Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

I'm searching for new bands playing music in the following list of unusual genres (genre combos).

:iconpedigri:
Pedigri Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm searching for bands that play any kind of metal combined with industrial (or something similar) or combinations of the second parts of these genre combos (folk death metal, symphonic thrash, etc). I'm mostly looking for fresh, original melodies, and/or creative/energetic guitar riffs, and/or unusual themes/instruments/instrument combos being used. I'm open to avantgarde bands.
In the brackets I included bands that I like/love/know of and an examplary song to check out.

Industrial black metal (The Wicked - "Ordo Malleus", Thyrane "Heretic Hunt")
Industrial thrash metal (Fear Factory - "Fear Campaign")
Industrial death metal
Modern (Melodic) Death metal (Engel "Six Feet Deep", "Sense the Fire"; Illdisposed "Taste of you")
Gothic/Death/Doom metal (I only know Draconian ["Death Come Near me" so far)
Symphonic black metal (Carach Angren "Carriage Wheel Murder"), Dimmu Borgir.
Symphonic Power Metal (symphonic metal is fine too. Actually I know quite a few, but not enough) - Kamelot "Ghost Opera"; Lunatica "Words Unleashed".
Symphonic/Orchestral death/gothic metal (Septic Flesh "The architect", "Communion")
Industrial doom metal
Progressive (melodic/technical) death metal (Scar Symmetry "Ghost Prototype" I and II; First Fragment "Afterthought Extasy")
gothic/orchestral/symphonic + dance'y/energetic songs like Satyrian's "Dark Gift".
and all the other combinations I can't think of right now.

I'd probably like anything that sounds fresh and combines any of these: groove/thrash, space, industrial, modern/melodic/technical/brutal death, progressive, dark metal, folk, black metal, Neue Deutsche Harte, EBM, symphonic, gothic, funeral doom, grindcore, oriental/asian folk metal.

I also like unusual/metal covers of game music/cartoon themes/tv shows/pop songs/anime shows I know (there are too little nintendocore bands that are actually good/don't have a terrible vocalist).

You don't have to go through the trouble of going to YouTube to get links (but if you want to share it with me or others you're welcome), just name the band, tell me what they play/why you think they sound fresh and name some song(s) for starters.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamien-demented:
Damien-Demented Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Damn typos.

Dawn of Ashes: Fuck like you're in Hell
Oops the first one should have been:

Psyclon Nine: Scar of the Deceiver, Parasitic, Clinik, Crwn thy Frnicatr
I think I might be able to suggest a few bands not sure if you''ll like them or not though.

Psyclon Nine: Scar of the Deciever Parasitic, Clinik, Suicide Note Lullaby
Dawn of Ashes: Fuck Like We're in Hell
Helltrash: Cannibal
Life Cried: As We Decay, Preacher, Darkest Eyes, Rage
Dope: Debonaire, Now or Never, Now is the Time
Skinny Puppy: Pro-test, I'mmortal, Tin Omen
Gothminister: Freak, Darkside
Columbine: Deny and Lie, You Should Be Ashamed, Under My Skin, For The Children (this song is intended as a satire/ criticism of pedophila in the churches, it is not condoning pedophilia, though this is deffinently not for everyone.)
The Witch was Right: I'll Take It All From You, S.K.Y, Show Me the Way
The Ludovico Technique: This Life, Memory, Living Filth
Pedigri Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I know and like several of Gothminister's songs:) Darkside among others.

I also know Dope. I like their cover of You spin me right round, Now or Never. Debonaire was cool too:)

I heard of Skinny Puppy. It's nice, but I didn't come across songs that I'd listen to a few times in a row. I haven't heard the songs you mentioned though, so I'll give them a listen.
As for Psyclon Nine... it has melodies I like, but I couldn't get into the vocals yet. I generally find it hard to get into the darkwave (or whatever it is called) vocals, except for Suicide Commando and maybe one or two old Terminal Choice songs.

I don't know the rest of the bands, so I have a lot to check out. Thanks so much for the suggestions:)
Damien-Demented Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Dope's cover of You Spin Me Round is indeed awesome. Hmm not sure what the proper name for the vocals are, normally I see them referred to as distorted vocals. I normally don't like that vocal style either and the bands on my list are the only bands I listen to that have vocals like that. Though I will check out Suicide Commando and Terminal Choice. Also you might like Blutengel the singer for that is also the singer for Terminal choice but without distorted vocals, sort of reminds me of Gothminister. Also you're welcome and hopefully you'll like some of the bands on the list. :) Also if you want I can suggest some industrial bands without the distorted vocals.
Pedigri Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've seen industrial vocals being referred to as "distorted" though I have a problem with only this kind of distorted vocals.

I like Suicide Commando's Cause of death: suicide (despite the somewhat monotonous intro), Love Breeds Suicide, Comatose Delusion, Consume your vengeance, Dein Herz, Meine Gier.
Raise your God is also nice.

I know of Blutengel. I just heard a couple of songs, but haven't stumbled across one I really liked. Only the older Terminal Choice has such distorted vocals.

That would be nice. The problem is that I've so desperately sought new industrial(metal) bands to like that I've combed through the most obvious choices (and some underground bands). That's how I found the epic but disbanded Firewerk or Neverdice.

There's also bands that are liked for some reason, but I couldn't find songs that I really liked. NIN, Collide, Neuroticfish (Ok, there were some I liked but not enough to play them more often than once in a while).
Damien-Demented Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ah okay I had only heard one of Terminal Choice's old songs then, I'll check out their new stuff. Thanks for suggesting some Suicide Commando songs I liked them all so I'll look into other stuff by them. I checked out Firewerk and Neverdice both are great bands. I never really liked any of NIN music. I did manage to find a song by Collide on youtube didn't care for the vocals though, okay band otherwise. Neuroticfish I'm not quite sure what to think of them. I've had trouble with finding new industrial bands they all seem to use the same distorted vocals.

Also did you like any of the stuff I recommended before? If you didn't it's cool, everyone has different tastes in music. :) hopefully I can manage to suggest something you like. Also thanks a bunch for suggesting some bands. :)

Zeromancer: Neo Geisha, The Hate Alphabet
Seigmen: Metropolis, The World Revolves Around You, Döderlein, Universial
Covenant: Bullet
Imperative Reaction: Side Effect, As We Fall, Only in my Mind
Orgy: Fiction (Dreams in Digital), their cover of Blue Monday
ohGr: Cracker, wateR, tragek
Deathstars: Cyanide, Blitzkrieg, Last Ammunition, Little Angel
Dope Stars Inc.: It's Today, Can You Imagine, Bang Your Head
Third Realm: Diabolic Crush
genCab: Siren Song
Deadsy: Key to Gramercy Park, She Likes Big Words
Pain: Shut Your Mouth
:iconresurrectiondreams:
ResurrectionDreams Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not sure if you've heard of the band Diabulus in Musica, but if you like bands that are Symphonic Metal like Nightwish you'll probably like them. They just released an album this year called The Wanderer and I personally think it's great.
Also, I'd recommend the band Raintime, even though they aren't together anymore. Their early stuff is along the lines of Melodic Death Metal; their third album not so much and most fans have mixed opinions on it I've noticed.
Pedigri Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, I didn't know they broke up. I love their "Matrioska". I really liked their combination of powermetallish sound and great growls.

About Diabulus in Musica. I think I've checked one or two songs, but I don't remember them. I probably didn't come across the right songs, but I'm willing to give them another listen.

What songs would you recommend?

P.S. Cheers to a fellow Rammstein fan:)
:iconresurrectiondreams:
ResurrectionDreams Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, unfortunately they just broke up this year. I was kind of sad but I believe a couple of the guys are planning on starting a new project, so I'm interested to see what they might do.

I've listened Diabulus in Musica's first album and there are only a few songs on that one I liked, but I thought their second album was great. I really like the songs St. Michael's Nightmare, Ex Nihilo, Blazing a Trail, Shadow of the Throne, and No Time For Repentance (Lamentation).

Hopefully I was helpful, and cheers to you as well. :)
Add a Comment: