Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour


Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012


Replies: 11

Term when you keep adding more and more instruments

DryBonesReborn Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Say you have a beat, then you add in a trumpet, etc

Example: "Dark Eyes," by Stan Kenton

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Fzang Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist
Layering in electronic music is actually where you play multiple instruments in unison (such as layers of multiple synths), to create a combined fat sound that spans many frequencies.

I'd call it build up, or progression. Just not layering, because that's a reserved term.
DryBonesReborn Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you. I guess it's jazz, they keep adding more and more untill all of them end in one note.
LadyAnder Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you have a beat and have an instrument play off-beat, I have no idea if that is called something else. That is just part of the harmony because the melody is the dominating sound, anything else that is part of harmony.
DryBonesReborn Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I'm used to normal intro of instruments.

I mean, it's sort of like you keep adding more and more instruments untill there are tons of them. It's not just two, with some singer. I guess so. Xadrea thinks it's 'layering.'
LadyAnder Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Layering is from what I understand is when you are electronically making a sound. In an orchestral setting it's different.

How orchestral music works is that everyone had a different part. You either play melody and harmony. Within the melody and the harmony the parts are different. Sometimes instruments come in at different points in a song. If you are directly looking at sheet music of a song and compare the different sections, say like violin and cello, it will look totally different. A group of instruments may be playing while another section of the orchestra just have a series of rests. Now if there is a word for it, I can't think of it.

Really the better example of this I can think of on the top of my head that you are talking about is The Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg.
That is the best recording I could find but I've heard better.
I played it, somewhat of a difficult song to play because not only does everyone kind of step in a moment and step out, but it starts increasing in tempo and getting louder.
Xadrea Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I think it's called layering, but you could mention it as the best melody or harmony kicking in
tk-for-short Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
layers of instrumentation
HGWizard Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I couldn't find the song you talking about unfortunately. I did find a nice jazz tune called Dark Eyes by Stan Getz and Dizzy Gillespie!

I think there can be a lot of terms for it. Layering like Pakaku said is one. Also depends on what you mean by a "beat" too.

Orchestrating, arranging, harmonizing, composing I guess could all be terms.
Hopefully that helps, I'm really trying :P
Hurricaneclaw Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Juliabohemian Dec 11, 2012  Professional Photographer
Textural modulation?
Add a Comment: