Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Why are so many songs about love?

:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Dec 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
I can't help but notice that it seems about 90% of songs pertain to love/relationships in some way. I know love is a powerful force, but it is only one aspect of many in life. Why in your opinion has love seem to have been the sole inspiration for so much music out there?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwillwriteforhearts:
willwriteforhearts Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
because love, romantic or not, is something that's always present in human lives (or not present); it's something that evoke a lot of emotion, which is something song writers usually need to write a song.
:iconfzang:
Fzang Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist
It's intangible, can be described with a billion different words and appeals to the majority of the population, because everyone can somehow relate to it.
:iconmagmagan:
It's cheap and it sells to teens (who buy most of the music).
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The same reason some sort of romantic plot is tagged onto every goddamn non-fantasy (and even some fantasy, which annoys the shit out of me) story out there, in whatever medium of choice.

In pretty much all human media from any culture ever, there are three major motivators. At least one is always used to drive the plot along, or at least a character arc along. The three are: beliefs (political beliefs, moral values, religion, whatever), revenge, and love. No matter what human culture you take from, those three are prevalent themes in every single medium.

Love is ingrained in the human psyche. This makes it easy to relate to for all people--for the artists, that means people will relate to them and everyone will feel happy. For the executives, that means they are guaranteed an audience and therefore, money.
:iconkittymrowmrow:
KittyMrowMrow Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Because people like to whine about how they can't get a date? o-o
:iconaoikita:
AoiKita Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Love is one of the more dramatic things people experience, and lets be honest, most of us first-world people don't really experience anything terrible in our daily lives , so they got nothing better to sing about....and also, some people don't have very meaningful passions or even lead their own personality, lol. They think romance will spare them of all the voids in their life, there I noticed, are many clingy songs....(like some oldies on my work station who make people sound really desperate and stalkerlike)

For example, some people sing about nature or subtle topics (and are far more pleasant to listen to sometimes).

Also I guess because it sells. Back to buying people by singing them what they want to hear, right? boy bands sing to girls and woo them, some woman can go with terrible voices but have the ideal appearance, so men buy them, heavy music sells to angry people, etc.

The industry is pretty corrupt if you ask me...I don't even enjoy the celebrity gossip stuff that much..it's so ridiculous.
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Depends on the genre: I have to look hard to find love songs when it comes to epic (power) metal or celtic metal.

Though I guess most of the pop songs are about it. Considering that most of our actions are either for reproduction or self-preservation, I guess it does sum up a big part of our daily life.

The love which is sung about in songs... seems just plain weird to me. Most people just tell me that once I'm in love I'll wish to sing about it too.
... Has not happened so far. d:

Can't say I like the idea of listening to it in my free time and no one is stupid enough to pay me for it. :D
:iconmsmuffinphotography:
MsMuffinPhotography Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
A lot of the songs that I listen to are about love, whether it be about the happiness it brings or the sadness and anger that results when love does not work out.
I always think of it this way; Music, and art in general, often express one's emotions and can be cathartic for the creator.
If you have strong feelings related to love at the time, you have a strong influence to fuel your work, and it often, but not always, results in a particularly exceptional product. :) Love gives you something to write about, if nothing else will.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
It can either lead to a sincere song where you feel that the singer MEANS what they say... Or a forgettable bland piece of commercial crap that is so manufactured it almost has a tag on it, where the singer uses the words "baby," "oooh ah ah!" and "Oh yeaah!,"

Or in the case of Enrique Iglesias, blatantly telling the woman that tonight, he shall be having intercourse with her, regardless of how she feels, it is also a love song.
:iconelliegarcia:
EllieGarcia Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes I've been thru that too. All these weeping people on the radio. Beh.
It helped me a lot to change to Punk Rock and soon to Indietronic :)
Hate, Peace, Happiness.
Add a Comment: