Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

Dream Guitars

:iconcarmalain7:
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
So i've managed to somehow save enough money to where, even post christmas shopping, i'll have some left over and that, along with what i might get for christmas, might finally allow me to make a much needed guitar upgrade. Obviously, this is pretty much the most exciting thing ever!

In lieu of this, my question to you all is, what is your dream guitar? If you could have any guitar out there (and as realistically or unrealistically as possible) what would you have? Why would you get that guitar? What music would you play on it?

I'd just like to see what all everyone dreams about and how alike/different all our preferences are. =D

[as always, links are appreciated]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondaydreamnation94:
Daydreamnation94 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I've got my dream setup... mesa boogie mark v head, gibson sg standard+nail bomb pickups, gibson sg 1961 reissue+ aftermath pickups, axe fx 2 mKII.

But a 60's custom shop les paul wouldn't hurt and a ESP eclipse for that matter.
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Dude... i think you have my dream set up as well... can we be friends? =p
Daydreamnation94 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Lol I don't think any musician is ever really satisfied with their gear/tone xD
Yeah, if we were then what the hell would we do with all that money we'd save? Probably actually get a decent apartment or something responsible - ridiculous!
Daydreamnation94 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Ah fuck responsibility! So what's your setup at the mo or soon to be setup?
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Gibson Les Paul Heritage Cherry Sunburst. *drool*
:iconfenrir1987:
Fenrir1987 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
While Falcon Gretsch - Billy Duffy of The Cult. Shame they don't make a signature guitar for him. But a standard White Falcon would be amazing.
:iconfenrir1987:
Fenrir1987 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
He's got so many though lol. You'd think they'd do a signature one. Brian Setzer sig gretsch's are cool too.
They probably only didn't make one because they thought he'd break it. =p
:iconnegative-letter:
Negative-Letter Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
A baritone Ibanez RG, either white or some kind of burst, with their tremolo system installed, along with 24 frets.
:iconsmile-imight2:
smile-iMight2 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't play the guitar, and I don't know how. But I would like to learn how, hopefully on this type of guitar...

[link]
:iconryllshados:
RyllShados Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, it looks like I'm a classical player in a room full of electric guitarists. I love my Martin, I have a DCX1E [link] , which I absolutely love. The action is low enough that I can do my pure classical style pieces, but the steel strings give me a good sound for performances (especially if I'm doing a self-accompaniment). Not much help if you're looking for an electric, but my absolute dream guitar (which I would never, ever dare to touch) is actually a custom guitar. There's a fellow in Switzerland who makes them by hand, and they sound incredible. Go look up Per-Olov Kindgren if you want to hear what one sounds like.
:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I've always thought "Black Beauties" (the black Gibson Les Paul Custom) are gorgeous. I am not worthy enough to even think of owning one though.
[link]
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Why do we fall back down?

To get back up and keep practicing guitar and power slides of course! You'll be worthy of a Black Beauty in no time.
:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks, you are right. Its all a matter of practice and dedication.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
A black Gibson explorer (right handed).

Or a Gibson Flying V (Gothic design).
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
So a Gibson man, any chance you were influenced at all by Metalocalypse? i've always wondered how much Gibson's investment into that sponsorship has actually seen dividends.
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nah, they're a nice guitar brand and my uncle has one. Metalocalypse is a funny show, though.
Forgot the links:
[link]
[link]
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
The original Red Special.
:iconfacepalmmaster:
Facepalmmaster Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, my dream [i]bass[/i] would be a ritter. But if were talking the bass that i have a chance of getting, definitely the musicman stingray. Look em up if you dont know em, theyre amazing. Slappin all the way, just like my man Flea
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Basses are guitars too, they just have the preface 'bass' in front of guitar. I actually got an Ibanez SR-400 a couple years back and literally could not be happier; don't think i'll be upgrading it in a long time. That being said, i've played a Musicman Stingray before, and they're the shit for most anything - awesome guitar.
:iconfacepalmmaster:
Facepalmmaster Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Agreed, Your ibanez is a nice bass, luckily you didnt get the SR-200
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
I really want a Parker Fly
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I have a buddy who has one of those, and i have to admit that i find those funky bodies super distracting - too out there for me, haha. Obviously, great decision though.
:iconbluesmanbruno:
BluesmanBruno Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
As long as a guitar doesn't look like most of the ones shown here [link], I'm pretty much okay with any body shape (and, to be honest, quite appreciate one which differs more than a bit from the classic Stratocaster/Les Paul looks), so it's not an issue for me. Besides, after reading about their quality and versatility, and hearing what Adrian Belew has to say about them, I've come to the conclusion that one of those is my dream guitar. :D
:icone-rien:
e-rien Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
right now i got a goth epiphone g-400
but i want the charcoal PRS P-22
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
i've played a buddy of mine's Epi g-400 on many occasions, i really like the feel of that guitar, very heavy and solid, which is reflected in the tone. Can't hlp but play Iommi sounding riffs every time i pick it up though, it's like it was made for them. =p

Who doesn't want a PRS. I honestly don't think there is a better major company at consistently making its guitars look like they're meant to be hung up in the Louvre, those finishes are so beautiful.
:icone-rien:
e-rien Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
You're so right about those PRS guitars
They're a work of art ^-^
Especially their signature models, i mean hot damn they look good!
:iconmacerider:
MaceRider Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've wanted a custom Les Paul with a Floyd Rose tremolo and 24 fret neck for a while now, but building one on my own is out of my price range (adds up to something like 1500 for parts alone, without paint).

Matt Pike's 9-string First Act is pretty sweet as well, it'd be interesting to try one out.

I'd like a baritone guitar as well, as I often play in A#. Either that, or a seven-string. Maybe a seven-string Les Paul, that would be pretty awesome.
Yeah, i don't even dream of having Les Pauls, way too expensive for me to even think about.

Whilst i know that Pike's is the original, doesn't Brent Hinds or Bill have one as well? (Mainly just wondering if they made other models). Do they even sell those? Regardless, Pike's is an absolutely beautiful piece of art. Seeing him play that guitar live makes you realize that it is just as much a part of him and his style as any other guitarist/guitar combo in the history of music. Also, he destroys that thing - both literally and figuratively.

i'm all about them Ibanez or Peavy 7-strings personally. =p
MaceRider Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not sure if they sell them, they were/are on the First Act site last time I checked, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Regarding the expense a Les Paul usually entails - if I were to build a custom, it would be with Warmoth or similar aftermarket components, so you could feasibly build a 24 fret LP, even with locking trem, for around a thousand USD, which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't be against an Ibanez or any other guitar, if it was similar in neck profile and scale length to a typical Les Paul. It's not brand loyalty, just what feels best to me.
Hey man, i completely understand; sound is pretty drastically different across brands as well, so it all comes down to personal preferences and how things sit with the player.
MaceRider Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually I never really noticed a big sound difference across brands, more so depending on pickup style and position.
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Honestly, and it could just be me trying to hear things, but different types of wood tend to have actually tangibly different sounds to my ear.
MaceRider Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't play on the clean channel nearly enough to catch small and quiet differences like that - way too much gain, fuzz and volume in my typical pedal/amp setup.
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
completely understandable, rock on. :horns:
MaceRider Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Whoops, forgot links.

Les Paul + FRT - [link]
First Act 9-string - [link]
Les Paul 7-string - [link]
:iconneqael:
Neqael Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
An Ibanez ICT700 [link]

Or a Hufschmid: [link]
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Two very different guitars (both aesthetically and soundwise); hardcore/metalcore fan?
:iconneqael:
Neqael Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not so much anymore, but I still like heavy, down-tuned guitars =D

Nowadays I play either extremely heavy noisy/experimental stuff
or extremely soft folk music, but that's mostly acoustic =)
Been there, done both; fun stuff.
:iconinstantcereal:
InstantCereal Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I'd have to say the ESP Eclipse S-VIII Brilliant MIXEDMEDIA.
A completely ridiculous name for a ridiculous guitar.
[link]
Damn, that's a nice one.
Dang, ESP makes some seriously killer guitars; I have one myself and totally recommend the brand almost above any other. How much does this thing usually run for? With a finish like that I could easily see in in the 650-750 range, but i'm just curious.
Espguitars.co.jp has it listed for 682,500 yen which Google suggests is around $8,400. I just saw one on Ebay for the equally reasonable price of $7,250 including free shipping.

I completely agree with you on the quality of ESP guitars as well. An old ESP Potbelly is always mentioned as the best guitar I've ever played whenever the question comes up. I notice you've neglected to mention your dream guitar though. Still dream shopping for the best dream one out there?

Also, congratulations on the incoming guitar upgrade! What are you thinking of treating yourself to?
Dang, well i'll never be acquiring a guitar as awesome as that then, =p

Yeah, mine is one of the mid-90's Les Paul LTDs and it plays so well. Black-top, but with that cream trim instead of the pearl (which i'm so happy about, not a fan of the pearl trim). But i got it used with two previous owners and it still plays like it's new; really don't have enough praises for that guitar.

But yeah, due to the nature of the music i play, and the tunings that it's played in - which i'm uncomfortable putting my ESP in - this is the guitar i'm looking at currently:
Yeah, I can't really see many scenarios in which I own one of those. I suppose that's why it's a dream guitar instead of a goal though.

That's a pretty sweet guitar you're getting, it looks like it's marketed towards downtuning so hopefully the stock pickups do a capable job of keeping your sound from getting too muddy. Unless you planned on throwing something else in there after getting it, of course. Just how far down are you tuning anyway? I messed around in drop f# for a few hours one night. It was uh, interesting considering I haven't gone much lower than d standard in years. I used to love playing in baritone but these days I just can't put together anything to play in those lower tuning. I guess it was just a phase that came and went.
Yeah, my hopes are that the stock pickups are all i need, really don't want to have to put in another $75 plus for pickups, that would suck. The last band i played with, and where i continue to see my writing go recently, has been in B-Standard.

Drop f# would be, uh, interesting, haha. I can't actually fathom what that actually sounds like.
Add a Comment: