Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Do you like artists/bands changing their style?

:iconzerostorm91:
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Everyone knows nothing in music stays the same most of the time artists move on and grow but sometimes they go backwards. So it begs the question is change a good thing? . Personally I think too many bands try too hard to turn something they're not. Heres a few examples I can think of from the top of my head.

Artists that blew it
Ellie goulding
30 seconds to mars
the cab
my chemical romance

Artists that made it
Linkin park
one republic
Adele

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconprojectsonic:
projectsonic Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Writer
Artists that made it:
Radiohead (when I first heard about Kid A, I was afraid. But it was actually good.)
Spock's Beard (Neal Morse left as a born again christian, which normally doesn't sound good for any band considering his place in it. SB pulled it off very well, and still goes on to this day.)

Artists that blew it:
Skillet (it was competent Grunge on the first album, until the leader threw out the entire band and reconstructed. Now it just strives to be whatever's popular and changes style along with trends)
Green Day (It feels more manufactured every time they change style, obviously does it for money)
After The Burial (went from really awesome thing that took a genre and sounded their own with the instrumentation to shit we hear everyday within the first two albums)
Dream Theater (After the head of the band left, I feared the worst. The worst didn't happen, but it still doesn't sound great.)
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I liked skillets awake album along with all the remixes. They dont sound like a bunch of guys with guitars just screaming into the microphone which is what I think everyone assumes they do. And I always thought green day just stopped making music since I hardly hear anything from them anymore on the radio.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think the only band that I still listen to after a lot of style changes is Coldplay. Despite the changes though, it still has that unique sound that I've only ever heard out of them so to me it's still Coldplay and it's fresh at the same time.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I only started listening to coldplay after viva la vida so I dont know much about their old style but I still like them. Especially paradise thats a great single.
:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I remember, when I used to keep up with Disturbed, that their fans were getting rather tired of them "not changing". They claimed that their music just sounded rehashed with every album.

Personally, I think change is good, but it never hurts to go back and try an old thing.
:iconcraigblackmoore:
craigblackmoore Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't mind it. As long as they don't go into lifeless pop music or top 40. As a musician i know what it feels like to get bored with a sound or want to change your message. It happens. Creative Evolution.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree but the thing is those kind of songs probably sell more and at the end of the day artists are just like us who have to pay bills.
:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Depends... Linkin park(until now), and Panic! at the disco were pretty good at changing styles. However, when Cobrastarship made "You make me feel like." it kinda pissed me off because that is their most popular, but just seems like it was made to please the crowd, instead of their true fan base... :/
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't mind a style growing, like how my favourite artist's (Aesop Rock's) early works differ from his newest: his discography is just one big growing up story. Sudden, intentional all-around changes are usually utter disasters in my opinion.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I think it depends on why they've changed their styles.

If an artists changes their style simply because they are trying to force themselve in a brand new demographics (AKA Sell out), it's gonna sound like shit.
If an artist changes their style because that is how they've naturally progressed as a musician or an artist, it can sounds great!

I personally don't like it when a band continues to stay with the same sound their whole careers (AC/DC is an excellent example of such). It's just plain redundant.
Add a Comment: