Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 258

What do you prefer?

:icong0d0fshad0ws:
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So... what do you prefer? A physical CD or .mp3? And for those who feels for it: Why?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconterriosthedark98:
TerriosTheDark98 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Both. I love owning CD's, because I can put them onto my iPod. And for the bragging rights that you actually own it. ^^
:iconitomoo:
iTomoo Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I prefer cd's, but the thing is, everything that accepts cds in my room is broken, even the dvd reader on my laptop, yes. Soo I guess I'm kinda forced to play .mp3.. I mean, not that I'm complaining :D :D
:iconsevmd:
SEVMD Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah good one...
I don't own and CDs, I mainly listen to what my father has and I sort of categorize the stuff I listen to. Like New world, lounge,jazz musics are CDs from my father. Hip hop,Japanese,Anime,Korean random music goes to mp3 on ipod. Current favourite and past favourite are on mp3 in my phone and sometimes CDs :XD:

Lol I almost mistook you saying CDs like laser discs which we can no longer watch :( and my father had a star trek version ._. those super old ones
:iconbotskiz:
Botskiz Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I prefer to listen to CDs whenever I can. The last time I bought music, I ordered about 10 CDs at once, actually. That said, I also wouldn't want to miss my mp3 player :)
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Haha, I also made some of those mass-bought of CDs, really great to find many good albums one like ^^
Indeed, indeed, most new bands I listen to is through mp3 of some sort.
:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Writer
LPs are bulky and die too fast. The only reason why the majority of LP listeners I know prefer Vinyl is because in their eyes it automatically makes them a superior human being with a vast knoledge in music...
For the most part the quality of a CD is better (although that does depend on how one got the mp3), but I just like having a material CD, a CD case with an awesome cover, a nice booklet... yeah I'm all for CDs
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know, I know some that prefers of personal reasons, or just like them as much as a CD. But I guess there is those kind of people you speak of as well too, since those can exist everywhere...
Then we're on the same page, about the CD/mp3 issue ^^ :iconhigh5plz:
:iconarkayem:
Arkayem Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
FLAC
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
That reminds me of something. What kind of program do you need to use flac files?
:iconvrcooke:
VRCooke Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
mp3. mainly because it's easily transferable, easy to back up, and there are no scratches or any issues with skipping. i still listen to my cds every now and then though.
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Isn't the CD better then? Cuz when you got the CD you can get the songs to the computer and then transfere into portable memories(usb for example), devices and stuff. And you can still listen to the CD after that.
VRCooke Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
To me, the mp3 is still better. If I'm going to take the time to rip a song off a CD and make it an mp3 anyway, I'd rather just already have it in mp3 format to begin with. Saves me the time and effort. Plus, as I stated before, the lack of skipping and inability to scratch an mp3 is a huge bonus. And CDs are slowly being phased out anyway. I have a feeling they'll eventually end up like records.
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I actually think that the CD will be like the vinyl or something, still be there, but not many bands making them... but that totally depends on the buyers, I guess...
Thanks to hear your part of this :)
VRCooke Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Sure, no problem :)
:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
CD's, vinyl and tapes, but I'm too lazy to buy stuff. You know, shipping and stuff. So mp3 is more convenient for me.
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Haha, that I can understand. And sometimes the shipping makes it twice as expensive too. That's kinda horrible, if you ask me.
:iconfoxfornication:
FoxFornication Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah. The most annoying thing is how long it takes to ship. I ordered Parrot Files by Algernon Cadwallader on cdon, it sai "15 days - 30 days". And knowing that site, you know it's gonna take at least 2 months.
That's irritating indeed, especially when one has pre-ordered. Then one wants the CD and stuff at the same day when it actually releases. Rarely that happens that it comes the same day :/
:icontheponylovingkitsune:
ThePonyLovingKitsune Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Digital Artist
I'm not a fan of CDs because they easily scratch and break.
I like MP3s 'cos they're convinient and stuff.
I would like to own a small Vinyl collection but turntables are f**king expensive. Especially them Technics S100 ones. Seeing how they went out of production about 3 years ago. :(
That sucks indeed :( Maybe you'll be able to get one through ebay or something? I don't know, but I defently hope that you'll get one.
:icontheponylovingkitsune:
ThePonyLovingKitsune Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Digital Artist
Heh, thanks. :)
You're welcome :)
:iconkurai12:
Kurai12 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like CD's but never have the time to go out and buy them so... MP3
Sad to hear that :( You don't got a shop/something that sells CDs in your town/city?
:iconkurai12:
Kurai12 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No we do I'm just too busy so I use my friends CDs
Ok, then I see :)
:iconmagmagan:
Magmagan Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I never developed a habit of buying CDs (mainly because they're expensive here) so .mp3s/FLACs for me.
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
How much does it costs? Just curious, because over here in Sweden one can easily get a CD for 23$(17.50€, don't know what currency that will be easier for you to compare with). I've also bought a bunch of CDs that costed 7.70$/5.80€ each, but those were older CDs.
:iconskyfire2008:
SkyFire2008 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
CD.
Great :thumbsup:
:iconcoloradobase:
coloradobase Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I have lot of Cd's. I love with movie, Music and Fun. _________________________________ Parker basement remodeling
Me myself is pretty terrible when it comes to watching movies :D But music is one of my absolute favorite subjects. And funny things I can talk the whole day about and more :D
:iconblockbox:
Blockbox Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
well,i never considered buying a cd,i just download the tracks i like,if i'm lucky there's also a lossless of the song i'm looking for,but recently i've converted to almost exclusively using spotify.
I see :) I've tested spotify myself, but many of the bands I like doesn't exist there, and the advertising is horrible. It also costs too much compared to how many of the bands I like is there. So that's pretty much summits why I don't use spotify. But if you like it, just fine :) I just prefer CDs, WMP or youtube.
:iconcrazygirllilly:
CrazyGirlLilly Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Of I could join...well I prefer CDs because you can get the music onto your computer or iPod after and you still have it on an original CD. The songs are clear too, we'll they are clear on an MP3 that you buy, but not many people do that, so they are clearer than YoutubeConverter. Also, you get a booklet with nice pictures and all the words which is awesome if you want to know the original lyrics (sometimes lyrics are written differently on different sites).
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Seems that there is a pretty big majority that prefers CDs :)
Yes, I agree with you.
Hehe so what do you prefer?
The CD, to fill my empty bookshelves :D but seriously, I like it the more for many reasons, one of then did you mention, also the thing with booklet. One more thing I prefer with the CD is the feeling when one've recently bought it, it almost feels that one is a part of the band in some kind of weird way. Plus when I don't use the computer I can always put on a CD.
But that doesn't say that I despise mp3, no, since I use WMP pretty much when I browse the internet and stuff :)
I see what you mean:) and yeah I love the feeling when you just bought the CD because you know the stuff is good and you just can't wait to see the booklet and listen to the songs. Even the picture on the CD gets me excited, I just love when the put a picture on the actual CD. And as you said, it looks cool on shelves, something to be proud of when people come around:) :D
Haha, the same goes for me :D In this case we're pretty much the same material.
--
"So, you like this and this band? Let me then show you a band you may like then..." *picks up an album from the bookshelf, puts on the CD*
After a while: "What do you think? Pretty good, huh?"
--
I am pretty happy that this thread became this big, have talked to many interesting ones. Seems that this is something that lies in pretty many peoples interest, this question :)
Yeah, because a lot of people would go "YouTube Converter for life!" And others are like "That's piracy! Buy CDs or got on iTunes you're not poor!":D
There is also some people that go the middle way(little bit like me). But everybody got their reason why they do as they do.
Btw, why have that kind of profile picture/icon?
(1 Reply)
:iconberlioz-ii:
Berlioz-II Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
For me CD when it comes to orchestral recordings of classical music or film scores for the greater amount of dynamic range the format offers that might otherwise be lost with more compressed forms (granted as long as the mastering isn't somehow completely messed up that is). But I'm more than satisfied with mp3s when it comes to music of lesser portent. This is also an issue since I find 95% of pop, rock, etc. albums to only have maybe four or five tracks at most that are worth savouring, with all the rest throwaway filler, so there's little reason to stock on piles of CDs when I can just make "best of" selections for my own convenience.

As for LPs, I was born in the 80s. I had already pretty much passed the LP era, and I don't even have anything to play them with, so those are completely irrelevant to me.
G0D0FSHAD0WS Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Interesting, haven't heard something like that before.
For me it is rather the opposit, I have a hard time finding songs in albums that I don't like, because I end up liking the whole album of almost all I listen to, and if I don't like a song from an album, it is often that I don't like the rest of the album as well, which makes it pretty easy for me ^^ But yes, there is exceptions, where I don't like one, two or a couple of songs, but that happens so rarely so I remember easily on which song in the album I'll skip.
:iconberlioz-ii:
Berlioz-II Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, I'll admit my enjoyment of a lot of "song" albums is likely a lot different than for many others. There are a few that I also enjoy a lot as complete albums (Van Morrison's "Moondance", Bee Gees "Odessa", Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed", King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King", Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms", and the like), but for most others I tend to just enjoy those three to five songs and forget the rest. It's a bit different when going through a symphony or a film score with a greater development of thematic material through an album that the sum of its parts will gather greater significance not necessarily achieved through a collection of largely disconnected songs (minus concept albums). But that's just my perspective on things.
Mm, it's really interesting to see how different people is, even just a thing like how they prefer to listen to music. Parts that can change one's choice can be everything like what one listens to, how much time one spends listening to music, what kind of enviroment one lives in, personality and a couple of more aspects, just to come down to how one listens to music.
And sorry if my english is terrible, it's not my mother language. Hope you still understood what I was meaning.
:iconcaramelgrape:
CaramelGrape Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist
.mp3s are more practical in the digital age.
Agree, but what goes up to hold an album one really like, and got the pleasure to pick out the cd and listen through the songs, and at the same time reading the lyrics?
:iconcaramelgrape:
CaramelGrape Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist
It's really an x and y situation.

What goes up to viewing an album in your iTunes library, pressing play while reading the lyrics on a .pdf or an internet browser, etc?
Got me. Yep you're right, it really depends on the person and situation.
Add a Comment: