Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Am I the ONLY person who hates classic rock!?

:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I have heard so many people claim that Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc. are the only REAL bands and that the music they play today isn't music at all. And it's not like they grew up with the music either, they're my age in high school. I'm into every type of music, except classic rock (and RnB and most country). I just can't get into it. And some people will say that I don't know what real music because of it. (which pisses me off because music is my life) Does anyone else feel the same way??

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Filmographer
Always remember that "classic rock" is an umbrella term, not a genre. There are a lot of bands that are classified as "classic" because of the decades they are from, but musically, have little to nothing in common. AC/DC is hard rock, while Pink Floyd is psychedelic/progressive. In other words, different families.
Don't feel bad about not being into these kinds of music. I'm going to assume that you're pretty young. I love many bands from the 60s and 70s, but I didn't learn to appreciate them until I was a little older. When I was in middle and high school, I listened to a lot of "pop punk" because I guess I had a shorter attention span, and I liked the teenage-ish energy and angst of these songs. It wasn't "heavy" stuff. In my later high school years, my tastes evolved into gothic rock, then indie rock, and finally the "classics". Now that I can appreciate these classic bands, man, I realize how great they really are. I love to just sit down and take them apart, hear each layer of the instruments, and really analyze the songs. Play them loud, it helps. Many of them have gorgeous lyrics with deep themes, and beautiful and very original use of their instruments to match. Keep in mind that many of these bands were groundbreaking for their time, using new and experimental styles and methods, and some are pioneers of other genres (for example, AC/DC, while I do not personally like them, are a pioneer of heavy metal). Reading about the histories of these bands, and the effects they have had on music and our culture, makes me appreciate them even more. A lot of modern bands, possibly ones that you like, cite a handful of "classic" bands as their musical influences. We learn from the masters, and many of the greatest musicians of our time are from the "classic rock" era.
In time, you might learn what to listen for in these songs. For now, listen to the music you like and remember that the point of music isn't to impress someone with the bands you like, its about discovering something that has meaning for you. :)

PS: Just because a band is from the 60s or 70s, or even 80s, doesn't mean they were all geniuses. Just like music today, there were plenty of bands from those eras that were pretty much garbage. For example, a lot of 80s metal (think "hair metal")was terrible.
:iconthesouthernkiller:
TheSouthernKiller Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
You're never the only person. I think its odd that people hate things as unimportant as music. Hate is such a strong word. And I wouldn't let a handful of classic rock fans get to me. I wouldn't really care if people insisted I don't have taste in music. Its odd that you force yourself to listen to classic rock and still not get into it. Er, maybe because the music elitists created extremely high expectations for you?
Ah, I remember being a dumb classic rock elitist... but now I'm not. :)

BTW, classic rock isn't a genre of music. Its a broad term coined in the 80s to describe all rock artists from the 60s-80s.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've never been interested into rock in general.
:icona-cha4649:
A-CHA4649 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I feel like you're more irritated with the fans, than the actual music. I mean, all music is going to have THAT group of fans that just ruins it for everyone else. But yeah, You really do sound biased. It's alright to dislike it, but I mean... Come on, do you really think all classic rock is the same? It's only like that because you're not trying to like it. For example, I find that a lot of country music sounds the same to me, but I'm also aware that it's like that because it's not a genre I look into or really care about. You could say that same for any genre, but really, Pretty much every musician/band has their own sounds that makes them a bit different from everyone else.

... But whatever.
:iconfreespyrodragon:
freespyrodragon Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Writer
NOOOOooooo!!?!?!?!?!? It's shit.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I think classic rock is a tad overrated, especially the bands you mentioned. I still like some of it though. It really is an acquired taste.
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love it. Eat shit. :icontrollfaceplz:
:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
O_o
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol:
:icondarkfang911:
darkfang911 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
It really is a required taste. A lot of it is annoying to listen to but I think most of the people who like it or claim it is "real music" have just grown up listening to it. Totally normal to not like that type of genre.
Add a Comment: