November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

Overrated

:iconkingmoddie:
KingModdie Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Why are average bands so overrated?
Just to make my self clear.. I am not talking about One direction or the likes of that girl who sang baby. I mean bands that won't/havent been forgotten.
The Beatles, The Ramones, Nirvana, Greenday... You know what I mean.
The songs are okay, but I would not rave about them!

I started to listen to the Ramones again... I am right now...
"Now I wanna sniff some glue
Now I wanna have somethin' to do
All the kids wanna sniff some glue
All the kids want somethin' to do "
... Very inspirational! :rolleyes:
Why did I ever listen to this!?

So what bands do you think are overrated?
... and what bands aren't talked about enough?

Bands that should have more hype:
Creature feature, Ludo, the blackout, the refused, Hadouken, Missing andy, sick puppies, Depeche Mode, Tori Amos, Billy Talent.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Any artist who entered the industry after 1989 is pretty much overrated.

And don't get me started on (c)rap artists like Jay-Z, Flo Rida, Lil' Wayne, etc. GOD, I F***ING HATE RAP AND HIP-HOP!!!!!!
:iconmphtmnslt:
mphtmnslt Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I feel like Odd Future is overrated (the hype for Goblin was really overrated imo), but I have been enjoying the OF side projects (Earl Sweatshirt, Frank Ocean, etc).
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Eh, the Beatles weren't really average. I mean, they were pioneers.

Led Zeppelin was very talented, but I think that their godlike status is totally undeserved.
Oh, and Jimmy Page is a thieving bastard.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Any band from the 70's and 80's who wore there hair long and curly and wore black.
KingModdie Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
It is sad how true that is. What is more sad... that statement refers to the majority of bands from that era.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hey but don't fret. They were good.
:iconthemaggotbrain:
TheMaggotBrain Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Bands like the Beatles and the Ramones are not overated. Of course they are not virtuose, most of their songs are simple melodies. However thair impact on music is huge. The lyrics of the Ramones look stupid but that's exactly what they were looking for. Most of the blues and old rock songs got stupid lyrics from Chuck Berry to The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC...but thy success to make awesome music with simple things and that's not easy !!!!
I just don't understand why they are/were so inspirational.
:iconthemaggotbrain:
TheMaggotBrain Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Because when they came they were one the first to do this music and have success too !!! Beatles are mainstream actually but in the early 60's it was new.
:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Mumford and Sons are the first (recent) band that comes to my mind when I think of "overrated", and these past couple of months I've just been hoping and praying that they don't headline Coachella 2013. :no: Others I don't understand the hype for: The Killers, Muse, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Skrillex.
Also: Pearl Jam, but that's probably just me.

Depeche Mode are pretty sweet, I almost saw them in concert but it got cancelled THAT day. :XD:
I compleatly agree that Mumford and Sons are nothing special. Nor The Killer, The Strokes, Pearl jam and don't even get me started on Skrillex.
However, no one really speaks of Vampire Weekend!

I quite like Muse however. I just dislike their Twilight fan base.
Their songs are good, regardless.

Oh, no! Thats a shame. I bet they would be amazing live.
YES! Mumford et fils are overplayed and overrated. The singing isn't even all that good! Though I must say, Muse is alright.
:iconthe666thpokemonrival:
The666thPokemonRival Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The common thing between Beiber and One Direction is their physic.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Writer
Fiona Apple, The Black Belles, Failure (oh god especially FAILURE), fly leaf (their first album only), civil twilight, year of the rabbit, Cherri bomb. Those are underrated and/or unknown. (:

Overrated - Justin Bieber, One Direction, Green Day (although I like them), The Beatles (although I like them), Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, ect.

I disagree about Nirvana being overrated, BUT Smells Like Teen Spirt WAS overrated. It's a great great song, but there are many BETTER nirvana songs than their most popular.
Out of them I only know, Fly leaf. So they must be quite unknown.
I am certain I saw Fly leaf at download festival. If they are whom I am thinking of they were quite good.

I understand what you mean about Nirvana. I wish the radio played more of their songs.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   Writer
Another underrated - Doctor Steel.

Anyways, awesome.

Yeah, they really only play two of their songs haha.
:iconjarringx:
jarringx Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
don't care
Why comment?
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love Depeche Mode! They definitely need some more hype :grump:
Them, or Behind Crimson Eyes. I really like that band :nod:

To be honest, I don't think The Beatles are overrated. I absolutely loved growing up with them playing all the time :love:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you stop to study art, you ruin it.
This is not studying, this is a simple observation that has being annoying me.
:iconthre3nil:
Thre3Nil Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Personally I always found the bands that peopled praise so much to be a bit overrated such as Black Sabbath, Metallica, Beatles, Nirvana, etc. Though i can still appreciate their impact in some ways, because had it not been for them some of my other more obscure taste in music might of not existed.

I still think that many influential bands never really got the recognition I believe they deserve such as Swans, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Godflesh.
:iconopiumrooster:
opiumrooster Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
those bands weren't average, like deviant-garde pointed out, but they are overrated. none of those bands you listed aren't great, perhaps with the exception of the Ramones but that just might be a bias on my part, but are pretty good (besides Green Day, fuck them.)
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
None of those are average besides Greenday.

The complexity and intelligence of the Ramones lyrics aren't exactly why they were influential. They were one of the first punk rock bands from the original New York scene to go to the UK and they influenced a lot of motherfuckers to form their own. The UK is where punk first got genuinely popular. That's significant.

Nirvana I could give a shit about. The Beatles were really just famous as fuck but they did write a lot of good pop songs. Take it for what it is.

Greenday is shit. Even the "early" years I see people refer to talking about when they were "really" punk are boring as shit. In my opinion they were never that good no matter what point in their career you refer to.
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I like Greenday actually. But I wouldn't say they are brilliant or profound.
When I think of punk, Sex Pistols and The Clash cross my mind. The Ramones don't.
Even The Cure seem more 'punk' to me...

Nirvana were good, they are just over hyped. I am also fed up of Smells like teen spirt. It is the only Nirvana ever played.
The Beatles, I can respect them. I understand why they got famous, they put time into their music. I just don't like it, the songs sound the same and the lyrics aren't geat.

I sort of like old Greenday, the songs were okay. Just never go see them live.
Someone brought me tickets once... Great concert! ... until green day took the stage.
...They had Joan Jett and Frank Turner opening for them... :o
Greenday shouldn't even be in the same place as Joan Jett!
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
Tbf, even Kurt didn't want Nirvana to become as big as it did. And they have much better songs than SLTS, such as HSB, Lithium, and that untitled secret track from SLTS I think? (It may even have a name, but I think it's their best song instrumentally).

I would've liked if groups like Rancid, Black Flag etc. got more exposure than they did.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
If the Cure seems more punk to you than the Ramones, you don't know what punk is.
The Cure are far from punk, I know that.
I made the comparison for the purpose of making a point that the Ramones do not deserve to be called punk.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Except they do and are
:iconregidar:
regidar Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Writer
I agree. Nirvana had so much better music then Smells Like Teen Spirit. That's not why I liked them, I love Nirvana for their entire musical selection. They have near pop songs to close to screemo. They hit a very wide range, and Kurt Cobain was a genius. True, they are over hyped, and it's sad that a lot of people have only heard Smells Like Teen Spirit.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
I always thought that Sex Pistols were shit musically, despite the merit of their influence on the UK Punk scene. I think John Lydon's second band was a million times better (Public Image Ltd.) but if you ever bother looking into music history you've got to understand why Ramones were important especially considering when they formed.
:iconfalynevarger:
FalyneVarger Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
I must say I was NEVER fond of The Ramones, but I think what helped make a lot of these bands popular is they helped set the trends for their time, not because the songs were particularly clever or they were oozing talent.
And yes, Ludo definitely needs more love.
The Ramones did inspire some good bands. I don't see why.
Too true, Ludo are great!
:iconfalynevarger:
FalyneVarger Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yeah, but for some reason they just really clashed with my senses. Probably because they were too odd.
:iconlucasclove:
LucasClove Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Writer
I think this is a matter of opinion.
Great, you can state the obvious. :clap:
Care to share your opinion for an extra Brownie point?
:iconchaosfive-55:
Chaosfive-55 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The BEATLES had their fingers on the pulse of an entire generation, they can hardly be called "average"! I agree about the ohters, though...
Justin Bieber has his fingers on the pulse of this sorry generation. He can be called less than average... way less...
Ugh. Autotune does not a good singer make.
Indeed, I know this. However, the current generation... my generation, don't know this.
Oh, for shame! You overestimate Bieber, he is merely a fad...Lady Gaga has much more influence, I should think!;)
No one cares about Lady Gaga, anymore... Bieber, on the other hand is stupidly popular!
Even if his fad dies, he will live on the internet. A sort of Rick Astley sort of thing. After all he has the most watch, most liked and most hated video of all time.
Bieber never really bothered me--in fact, I've never heard any of his music! Rick Astley sucks, though...and hey, I like some of Gaga's songs! Just Dance and Alejandro are very catchy tunes!
Add a Comment: