Best or Your Favorite Guitar Players

who do you think is the best guitar player, or just post some of your favorite. i havnt listented to music with guitars all my life and i've recently started i'm maybe about close to a year of experimenting with a bunch of different people and bands. but i've come across a few that i really like, they are:

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)- i think he plays very well, and if he writes his guitar music he is very skilled, i loved him on MTV Unplugged

Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King (Slayer)- i really like a lot of slayers songs, i think they play very well, whoever does their guitarts is very skilled and plays distinctivly, i love the guitars on the opening of their song "Criminally Insane"

Michael Keene (The Faceless)- I like how michael keene plays in this band, i love how he played on the song "The Legion of the Serpent"

Necrophagist- whoever plays their guitars is very skilled. i like songs like: "stabwound", and only ash remains

Cannibal Corpse- the guitars in their music often have a great and distninct sound
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Annie Clark is rad too.
Nels Cline. His guitar wanking at least sounds nice.
Joe Satriani and John Frusciante
God, I swear, it's like Music Forum snobs wait for threads like this to bust out their most obscure references.

"Yeah, my favorite guitarist? Some unheard-of avant garde jazz guitarist from Croatia who released a few tapes in the mid-80's, that guy played with so much expression and feeling!"
Tosin Abasi from AAL
10:

Vernon Reid
Allan Holdsworth
Tim Miller
Robert Fripp
Steve Rothery
Skip McDonald
John McLaughlin
Trevor Rabin
Bill Frisell
Andy Summers
Henry John Deutschendorf.

Junior.

:D
To avoid bombarding this thread with a gigantic sterile list of random musicians, I'll say Fred Frith because he was fantastic in Henry Cow and did great solo work of varying styles, especially "Guitar Solos"; Derek Bailey because he was one of the most significant free improvisers ever; and Sonny Sharrock because nobody else did guitar as well in free jazz / avant-garde jazz. Somebody might bring up James Blood Ulmer on that note but I could never get into him much.
Mick Ronson
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Paco de Lucia - [link]

Johnny Thunders - [link]

Agata Ichirou - [link]
Tosin Abasi
Misha Mansoor
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Jimi Hendrix
Wes Montgomery
Joe pass
Dameon Aranda
Tom Morello
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Jimmy Page
Lzzy Hale
Billy Duffy - The Cult - [link]
Jon Schaffer - Iced Earth - [link]
Troy Seele - Iced Earth - [link]
Elias Viljanen - Sonata Arctica - [link]
Stevie Ray Vaughan - [link]
im checking these people out.

apparently theres a lot i havnt heard of. lol.
Andy LaRocuque of King Diamond
Dave Murray of Iron Maiden
Yngwie Malmsteen
Alexi Liaho
Peter White
Mark Knopfler

I could go on!
Has anyone mentioned Van Halen yet?
John McLaughlin, Duane Denison, Kevin Shields, Buzz Osbourne, J. Mascis, Robert Fripp, Grant Green, Frank Zappa, Trey Spruance, Jimi Hendrix, Andy Gill, Dave Navarro, Devin Townsend, Snakefinger, Elliott Smith, Vernon Reid, Adrian Belew, Josh Homme, Tony Iommi, Eddie Hazel, John Frusciante, Keith Levene, Mark Knopfler, Stuart Braithwaite, Kim Thayil, James Blood Ulmer, Steve Vai, Nick Drake, Andy Partridge, Billy Zoom, Johnny Marr, East Bay Ray, Wata, Greg Ginn, Joe Satriani, D. Boon, Ron Asheton, Dr. Know, Graham Coxon, , Steve Albini, Yamamoto Seiichi, Doug Martsch, T. Rex, Michael Karoli, Zoot Horn Rollo, Ian Mackaye, Tom Verlaine, Glenn Branca, Tim Sult, Eric Clapton, Django Reinhardt, Trey Anastasio, Larry LaLonde, and Sterling Morrison
Oh my goodness, respect for listing Zoot Horn Rollo and Tom Verlaine. And that reminds me I oughtta listen to that Residents album with Snakefinger on it. I heard a tiny bit of You yes yes yes or whatever the track is called and I knew I'd have to eventually.
If you're gonna go with the Residents albums he was on, I'd suggest Eskimo, The Commercial Album, Duck Stab, The Third Reich 'n Roll, and Fingerprince.
The latter one, that's the one I was thinking of, but I didn't know he was on more than that at all. I did also hear Eskimo. Don't distinctly remember any guitar parts unless he played other instruments.
Snakefinger's solo stuff is pretty boss too.
Steve Hackett [link]
Steve Howe [link]
Adrian Belew [link] (He's the dude playing the guitar solos in this song) [link]
Robert Fripp [link]
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez [link]
Brian May - his licks are instantly recognisable, and his use of distortion is very well executed; doesn't have extreme technical facility, but is very melodic