Genesis

Who else in here likes them? I'm kinda working my way backwards from Peter Gabriel's solo stuff into The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Selling England By the Pound, and Foxtrot. I think they're pretty rad.
Comments56
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Love Genesis, but I don't know too much about the different eras. We Can't Dance is one of my all-time favorite albums.
The rough way to describe the different eras is Gabriel (prog), Collins (pop), and No Collins (more pop). I'm a fan of the first one, because that's where we get albums like "Selling England...", "Foxtrot", and "The Lamb...", all of which are pretty awesome.
Well I do love me some prog. Kansas is my favorite band, and ELO and Yes rank very high too. Gonna have to check those albums out, thanks.
Just put on Supper's Ready from "Foxtrot" and sit back in awe... "Selling England" is tighter and more radio friendly, and "The Lamb" is as amazing as its story line is incomprehensible.
Haha, will do.
The best version of the Lamb Lies Down was done by Giraffe (with Kevin Gilbert) live in 1994. If he had not died, Gilbert would likely have become the new Genesis singer.
I'm watching it now on YouTube, and it sounds scary good in the first three minutes...
It's more muscular, more resonant, and Gilbert in the 90s was a better frontman than Gabriel in the 70s.

Gilberts own early work danced between 80s synth pop, weird art-rock, and eventually a synthesis of the two with rock opera/concept albums like "The Shaming of the True"

He was a genius.
I'll have to check him out.
He's worth delving into. His scope was broad; he helped discover and wrote most of Sheryl Crow's first album, he engineered for Madonna and Michael Jackson, he produced and played on records for Keith Emerson, Spocks Beard and Brand X. He was one hell of a weird duck.
OK, I'm listening to it now and "City of the Sun" just bowled me over like a cement truck outta nowhere. I'm impressed.
I think I'll be adding his The Shaming of the True to my future playlist.
Earlier this year an "all star" (in the weirdest sense of the word, inasmuch as members of all his previous solo and band lineups conjoined into a KG big-band) tribute group got together and performed the entire TSoTT, along with an encore of random bits at a small (1000 seat) theater in SoCal.

It was let by Nick D'Virgilio and while he's no KG, the overall performance of the full rock opera was spectacular. I think they are going to release it as a DVD next year.
View all replies
I never had a Genesis, but my cousins did, and I played it a lot. I got really good at Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
I had that game for PC when I was a kid. It was pretty fun.
They replaced some of the music on the PC version. :( Shame, cause I really like Ice Cap zone.
YUSH! I love 'em. My dad listened when I was a kiddie. :D
It was the Beatles for me, but I think my kids will grow up with a little Genesis too.
Cool! The Beatles are awesome, too
Fuck yes. It took me a long time to get into their earlier music, but once I did they completely blew me away. In the past few weeks I've been rediscovering them and going through all their classics. There are some vibes in that music which I can't exactly describe with words, which "hits" me everytime I hear them. It may be because of a slight nostalgia factor since I haven't listened to them in ages, but I daresay they're my favourite band. :)
I'm going to see The Musical Box tour of The Lamb next week, assuming I don't die of excitement first...
Lucky bastard! I'm hoping to see Steve Hackett next April, and since this is the Genesis Revisited II tour, I'm assuming he'll play most of their greatest songs. :D
I'm happy to report that they completely nailed it. It was also kinda hilarious to see all those prog nerds play air organ, air drums, and pretty much every other air instrument along with the whole 2-hour concert. That takes a special kind of dedication...

Oh, and they closed with "The Musical Box" and "Watcher of the Skies", including the old man mask and the bat-wing cape, respectively :)