Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Is this a subgenre of soul?

:iconzerostorm91:
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ive been listening to a few tracks that I really like and would like to find some more songs that sound familiar but for the love of me I cant find anything.
the songs are from what Ive read meant to be soul but im not convinced. They are

sail on- the commodores
drift away-
Allie- patrick stump (Is compared a lot to vintage prince soul)

Other soul sounds so bad compared and just generally too soft for my liking. So what genre is this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Writer
D'Angelo, maybe some Frank Ocean?
:iconthespritefish:
thespritefish Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
wow a cross between punk and soul for me and a little bit of jazz and contemporary i think.. whatever it is, it's genius.
Yes ! Those artists are truly geniuses for thinking of this type of music, there's so much heart in these songs. What kind of artists do you listen to?
:iconthespritefish:
thespritefish Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i listen to many genres but i love jazz the most.i also like soul but i don't know many artists that feature that kind of genre aside from amy winehouse so i was happy to listen to what you shared. thanks :meow:
:iconfzang:
Fzang Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist
To the above, I would like to suggest Shapeshifter. Very diverse funk/soul/DnB style.

[link]
[link]
[link]
Their very cool, sleepless is the track I love most out of those Its an awesome song. Thanks for the links
:iconfzang:
Fzang Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist
Obviously, Psychrophyte's post isn't above, if you have "newest first".

>_>
:iconno-doves-fly-here:
no-doves-fly-here Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
The Commodores are soul, though they lean more towards funk. Patrick Stump's music is a combination of synthpop, dance punk and funk. Give Al Wilson, Jun Mayuzumi, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, Freda Payne, Gloria Jones, Marvin Gaye, and The Cupids, a listen.

The Northern Soul, Nippon Girl, Carolina Beach Music and Modern Soul scenes are where all the good stuff is at. Some neo-soul and fusion stuff is good too, like Erykah Badu, Me'Shell NdegéOcello, Hil St. Soul, Aloe Blacc. Some old ska (one of the precursory genres to reggae) has strong soul and jazz/bebop influence as well, such as Roland Alphonso's "Blackberry Brandy".
I love all of the older stuff you suggested especially AI Wilson and the cupids. You obvoiusly have a lot of knowledge when i it comes to this sort of music. I think the other more modern artists you mentioned are just too jazzy for me ( I'm very picky on my music tastes :P. Thanks for all the links though much appreciated :thumbsup:
Add a Comment: