Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Am I the ONLY person who hates classic rock!?

:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I have heard so many people claim that Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc. are the only REAL bands and that the music they play today isn't music at all. And it's not like they grew up with the music either, they're my age in high school. I'm into every type of music, except classic rock (and RnB and most country). I just can't get into it. And some people will say that I don't know what real music because of it. (which pisses me off because music is my life) Does anyone else feel the same way??

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Always remember that "classic rock" is an umbrella term, not a genre. There are a lot of bands that are classified as "classic" because of the decades they are from, but musically, have little to nothing in common. AC/DC is hard rock, while Pink Floyd is psychedelic/progressive. In other words, different families.
Don't feel bad about not being into these kinds of music. I'm going to assume that you're pretty young. I love many bands from the 60s and 70s, but I didn't learn to appreciate them until I was a little older. When I was in middle and high school, I listened to a lot of "pop punk" because I guess I had a shorter attention span, and I liked the teenage-ish energy and angst of these songs. It wasn't "heavy" stuff. In my later high school years, my tastes evolved into gothic rock, then indie rock, and finally the "classics". Now that I can appreciate these classic bands, man, I realize how great they really are. I love to just sit down and take them apart, hear each layer of the instruments, and really analyze the songs. Play them loud, it helps. Many of them have gorgeous lyrics with deep themes, and beautiful and very original use of their instruments to match. Keep in mind that many of these bands were groundbreaking for their time, using new and experimental styles and methods, and some are pioneers of other genres (for example, AC/DC, while I do not personally like them, are a pioneer of heavy metal). Reading about the histories of these bands, and the effects they have had on music and our culture, makes me appreciate them even more. A lot of modern bands, possibly ones that you like, cite a handful of "classic" bands as their musical influences. We learn from the masters, and many of the greatest musicians of our time are from the "classic rock" era.
In time, you might learn what to listen for in these songs. For now, listen to the music you like and remember that the point of music isn't to impress someone with the bands you like, its about discovering something that has meaning for you. :)

PS: Just because a band is from the 60s or 70s, or even 80s, doesn't mean they were all geniuses. Just like music today, there were plenty of bands from those eras that were pretty much garbage. For example, a lot of 80s metal (think "hair metal")was terrible.
:iconthesouthernkiller:
TheSouthernKiller Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
You're never the only person. I think its odd that people hate things as unimportant as music. Hate is such a strong word. And I wouldn't let a handful of classic rock fans get to me. I wouldn't really care if people insisted I don't have taste in music. Its odd that you force yourself to listen to classic rock and still not get into it. Er, maybe because the music elitists created extremely high expectations for you?
Ah, I remember being a dumb classic rock elitist... but now I'm not. :)

BTW, classic rock isn't a genre of music. Its a broad term coined in the 80s to describe all rock artists from the 60s-80s.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've never been interested into rock in general.
:icona-cha4649:
A-CHA4649 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I feel like you're more irritated with the fans, than the actual music. I mean, all music is going to have THAT group of fans that just ruins it for everyone else. But yeah, You really do sound biased. It's alright to dislike it, but I mean... Come on, do you really think all classic rock is the same? It's only like that because you're not trying to like it. For example, I find that a lot of country music sounds the same to me, but I'm also aware that it's like that because it's not a genre I look into or really care about. You could say that same for any genre, but really, Pretty much every musician/band has their own sounds that makes them a bit different from everyone else.

... But whatever.
:iconfreespyrodragon:
freespyrodragon Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Writer
NOOOOooooo!!?!?!?!?!? It's shit.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I think classic rock is a tad overrated, especially the bands you mentioned. I still like some of it though. It really is an acquired taste.
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love it. Eat shit. :icontrollfaceplz:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
O_o
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol:
:icondarkfang911:
darkfang911 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
It really is a required taste. A lot of it is annoying to listen to but I think most of the people who like it or claim it is "real music" have just grown up listening to it. Totally normal to not like that type of genre.
I'd say that too... if it weren't just a majority of people my age. :P
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
I love classic Rock, I just hate how Classic Rock stations consider 80s Glam as Classic Rock.. :no:
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Writer
I do really dislike Dire Straits and Eagles. And guitar solos, they're just bloody lame. I really can't stand people who do air guitar solos.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I don't hate classic rock, but I understand where you are coming from.

I've known people like that too, some have the mentality that anything made after 1985 is crap. While I can understand that AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are better groups than the Justin Beiber or the Nickelback garbage that is being played on a lot of the other mainstream radio stations, there is a wide, I mean WIDE selection of fantastic music out there of all genres and from every generation dating back as far as the late 50s to 2012!

There is 60 years of great music out there, people need to go out and listen to more of it!
Justin bieber I can agree with(i honestly thought he was a chick) lil wayne is also horrible.... but I have a ton of nickelback songs and only recently found out that alot of people don't like them... also linkin park. ._. idk why. but eh. But yeh i agree.. although I don't seem to listen to much before the 2000s. But i'm 16 and grew up with 2000+ music so that explains that.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are legitimately two of the greatest bands to ever exist. Aerosmith and AC/DC are not. Not liking them is understandable considering they are not that good.
:iconthe-max765:
The-Max765 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Aerosmith sucks! ACDC has a few good songs, but not enough. Led Zeppelin sucks too.
X)I tried to get into classic rock a while ago.... although no matter how many times i forced myself to listen to the stuff... I could get past the fact that I hated it. X(
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I can understand your frustration. People who do carry a holier-than-thou attitude just because they listen to 70's cock rock can be irritating. There are, however, a number of bands and artists branded "classic rock" that have rightfully earned the respect they get (The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Cream, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, The Police, David Bowie) and even some that deserve a little more credit than they get (T. Rex, The Kinks, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy).

The thing about "classic rock" is that it's a piss poor descriptor for the music these guys made. Really the good lot of those sort of bands are psychedelic rock, progressive rock, power pop, or hard rock. If you want to find the good stuff then you should do a bit of digging. For example, there are a number of Led Zeppelin songs where Robert Plant sings with more restraint (The Battle of Evermore, Dancing Days, Going to California, That's the Way, Tangerine).

I will say that I'd rather see bands like the Velvet Underground, the Mothers of Invention, Can, MC5, and King Crimson pop up on classic rock radio more often than bands like Foreigner, Journey, and Chicago.
Don't get me wrong... I tried to understand why people like these bands by listening to them for a while... but I couldn't even understand why bands people were soooo sure were the best were deemed so... Idk... I've grown up around newer music and so I have a taste for fast, upbeat, adrenaline pumping(even just for me) kinda music. Something that brings out a certain reaction, that I don't get from those bands... egh.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't blame you for not liking AC/DC, since they've been making the same old song for over 40 years. Pink Floyd, on the other hand...
X)
:iconyamcha-wolf:
Yamcha-Wolf Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
No one probably feels the same way, but everyone's tastes are also different. People often look to rock because there's a lot of depth and instrumentation there that isn't found in pop/hip hop/rap/etc. I do feel sorry for you though, being unable to get into classic rock, you're definitely missing out. Definitely sucks that "music is your life" and you've excluded that entire spectrum.
Classic rock isn't a spectrum. It's a genre. Music is the spectrum. And classic rock definetly is not the only genre with alot of depth or range of instruments... I actually think the opposite of that. Guitar + Some drums + yelling singer with high pitched voice = Classic Rock. It all just has the same undertone to me.

I listen to the music I listen to because it has an interesting sound that get's my adrenaline pumping, or creates a dreamlike athmosphere. I can not for the life of me, find that in classic rock... X(

*(sorry if I'm coming off mean, I'm just irritated.)
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
If Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Pink Floyd sound the same to you, then I recommend a doctor.
Ah well... that's life~
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
All three are as different as meat, vegetables and chocolate :lol:
Yamcha-Wolf Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Its fine that you're irritated. Classic rock is so vast, that it has its own spectrum inside music. Music is an entity. Also, you're coming off WAY biased lol. All classic rock doesn't have a yelling high pitched Singer lol. I'm sorry that it all has the same undertone to you, because it definitely doesn't haha. Also, I understand what you're looking for in the music, but you also just described SO many classic rock songs lol.

I don't care either way, I'm just sorry you don't like Classic Rock. Its a pity because there's so much variety out there. Madness, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Guess Who, just a shame. You do you though, whatever you want to do is fine.
A majority that i've listened to did have that same formula... but aight~
Yamcha-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
IGHT, lol, whatever.
And that's what I'm talking about~
:iconresurrectiondreams:
ResurrectionDreams Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I will say that I do like some classic rock, but it's not what I primarily listen too. I hate when people use the term "Real" music. Obviously, there are some musicians that make music that generally don't really have talent, and rely too much on technology. However, music is music and it's all subjective. If a certain kind of music speaks to you, then it's "Real" music in your eyes. Personally, I think every genre has good and bad, even classic rock, even genres that aren't exactly my cup of tea. Don't let what others say bother you, like whatever you like. :)
"If a certain kind of music speaks to you, then it's "Real" music in your eyes. " I like that~
:iconresurrectiondreams:
ResurrectionDreams Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks! :) It's true though.
It's very true~ :)
:icontidal-wave-art:
Tidal-Wave-Art Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had people tell me that too. I like maybe 1 or 2 songs from each those bands, but not enough songs to be considered a fan. I'll listen to pretty much anything as long as it sounds good- the genre or what year it was made doesn't really concern me. Just listen to what you like, don't pay attention to what others say.
I agree~
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
AC/DC and Aerosmith are way overrated. Give me some real old fashioned Bowie, Alice Cooper, The Doors, and all the other GOOD classic rock artists <3
XDD
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I don't mind it, as such, but I wouldn't listen to it willingly. :shrug:

I prefer more modern stuff, but eh.
"but I wouldn't listen to it willingly" image of person strapped to chair being forced to listen to classic rock.... love it! X) I also like more modern stuff. Don't seem to dig down further than the 2000s to often.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:lol:

Yeah, you and me both there. :nod:

Unless it's instrumental. Then it's different. :paranoid:
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't really mind. It's good that their fanbase hasn't died and the Bieber/Minaj fans haven't taken over. They're those kind of bands that I'd like to listen to at a party or on the radio but aren't worthy of my iPod space.
Majority of my ipod was all alternative music. the rest i'd say was hiphop, electronic, some very overplayed dubstep, indie, punk and some pop. I also had like 5 binaural music apps... X)

(i'm using past tense because Nemo (my ipod) is no longer with us... rest his little electronic soul.)
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
RIP Nemo the iPod :'(
thank you... *sniff* *sniff*
:iconmorebud:
Morebud Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I do not feel the same way.. But it does bother me when people become music elitists because they found Sabbath and Zep. I love classic rock but REAL music is made today. It's just harder to find in such a flooded market. Slap some sense into them. As long as someone's enjoying the music they're listening to, everybody else should just fuck off.
Couldn't have said it better myself~
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Digital Artist
you are not the only one. I only like a couple songs by them and pretty much the only reason for that is because of some nostalgia.
That's understandable~ Do they overrated to you?
Add a Comment: