November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

turntables are expensive?

:iconeddy-all-die-for:
Eddy-all-die-for Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi everyone!?
For a while now i want to find myself a turntable to ear that "authentic warmness" that everyone is talking about when it comes to turntables. So i shop a bit and every place i went they told i can find a good one 200$ MINIMUM (around 400$). So here's my question: can you explain to me in a common language why is it a much higher price to have a turntable when you can buy a cd player that haves the best quality sound you can find? Is it because of something about digital vs analog sound?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzeruch:
zeruch Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
You can get a decent phonograph for cheaper, but if you are looking for higher quality audio or DJ grade (direct drive) you definitely pay extra.

Your argument holds about as well as saying a Miata competes with a high end Veyron. Both get you from A to B...but not with the same style, class or overall experience.
Eddy-all-die-for Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hahaha i was just saying the same comparison to my friend the other day about the different parts of the system i need to get what i want :p
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
There's a lot of correct info here, a lot of not so and a whole, whole lot missing. First off, and I cannot and will not go into much detail unless you ask for more, CD's are a digital format, and a compressed format, and no matter what the digital format it is compressed, FLAC, APE, ets... a compressed any thing is missing information, it is not a true to source sound file, even if you convert the file back to analog that missing information is gone forever, same reason so many still love film photography it just has a soul that is lost forever in the 1's and 0's. As a music/emotional junkie, not an aficionado, a junkie, I need it. In an sufficiently set up analog system, and I mean system, sorry merely buying a decent table cartridge and stylus(needle) will not get it, but is one step in the right direction if you wanna stop there, just stop there and don't get me wrong if I was willing or able to make the investments, I will still be burning the life out of my CD's and if I had never heard the soul I feel with a passable analog set up be no less content/crazy. But as a music junkie the way I can describe it for me is, were I to hear to say a beautiful violin piece, just magic to my ears, make my eye's go moist, well a good analog set up might make me feel every winding on that violin string vibrate or feel every bump, or broken hair, the slickness of rosin of that bow, pull across my heart with the passion of a loves the likes of Don Juan would be envious, my heart yes the actual organ itself. To much Blah, Blah, Blah... turn back now, there are some AMAZING! digital reproduction out there.
Eddy-all-die-for Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i understand everything you said. But back to my main question, and still i guess, we have to put more investment in an analog based sound system than digital?
It depends on how far you want to go. Even with the loss and yes lossy and lossless are compressed (information for those who may not know). It really is an individual experience. Alright cutting it short. Basic set up for turntable analogs, Turntable, Phono Pre-amp, Pre-amp if you intend to use more than one source, Amp, Speaker cables, Speakers, various interconnects. Digital system, Ipod - Computer+Storage or whatever source you are choosing, DAC, Pre-amp if you intend to use more than one source, Amp, Speaker cables, Speakers, various interconnects. Can be put together for same price. If you use a Source/Pre/Amp in one such as a Sony/ Denon/ Marantz/ whatever the brand you will cut costs phenomenally. You still need speakers which color the sound, speakers referred to as monitors tend to do this the least. And speaker cable. Does this help at all? The thing is all these components affect each others sound immensely. As for the "authentic warmness" that's a whole different conversation. A solid state amp with monitors will probably bring you closest to the sound of the original recording and is usually cheapest. A tube amp will color the sound, give you the warmness you may be speaking about.
Eddy-all-die-for Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
any tube amp you can suggest me in the 0-1000 category? loll
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
I'm sorry most of my stereo experience is with solid state amps, and currently I am more interested in investing my money and luck in a different pair of speakers. The is a lot of good used equipment in the under $1000 range. I would not recommend to you at the moment spending more than that, It may not be the sound you are looking for. although your resale should be close to what you paid for it used, and the used market is very recyclable.
I would suggest doing some research of your own !. hear it in person, take a good copy of the music you enjoy and visit higher end equipment suppliers and have a listen for yourself, as no sane persons opinion is more valuable that your own ears. 2. there are quite a few good forums around. I would try Audiogon.com first. You many find many helpful opinions there, as well as find used equipment at reasonable price and condition form people with a little incentive to give a "fair" price, and not a lemon. You may wind up with a set up you can enjoy for years, or you may wind up on a years/life long hunt for exactly the right sound. for me the is a monetary limit to this, and you may create the perfect sound for you. Seems to me some people spend extreme a mounts for so called accuracy, clarity and warmth only to create something that was never there to begin with.

0-1000 check Audiogon, etc...
Sorry Typo, If I was NOT willing to make the investment. Oh If your into the club thing, no disrespect as all, stick with the CD's, You will not gain a thing going analog or miss a thing and have a whole lot more music to spend on music. If you are spinning records at a club get a used direct drive turntable maybe $400(used) with a quality med to med/heavy arm a good cart and stylus $125-250 tops Stanton or Ortofon may come with table and enjoy as anything more will be lost by the dynamics of the speakers that will be used in a club. It's ALL good baby.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Ya wanna talk expensive? Drums ._. those things cost a ton!
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Writer
a good one with all the bells and whistles, yes is going to be pricy. but you can find ones for small prices with plug in adapters, there's also used ones as well as old record players that you can later tweak to your own liking. I prefer the ones with the adapter plug ins and they are under a hundred dollars, a few places I've been they have been under 50 dollars. now the adapters could run pricy, like speakers, etc but it's all your call as to what you're going to do and how personal you're going to get with it.
Add a Comment: