Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

I want more stuff to listen to! (metal)

:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Here's just a few of the bands I listen to. (My absolute favourites are bolded)

Seven Kingdoms
Diablo
Morbid Angel
Fintroll
Amorphis
Sentenced
My dying bride
Paradise lost
Norther
Type O negative
Ghost Brigade
Motorhead
Tristania
Sonata Arctica
Charon
Before the dawn
ensiferum
Amberian Dawn
Arch enemy
Dismember

Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconresurrectiondreams:
ResurrectionDreams Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You might like Diabulus in Musica, Xandria, Raintime, Mygrain, or Verjnuarmu.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
As a Sonata Arctica fan I've always had Stratovarious recommended for me, but I've never found them particulary similar :shrug: Try them and see, might be that I'm wrong :lol:
:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Writer
Why not sólstafir? [link]
:iconevolkrow1379:
evolkrow1379 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm going to go with Otep, Eths, Sikth, Periphery and Chthonic
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist
Equilibrium
Tyr
The Absence
Draconian
Shape of Despair
Nile
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Evoken

Small list to start, I suppose.
:icondbguardian:
DBguardian Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Insomnium[link]
Celtic Frost[link]
Illdisposed[link]
Acid Bath[link]
:iconriseofgreenbean:
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
My suggestions:

Rammstein
Eisbrecher
Dir en Grey[link]
Yaksa
Ritual Day
Horizons [link]
Equilibrium
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Equilibrium

:iconbrofistemoteplz:
:icondwarfeater:
dwarfeater Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist
Death [link]

Mastodon [link]

Tool [link]

Sleep [link]

Kyuss [link]

Celtic Frost [link]
:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wintersun
Stratovarius
:iconlaika-chan:
Laika-chan Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nile: [link]
Ghost: [link]
Omen: [link]
Wolfchant: [link]
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
This is in my opinion the most incredible metal song ever: [link]

And here are a few other things I really love:

[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

That's all I can think of right now.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
Check out Stoned Jesus. Fucking masterpieces they got.

Oh, and Anal Cunt too.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yeah, no.
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You mock our musical genre of choice on the shallow basis of group names. I applaud your sheer, unparalleled originality. :clap:

Now, let's see what your musical genre of choice is. Time to visit your profile and scour the musical groups you stuffed into your "Interests" fields...

...Ooh, underground hip-hop! This should be easy.

I heard that Blokkmonsta dude is dope on the mic, yeah? That group CunninLynguists probably has some deep lyrics, probably about the world and its myriad problems. Oh, and how about those Axe Murder Boyz! They just keep pumping out masterpieces left and fucking right. :la:

I'll be sure to post more of these wonderful groups when you decide to post a thread asking for honest hip-hop suggestions.
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
...yeaaaahhhh I've never even heard of Blokkmonsta, CunninLynguists and Axe Murder Boyz.

I primarily listen to Aesop Rock, Eyedea and Don Johnson Big Band when it comes to hip-hop, who are all considered "underground hip-hop". Alas, I figured that was simply the best fitting term. And yeah, they all have very deep lyrics. And if you want examples I'ma provide.
:iconcarmalain7:
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Last i checked, all those - especially Aesop - are pretty well known and on pretty large hip-hop labels, hardly 'underground' to anyone who is actually a hip-hop fan. Also, how do you call yourself a fan of the genre when you haven't heard CunninLynguists?! Get on that, mans!
:stereo:

Lastly, i pretty sure he mis-replied this comment to you rather than the other person. :p
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'd still classify them as underground -- sure if you know the genre you know the artists, but I remain to believe that to most hip hop is about cash and bitches. I also don't call myself a fan of the genre, just some certain artists of it :P But I'll keep the name in mind!

And eh, well I dunno :P
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I understand where you're coming from, but I still cannot possibly call a band/artist underground if they're on a large label, that's just too oxymoronic for me. Also be sure to check out Del Tha Funkee Homosapien and MF Doom if you haven't already as they strike me as artists that would be up your alley.
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Filmographer
White Zombie, Kyuss, Melvins, Electric Wizard, Genghis Tron, High on Fire, Boris, Sepultura, Probot, Corrosion of Conformity, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Gigantic Brain, Voivod, Ministry
:iconmagmagan:
Magmagan Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Persuader, Creation's end, Triosphere, Pyramaze... Nothing much comes to mind now.
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Anathema, Epica, In Flames :shrug:?
:iconlankss:
Lankss Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Cloudkicker
Hjalmar Almgren
Wide Eyes
Sithu Aye ***********amazing btw***********
Substructure
Protolith
Uneven Structures
CHON
:iconzombiepunked:
zombiepunked Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Traditional Artist
if your into metal, nevermore is by far the most metal band there is.
i also suggest children of nova, they're super new and only have one ep but its great
mastodon and opeth are good choices too
:iconxxarishaxpxx:
xxarishaxpxx Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Mortification
Megadeth
Extol
As They Sleep
Impending Doom
Becoming the Archetype
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Shadows of Paragon
A Thousand Times Repent
Hilastherion

These are all ones that were recommended to me by a friend of mine when I was looking for new music, I've only checked out a few of them, but I do like what I've listened to.
(Kudos for Arch Enemy being in your absolute favourites)
:iconsleinadflar:
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Moonspell (Portugal's answer to TON, but heavier) [link]
seconding Primordial (Irish folk/pagan with loads of doom)[link]
Anathema (you can't listen to MDB and Paradise Lost, but missing (older) Anathema!), [link] [link]
seconding Moonsorrow (simply the best Finnish folk metal band in existence),[link]
post-reunion Celtic Frost and Triptykon (crushingly heavy doom metal), [link]
Winter (TON on prozac), [link]
Life Of Agony (a more emo/hardcore version of TON), [link]
Maybe Therion (early old-school Swedish death, later symphonic/operatic/power)[link] [link]
and The Gathering (early PL-ish death/doom, mid-period gothic (Mandylion is simply the best in its genre); avoid the newer albums). [link]
Maybe even The 3rd And The Mortal (undescribable) [link]

{I can't recommend any euro power metal, because power metal starts and ends with Helloween's "Walls Of Jericho" for me. IOW, I don't like euro power metal.}
:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Cannibal Corpse
Necrophagist
Korn
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You like Ensiferum, so I'm almost certain you already listen to Wintersun... is that correct?

It seems to me that you enjoy folk metal and melodic death metal. Luckily for you, both are genres I adore.

Folk metal suggestions:

• Eluveitie

• Equilibrium

• Forefather

• Kälter

• Mithotyn

• Moonsorrow*

• Suidakra

• Windir*

*also black metal

Melodic death metal suggestions:

• Anterior

• Be'lakor (look these guys up before you look any of these others up... these guys are just fantastic)

• Dark Tranquillity

• Heaven Shall Burn (also part metalcore)

• Kalmah

• Opeth (note: their newest album is classic rock)

• Scar Symmetry

• Symphony X (their newer stuff is much more in line with melodeath, their older stuff ranges from gothic metal to symphonic thrash)

• Woe of Tyrants

You also seem to like gothic metal, doom metal, and power metal. For gothic metal, take a look at Xandria. Note that their newest album is mostly symphonic metal with many folk tendencies. For doom metal, take a look at Ahab. For power metal, go check out Persuader. (I love power metal but Persuader seems to be the only power metal band that I own music by :XD:)

If you ever want any black metal suggestions, I can help you there as well.
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
That may be the first time i've ever seen Moonsorrow and Windir called Folk Metal or Heaven Shall Burn, Opeth, Symphony X, or Woe of Tyrants called Melodic Death Metal - also, any melodeath list without later Carcass or Hypocrisy on it needs to be revamped, just sayin'. =D
Moonsorrow and Windir are primarily black metal (which is why I marked them as such), but they have some folk influence. The reverse is also true for some bands: Forefather is primarily folk metal, but you can tell they have many black metal tendencies (blast-beating, tremolo riffs, shrieking vocals). Hence why I would suggest Forefather on a list of black metal suggestions. Same applies here.

As for melodeath--you could argue semantics. Melodeath is a very flexible subgenre. Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquillity, and Be'lakor (all of which are bands that are unarguably melodeath--well, SS cuts down the middle) sound almost nothing alike. Conversely, despite Be'lakor clearly being melodeath, they sound like Opeth many times throughout their discography--one of my friends was actually repulsed by one of the songs off their debut because of how much it sounded like they were trying to imitate Opeth's My Arms Your Hearse (he still loves the hell out of both bands overall though). Opeth is perhaps a band I'd put on any metal suggestion list, regardless of the subgenre in question (unless the list is metalcore), because they dabble in so many different styles. Woe of Tyrants is... debatable. They're mostly technical death, but they can be plenty melodic at times. (I will give you Symphony X and Heaven Shall Burn without a fight though--suggesting them was somewhat far-reaching of me)

I don't listen to much Hypocrisy or Carcass, in fact I just learned Carcass was melodeath thanks to you (before now I just saw their name on lists on metal sites and such).
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
i'm not arguing that there isn't a reason people feel better calling them Pegan Black Metal bands than Black Metal bands, i'm just saying that this is definitely my first time ever seeing them on a Folk Metal list. =p
(and you better not list Forefather on a list of BM suggestions, don't insult BM like that)

When you have a band as foundational to a Sub-Genre as Opeth, everyone is going to try and take as much of that sound and make it their own - no matter from what genre they hail. That being said, due to the fact that Opeth's foundational genre is Progressive Death Metal/Progressive Black Metal, you'd gotta have an extremely good reason why not to label them with the genre they helped create, imo. I don't really care enough about Woe of Tyrants to argue any semantics where they're concerned - from my experiences, people who like them just tend to because the frontman is Christian.

As far as not having listened to Hypocrisy or Carcass, i'm so happy to have informed you of them - seriously, go listen to them, they - along with At the Gates (who should be mentioned as well actually) and In Flames (who should not be mentioned) - sculpted Melodeath.

But yeah, i'm glad to see that yours is the only list that actually has tried to address the guys tastes and list and not just suggest nothing but personal favorites.
Well, to Forefather's credit, they could serve as a nice gateway band into black metal, similarly to how August Burns Red eased me into progressive and melodeath (they caught me with their metalcore half when I was really into metalcore, then showed me other subgenres).

Can't argue with what you said about Opeth.

Woe of Tyrants--to be honest, I'm really only a fan of one of their albums: Kingdom of Might. Their other albums are neat too, but that one is really good. Lots of good technical guitar-work. I also had no idea their frontman is Christian (not that it matters to me).

I actually bought an album by Hypocrisy some time ago--The Final Chapter. I admittedly didn't give it too many listens, but a few songs stood out to me (the only one that I remember the name of is "A Coming Race"). What other albums would you recommend by them?

I'm aware that At the Gates and In Flames both (on top of DT) had a hand in the development of melodeath... I just forgot. :XD: I feel ashamed, too, because The Jester Race is among my favorite albums of all time (I agree that In Flames has suffered from Metallica Syndrome since the late 1990s). I never listened to At the Gates... that's about to be fixed (as well as my lack of Carcass listening).

To iTunes!
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
Hypocrisy's best are probably either 'Abducted' or their self titled, but yeah, every release of theirs is certainly worth a listen to. As for At the Gates, 'Slaughter of the Soul' and 'The Red in the Sky is Ours' are absolute staples, and for Carcass everything up to 'Heartwork' would be considered in the Grindcore subgenre of Death Metal (the best the subgenre has to offer actually) with a compositional transition immediately proceeding their release of 'Necroticism' leading to both 'Heartwork' and 'Swansongs' being melodeath releases (that said 'Heartwork' is much better than Swansongs and probably one of, if not the best melodeath release ever).
:iconmiine:
miine Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I like Nightwish, but mostly their old tracks (with Tarja singing)or their newest work. I'm not that much for their songs with Anette as the singer.. Anyway if you google finnish metal band, you'll probably find something you like. We actually got some good bands here ^^
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It seems that you'd like powermetal. These are well known so I doubt you haven't listened to them, but I'll list them anyway since nobody mentioned them:
-Rhapsody
-Firewind
-Edguy
-Lamb of God
-Falconer
-Majesty
:iconskyfire2008:
SkyFire2008 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Alestorm: [link]
Schattentantz: [link]
Tuatha de Danann: [link]

The Dillinger Escape Plan: [link]
Converge: [link]
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Digital Artist
Korpiklaani
Turias
Primordial
Eyehategod
Blind Guardian
Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom
Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend
Corrosion of Conformity
Demons and Wizards
Bolt Thrower
Dream Theater
Alestorm
Celtachor

I can go through the rest of my external hard drive and pick out more. I personally know Celtachor. =B
I already listen to korpiklaani, turias, children of bodom, and dream theater :lol:

I'll go through the rest though, thanks.:la:
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Digital Artist
I found some more if that helps. =]

Heaven Shall Burn
Helloween
In Earthed
Satyricon

That's all I can find on my laptop. :noes:
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
With what you have listed you would probably love Cradle of Filth, thy are my favorite of all time. :aww:( also I love Arch Enemy too. )
Also consider Whitechapel or The Acadia Strain.
Best Songs by Whitechapel
1) possession
2) reprogrammed to hate

Best Songs by The Acadia Strain
1) Jonestown
2) Dr. Doom
I've added a few cradle of filth and white chapel songs to my spotify playlist. Doesn't seem like spotify has the acadia strain, though.
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
oh, that sucks....:|
Add a Comment: