. I think they're pretty rad.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Love Genesis, but I don't know too much about the different eras. We Can't Dance is one of my all-time favorite albums.
defaultking Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The rough way to describe the different eras is Gabriel (prog), Collins (pop), and No Collins (more pop). I'm a fan of the first one, because that's where we get albums like "Selling England...", "Foxtrot", and "The Lamb...", all of which are pretty awesome.
JZLobo Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Well I do love me some prog. Kansas is my favorite band, and ELO and Yes rank very high too. Gonna have to check those albums out, thanks.
defaultking Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Just put on Supper's Ready from "Foxtrot" and sit back in awe... "Selling England" is tighter and more radio friendly, and "The Lamb" is as amazing as its story line is incomprehensible.
JZLobo Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Haha, will do.
:iconzeruch:
zeruch Dec 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
The best version of the Lamb Lies Down was done by Giraffe (with Kevin Gilbert) live in 1994. If he had not died, Gilbert would likely have become the new Genesis singer.
defaultking Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm watching it now on YouTube, and it sounds scary good in the first three minutes...
It's more muscular, more resonant, and Gilbert in the 90s was a better frontman than Gabriel in the 70s.

Gilberts own early work danced between 80s synth pop, weird art-rock, and eventually a synthesis of the two with rock opera/concept albums like "The Shaming of the True"

He was a genius.
defaultking Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'll have to check him out.
He's worth delving into. His scope was broad; he helped discover and wrote most of Sheryl Crow's first album, he engineered for Madonna and Michael Jackson, he produced and played on records for Keith Emerson, Spocks Beard and Brand X. He was one hell of a weird duck.
Add a Comment: