Closed to new replies
November 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Die Antwoord

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Die Antwoord is so ridiculously far from my taste in music. It sticks out awkwardly in my collection of classic rock, yet I'm in fucking love. Saw them live last month and haven't been able to stop playing them since - But they having only two albums, I'm going kind of crazy here.

So I'm curious about what the general Music Forum opinion is of them, for one.

I actually respect (most) of your opinions - Music is one of few aspects in life I've accepted I will never be a know-it-all in. I have no musical skill. At all. Whatsoever. My friends are all musical theatre students somehow, so I usually just ask them when something is good or bad (not to suggest that I let this change my own taste in music though, but from a technical standing). This likely is not in their taste.

But my second and more important question!

If you do enjoy them, or that type of music, do you have any suggestions for what I should listen to? It pumps me up and inspires me, I can't go back to classic rock right now.

...And please refrain from suggesting MaxNormal.TV/their other projects, or Jack Parow, I figured that out on my own. :dummy:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfzang:
Fzang Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist
Infected Mushroom? They're not satirical in a sense like Die Antwoord, but they do have some pretty interesting sounding beats, awkward voices and guitars riffs - stuff that the boring individual probably wouldn't listen to. Their sound spans very widely, and I thought you might like since you appear to be into rock.
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
But back to the actual question, there's nothing really out there like Die Antwoord. The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is Bom Bom by Sam and the Womp, and that's nothing like Die Antwoord. Same level of odd though. [link]
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
Jack Parow is the shit. Can I get Eksie Ou anywhere? NO. :grump:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I haven't actually tried to get Jack Parow yet, I mean I enjoy what he's done with Die Antwoord but haven't gotten there yet. I see a lot of mixed reviews of him from Antwoord fans. I really just want MaxNormal.TV right now but I can't buy it anywhere that I know of and my download is stuck at 54% :c
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Filmographer
Good Morning South Africa is an incredible album.
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Writer
I think they're freaky and I like 'em a lot.
:giggle:
:iconjarringx:
jarringx Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
love them
:nod:
:icondorashouldprint:
dorashouldprint Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
It's okay to like diametrically different things. I don't understand people who are exclusive about other things. In that matter, I absolutely worship Slayer and yet I really really like Die Antword and their philosophy. I think they're really intelligent people who found a way to make money and have a good time. Also they show some big balls in their interviews and concepts. Respect.
For sure. I know too many people who are like "I am into heavy/death/black metal and all other music is GHAAAAAAAY!!!1" Also, I don't think Die Antwoord really has much of an existing 'type' to fit under. Everyone I meet tends to say "They're not my usual type!"

And I completely agree with you about their philosophy. I liked them as people before their music even got stuck in my head, hell, before I even listened to their music I was enticed by these people. They're awesome satire, they're having fun, and now they're adorable little girl is going to have an awesome future too doing whatever she wants to do.
:iconandshedreamed:
andshedreamed Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Photographer
Blegh.

They make me wish I wasn't South African.
BOOOO you smell. >:U
:iconandshedreamed:
andshedreamed Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Photographer
>:c
I DO NOOOT
:iconharvestreaper:
HarvestReaper Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
LOL oheeyyy i like them too! i missed them last month. :(
:lol: Albeeeeerto

That suuuucks. I almost did. :| The metropolis kicked me out because I forgot I had pot in my bag :lol: And of course I was the only person they checked. But we dumped my bag in the car and the rest of the night was awesome.
:iconharvestreaper:
HarvestReaper Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
ahah, good to know you made the best of it.
:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Writer
I really really really love them so much!
And that eventhough I mainly listen to Black Metal. But ever since I randomly found them on youtube, I've fallen in love with them.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm similar too you. I listen to mostly meta, and I saw some Gifs. of their video clips. They looked awesome, so I found out who it was. :lol:
:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Writer
I fink they're freeky and I like them a lot
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm obsessed, :ohnoes:, but once again, not really my normal scene.
I guess they aren't really anyone's normal scene :lol:
:iconzeruch:
zeruch Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
They have a limited, but fun appeal (limited in that they aren't something I can listen to constantly or in huge doses, but when they are the right thing, they are the right thing).

Saw them live two years ago at TIMF, and they put on s surprisingly decent spectacle.
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
That's how I felt at first -- "Oh, these guys are fun, I'll keep them off my playlist, but I'll buy their albums". Now they're all I've been listening to. :stare:

:nod: They're quite fun live.
:iconrenaesan:
RenaeSan Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Zef style is so fucked up. That's what makes it so amazing. It's just pokes fun at everything.

The first time I showed my friend Die Antword he hated it. Hated it. Now it's his favourite band and on the occasions in which we go driving around town Die Antword is the first thing we chose to blast on his speakers.
:iconcosmicspider:
cosmicspider Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I wish</i> I liked Die Antwoord. I've listened to some of their stuff, but it just always feel like someone splashed me with a bucket of icy water and I'm standing there like :noes: not quite certain what to do haha. I have a very diverse taste in music but they're unlike anything I listen to, and that girl's voice... I can't decide whether or not I dig it. I know a lot of people who really love their stuff though, and I have to agree it's amazing music. Which goes back to my wishing I liked it moar ffff...
Oh I fell in love with her before even hearing the music, so her voice was never an issue to me. She's so friggin adorable, and I never say friggin. Live, she ended her show with "Be happy! Bye bye Montreal!" and it was all kinds of adorable.

I don't know why you never crossed my mind in "people to ask if they like die antwoord" because now that you're here, I would have definitely guessed you to be more the type I guess because I stereotype anyone who goes to raves since this is the first music labeled "rave" that I've really gotten into.

A big part of it for me is that I've never considered them anything but a satire group. I don't know how people who think they are serious about their badass gangster shit can actually tolerate it. To a certain degree, obviously, because it's not as if they're not as weird as they appear. Just, I imagine, a lot less violent and angry outside of their personas.
:iconcosmicspider:
cosmicspider Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Oh man, they sound nothing like what I've ever heard playing at any electronic music party/rave I've ever been to :lol: I enjoy satire, but it's just too damn weird for me. I wind up sitting through the whole song with a WTF look on my face. It's like trying foreign food and not being sure if you like or dislike what strange tastes you are experiencing hah.
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Awh that breaks my heart. I was hoping it was all like this.

I had to watch the videos first. I didn't think I'd like them when I wasn't super stoned engaged in their videos, but I guess watching the videos so much made it wear on me.
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I love Die Antwoord, and they are most definitely not the type of music I'd typically listen to. So I'm not really of any help here when it comes to trying to find similar music to them. :I JUST CHIMING IN TO SAY I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL OKAY
Up until I saw them in person I had like, a personal crisis realizing and accepting that I really loved this.

I also don't get why from what I read online, people find it scandalous to suggest they aren't "real". I always assumed they were satire. As someone put, if this is 100% real, they borderline on mentally handicapped. They're pretty fucking real, but they mix a lot of fantasy into their videos and I always felt their personas did too. I mean, we don't even know if DJ Hi Tek is real. They're pretty crazy, I mean their hair and tattoos are real enough to say that, but Ninja also comes from a well-off background and they raised an awesome little girl in their downtime.

These are my random 4 am thoughts.
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I haven't seen them live but I've heard they're fucking amazing live. ;__;

I agree with you exactly. They're a mixture of fantasy and reality and I think it really throws off a lot of people, but I thought it was pretty evident the first time I watched their Zef Side video.
Add a Comment: