Overrated

Why are average bands so overrated?
Just to make my self clear.. I am not talking about One direction or the likes of that girl who sang baby. I mean bands that won't/havent been forgotten.
The Beatles, The Ramones, Nirvana, Greenday... You know what I mean.
The songs are okay, but I would not rave about them!

I started to listen to the Ramones again... I am right now...
"Now I wanna sniff some glue
Now I wanna have somethin' to do
All the kids wanna sniff some glue
All the kids want somethin' to do "
... Very inspirational! :rolleyes:
Why did I ever listen to this!?

So what bands do you think are overrated?
... and what bands aren't talked about enough?

Bands that should have more hype:
Creature feature, Ludo, the blackout, the refused, Hadouken, Missing andy, sick puppies, Depeche Mode, Tori Amos, Billy Talent.
Comments46
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Any artist who entered the industry after 1989 is pretty much overrated.

And don't get me started on (c)rap artists like Jay-Z, Flo Rida, Lil' Wayne, etc. GOD, I F***ING HATE RAP AND HIP-HOP!!!!!!
I feel like Odd Future is overrated (the hype for Goblin was really overrated imo), but I have been enjoying the OF side projects (Earl Sweatshirt, Frank Ocean, etc).
Eh, the Beatles weren't really average. I mean, they were pioneers.

Led Zeppelin was very talented, but I think that their godlike status is totally undeserved.
Oh, and Jimmy Page is a thieving bastard.
Any band from the 70's and 80's who wore there hair long and curly and wore black.
It is sad how true that is. What is more sad... that statement refers to the majority of bands from that era.
Hey but don't fret. They were good.
Bands like the Beatles and the Ramones are not overated. Of course they are not virtuose, most of their songs are simple melodies. However thair impact on music is huge. The lyrics of the Ramones look stupid but that's exactly what they were looking for. Most of the blues and old rock songs got stupid lyrics from Chuck Berry to The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC...but thy success to make awesome music with simple things and that's not easy !!!!
I just don't understand why they are/were so inspirational.
Because when they came they were one the first to do this music and have success too !!! Beatles are mainstream actually but in the early 60's it was new.
Mumford and Sons are the first (recent) band that comes to my mind when I think of "overrated", and these past couple of months I've just been hoping and praying that they don't headline Coachella 2013. :no: Others I don't understand the hype for: The Killers, Muse, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Skrillex.
Also: Pearl Jam, but that's probably just me.

Depeche Mode are pretty sweet, I almost saw them in concert but it got cancelled THAT day. :XD:
I compleatly agree that Mumford and Sons are nothing special. Nor The Killer, The Strokes, Pearl jam and don't even get me started on Skrillex.
However, no one really speaks of Vampire Weekend!

I quite like Muse however. I just dislike their Twilight fan base.
Their songs are good, regardless.

Oh, no! Thats a shame. I bet they would be amazing live.
YES! Mumford et fils are overplayed and overrated. The singing isn't even all that good! Though I must say, Muse is alright.
The common thing between Beiber and One Direction is their physic.
Fiona Apple, The Black Belles, Failure (oh god especially FAILURE), fly leaf (their first album only), civil twilight, year of the rabbit, Cherri bomb. Those are underrated and/or unknown. (:

Overrated - Justin Bieber, One Direction, Green Day (although I like them), The Beatles (although I like them), Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, ect.

I disagree about Nirvana being overrated, BUT Smells Like Teen Spirt WAS overrated. It's a great great song, but there are many BETTER nirvana songs than their most popular.
Out of them I only know, Fly leaf. So they must be quite unknown.
I am certain I saw Fly leaf at download festival. If they are whom I am thinking of they were quite good.

I understand what you mean about Nirvana. I wish the radio played more of their songs.
Another underrated - Doctor Steel.

Anyways, awesome.

Yeah, they really only play two of their songs haha.
I love Depeche Mode! They definitely need some more hype :grump:
Them, or Behind Crimson Eyes. I really like that band :nod:

To be honest, I don't think The Beatles are overrated. I absolutely loved growing up with them playing all the time :love:
If you stop to study art, you ruin it.
This is not studying, this is a simple observation that has being annoying me.
Personally I always found the bands that peopled praise so much to be a bit overrated such as Black Sabbath, Metallica, Beatles, Nirvana, etc. Though i can still appreciate their impact in some ways, because had it not been for them some of my other more obscure taste in music might of not existed.

I still think that many influential bands never really got the recognition I believe they deserve such as Swans, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Godflesh.
those bands weren't average, like deviant-garde pointed out, but they are overrated. none of those bands you listed aren't great, perhaps with the exception of the Ramones but that just might be a bias on my part, but are pretty good (besides Green Day, fuck them.)