Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

"The music of past generations is so much better"

:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist
I am so tired of hearing things like this. It's everywhere. "Today's music sucks. I love only the classics!"

The reason this bothers me so much...

Radio stations that play modern/current music have to play a song, regardless of whether it's good or not. Radio stations that play stuff of past decades get to choose what they play, based mostly upon popularity, as well as quality. So of course, on those stations, you'll get mostly what was considered the actual best back then.

So when young people today say "older music is better", it's a misinformed statement. They're only experience is the limited choices of what those stations play. If they had been born back in those generations, and experienced what those "current/modern" stations played back then, they would realize that those decades had their fair share of 'shit' music, just like this decade does. Every decade is like this.

There's also the whole "opinions are subjective thing" that comes into play. Remember that when this comparison is being made, it's not a fair one, because you're dealing with completely different sounds and trends, for the most part.

What do you think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, it's their own fault for being too lazy to search for music in some other way than turning on the radio.
:iconsaraalaska:
SaraAlaska Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm only fourteen and I prefer the 80's rock music. ^-^ Its because as a kid my parents always played that music at night and I would always hang out with them listening to it. It makes me happy and its awesome. I like Joan Jet, Pat Benatar, ACDC, Guns N' Roses, Journey and alot more. There was also a Soft Rock station from back then and I loved every single song it played like Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks. I understand what you say though about radio stations though and I do like some of todays music like Katy Perry, Phill Phillips, Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift and One Direction, Kellyty Clarkson. although I don't care for Justin Bieber or Niki Minaj. I prefer music that has some kind of a story to it or a good beat and most of 80's had both.
Nearly everything I hear about in today's music is drugs, acholo, or sex.
Or all three.
:icondsnintendotoad:
DSnintendotoad Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
You know, 3 years ago i thought the same thing, i thought all of today's music was shit. Well after i did a bit of research, i found out that there is a ton of good new music! ATB, Nightmares on Wax, Alexander Rybak; all good music.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
YES YES YES! I'm am friggin' tired of hearing that nonsense.

I had actually made a picture and put it on my facebook making fun of those memes that compare Bieber to 2pac, or Lil' John to Jimmy Hendrix etc.

[link]

I find it hilarious when people rave how much better music was in the 90s than now.
I grew up in the 90s, all you heard was N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Hanson, Spice Girls, Vengaboys, it's not really that much different than Nikki Manj or Bieber.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
BTW, the AL Stewart lyrics in the picture in the link above are from this song.

[link]

I think he's very underrated artist from the 70s.
:icontheliarwolfram:
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Filmographer
I'm a "whatever sounds good" sorta person, so I pretty much listen to everything that isn't Top 40 or country. Pop music is so influential because its repetitive sounds make it mentally addicting, so you can't get it out of your head. This is fact. So the reason it's so popular is also the reason it sucks so much. I'll listen to indie, classic rock, grunge, European techno, and 90's alternative all day.
:iconsanchezartwerk:
sanchezartwerk Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I completely agree with you on all points. As an indie artist (the Upper Strata, Ramblin Rose, Grin Fiends) it is possible to do things through youtube hell even this sight that past artists couldn't have dreamt of. People watch my clips fan me etc.. from all over the world. But there is a whole other type of music that is self produced or indie produced that is often so much better.
Commercial music is aimed at the widest possible audience like McDonalds it is really a good burger its just the burger that you can always find. Pop music is shoved down your throat on the hour every hour by a bunch of geezers in LA or NY, "that say this is our product we have millions behind it, your will like it you will buy and you will tell everyone its th next big thing". IF not we will play it some much eventually like all brain washing you give in, "yes yes ok please just don't play Adele again."

Whats funny is if you watch Wedding Singer Grosspoint blank High Fidelity and others pay attention to the soundtracks many of the songs were underground college radio hits not on the pop charts at all. Some were even banned from radio all together so sometimes the real music nerds laugh last.

I enjoyed your thoughts thanks for sharing.

Jonathan

[link]
:iconbelayalapa:
BelayaLapa Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Well, I don't know if this counts, but I am not the "older generations" kind of person. I'm the "Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical and early Romantic" is better kind of person. But I see what you're saying. People detach after a certain point from current/pop radio and all they can remember is what they grew up with, so that "back in my day" will always be said no matter what. It can be taken a few ways, one, the person might actually have an argument in Music style and what could be defined as such, they're bitter what they grew up with didn't last, they're nostalgic and use the "back in my day" as a coping mechanism for dealing with rapid change.

People need that kind of thing to function...reminiscing and what not.

This was a fun post :P
:iconthespiderfrommars:
TheSpiderFromMars Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, a huge mayority of today's music is worse than it was back then. I think. Most of the sounds and genres they play today really isn't my piece of cake. Simple as that.
:iconcaramelgrape:
CaramelGrape Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist
Dust addicts are the worst. Let them live in the past.
Add a Comment: