Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Do you like artists/bands changing their style?

:iconzerostorm91:
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Everyone knows nothing in music stays the same most of the time artists move on and grow but sometimes they go backwards. So it begs the question is change a good thing? . Personally I think too many bands try too hard to turn something they're not. Heres a few examples I can think of from the top of my head.

Artists that blew it
Ellie goulding
30 seconds to mars
the cab
my chemical romance

Artists that made it
Linkin park
one republic
Adele

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconprojectsonic:
projectsonic Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Writer
Artists that made it:
Radiohead (when I first heard about Kid A, I was afraid. But it was actually good.)
Spock's Beard (Neal Morse left as a born again christian, which normally doesn't sound good for any band considering his place in it. SB pulled it off very well, and still goes on to this day.)

Artists that blew it:
Skillet (it was competent Grunge on the first album, until the leader threw out the entire band and reconstructed. Now it just strives to be whatever's popular and changes style along with trends)
Green Day (It feels more manufactured every time they change style, obviously does it for money)
After The Burial (went from really awesome thing that took a genre and sounded their own with the instrumentation to shit we hear everyday within the first two albums)
Dream Theater (After the head of the band left, I feared the worst. The worst didn't happen, but it still doesn't sound great.)
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I liked skillets awake album along with all the remixes. They dont sound like a bunch of guys with guitars just screaming into the microphone which is what I think everyone assumes they do. And I always thought green day just stopped making music since I hardly hear anything from them anymore on the radio.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think the only band that I still listen to after a lot of style changes is Coldplay. Despite the changes though, it still has that unique sound that I've only ever heard out of them so to me it's still Coldplay and it's fresh at the same time.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I only started listening to coldplay after viva la vida so I dont know much about their old style but I still like them. Especially paradise thats a great single.
:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I remember, when I used to keep up with Disturbed, that their fans were getting rather tired of them "not changing". They claimed that their music just sounded rehashed with every album.

Personally, I think change is good, but it never hurts to go back and try an old thing.
:iconcraigblackmoore:
craigblackmoore Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't mind it. As long as they don't go into lifeless pop music or top 40. As a musician i know what it feels like to get bored with a sound or want to change your message. It happens. Creative Evolution.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree but the thing is those kind of songs probably sell more and at the end of the day artists are just like us who have to pay bills.
:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Depends... Linkin park(until now), and Panic! at the disco were pretty good at changing styles. However, when Cobrastarship made "You make me feel like." it kinda pissed me off because that is their most popular, but just seems like it was made to please the crowd, instead of their true fan base... :/
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't mind a style growing, like how my favourite artist's (Aesop Rock's) early works differ from his newest: his discography is just one big growing up story. Sudden, intentional all-around changes are usually utter disasters in my opinion.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I think it depends on why they've changed their styles.

If an artists changes their style simply because they are trying to force themselve in a brand new demographics (AKA Sell out), it's gonna sound like shit.
If an artist changes their style because that is how they've naturally progressed as a musician or an artist, it can sounds great!

I personally don't like it when a band continues to stay with the same sound their whole careers (AC/DC is an excellent example of such). It's just plain redundant.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It can become boring if a band does the same thing over and over again the lostprophets is a good example of this. It seems they just ran out of ideas. I don't listen to ACDC that much but they seem like one of those bands that have just learnt to stick with a style that they've become famous for. My chemical romance is doing the same thing atm
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Grateful Dead changed their style in the late '70s-early '80s, abandoning their "psychedelic rock" style from the late '60s. But I still like their music.
:iconsafva:
safva Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Personally I would put Linkin Park in the category as artists that blew it. :<

They lost so many fans with their new stupid music... I am so disappointed in them, really.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
They lost so many pre-teens with their new mature music, I think is what you meant to say
safva Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, they have lost their really honest fan-base. I know so many people that were really into Linkin Park back in the day. You can't deny, their songs then were so good.
Their music now has just taken up a more subtle facade. Haha, now that you mention their new music is 'mature' though, I would agree to a certain extent, where it is 'mature' in a sense that it's controlled and together. However their songs had more impact when I used to know them a few years back. :)
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A thousand suns to me was their worst album but minutes to midnight and living things make up for it. Artists have to move on, you cant expect them to keep sticking with their angsty teen style of music. Im still gutted that I couldnt go and see them in cape town :(
safva Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Whoa, I heard it was pretty hectic in Cape Town D: Someone passed away at the concert and stuff.

By the way, how is their new album?
I remember Minutes to Midnight, lol, we really thought the album would be something and we bought it expecting it to be as awesome as we imagined, but 'Bleed It Out' was the song I think they carried their old style into. Slowly though their initial sound just faded out.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Its really good well at least for me. Its a lot more like their old work, you should listen to castle of glass if you can find it on youtube.
safva Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm, I should hey. I really miss LP :<

And it's so weird that they named the song 'Castle of Glass', I just recently got a new Moses Metroman song that's called 'Glaskastele' :XD:
:iconpieaceofmind:
pieaceOfmind Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Artist
i dont think you should force it, just make what comes out. if you make hood rap, and you move out the hood then how are you gonna make hood rap. if thats your thing and you stay in the environment that made the music i think you can maintain the style. I dont mind artists changing their music as their life changes, if i dont like it too bad for me. im sure perspective changes with age and thats kinda why i would expect someones music to change. slayer keeps on rockn the same tune, but their out of ideas, they survive on news and politics now.
:iconpieaceofmind:
pieaceOfmind Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Artist
and then theirs music theory, which you could maintain a style with but why wouldn't you want to explore more?
:iconflamingflowerspd8:
flamingflowerSPD8 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i think they should stick to originality and what makes them them, Taylor Swift changed her style but country was.. HER. You know? I absolutely love her new pop songs but she's not unique anymore.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I myself am a big country music fan and for me Taylor swift never really fell into
that genre. She always just been a pop singer who made a few soft
songs that everyone just decided to label country. Just listen to Zac brown and brad paisley and you'll notice the difference
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Some can do it and some can't. Some can do it and succeed then do it again and fail or vice versa. Take Emilie Autumn for example. She started out with "Enchant" calmer, somewhat poppy, general classical, blues/jazz, that kind of thing ([link] or [link]). Then she released "Opheliac" (or even Laced/Unlaced) and was anything but calm for the most part. She became, as she calls it, victoriandustrial ([link] or [link]). Then she released her third non-instrumental full-length album "Fight Like a Girl" and is now somewhere in the middle, between the two ([link] or [link]). The first transition was good. The second.....not so much. FLAG was decent, but nowhere near as good as the other two.
:iconiheartkimpine:
iheartkimpine Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Green Day have changed style loads of times but I've loved them all the way through.
They had darker lyrical themes with Insomniac, Tried Alternative and acoustic music with Nimrod and then the rock operas came with American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Now they're doing all sorts of things with Uno, Dos and Tre although I still agree that nothing they've done has been as good as Dookie.
:iconnegative-letter:
Negative-Letter Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Though change doesn't work for everyone, I respect any artists that at least try to change, even though their fans may not be fond of it.
:iconqueenraiden:
QueenRaiden Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not sure if anyone remembers that album in which Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave collaborated with Timbaland. Or maybe people just want to forget that one
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have to find that lol It sounds interesting
:iconysfaye:
ysfaye Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
I like the idea that they try and change their style to keep us entertained but some new styles are so bad that I stopped listening to the artists completely.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah I agree Its a fine line though
:iconsleinadflar:
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
After the usual suspects (Muse, Linkin Park... I have to admit I don't care enough to have heard the latest albums, although I somewhat like those bands) some other (and slightly older and rockier) examples.

Artists that made it:
Anathema (twice (and a half)): started out as an interesting, but not earth-shattering, doom-death band, but transfered into a brilliant heavily Pink Floyd inspired prog rock band (with half a transition to more Radiohead territory). Disbanded for a short while in the early 2000s, but came back stronger as ever, with a more distinct own style. Probably the best band around at this day and age.
Paradise Lost (twice): started out as a brilliant doom-death band, transformed into a brilliant synth pop/rock band (heavily Depeche Mode influence) and now again went back to a more doom/gothic metal style. Not every album is a winner, but my favourites are from all 3 ages (Gothic, One Second and Faith Divides Us)

Artists that blew it:
Coldplay: believe it or not, Coldplay used to be a good band, or at least have some good songs. Then they tried to be as big as U2. That's when they lost me. (Speaking of U2, they used to be good in the 80s, but blew it in the early 90s)
Queensr˙che: probably the worst offender. Early QR is beautiful US power/prog metal, with fantastic guitar melodies and a wonderful voice. From 1996 onwards however they have only released CRAP.
Metallica: just compare Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets with The Black Album and the Loads. And let's forget St Anger ever happened. I rest my case.
The Killers: I love their debut. Sam's Town isn't half bad either. After that, not so much.

All in all, it's easier to blow it than to make it.
:iconcarmalain7:
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Well done, sir.
:clap:
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I was gonna suggest Anathema but wasn't sure who else would know who they are. Their last two albums are genius in so many ways...

Also, I'll agree with you on U2. I liked some tracks on their last album, but the singles were abysmally boring and cheesy. Their early stuff is a different story. I'd say they belong on the "artists that made it list" for the transition from Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, both of which are brilliant for completely different reasons. Zooropa rocks too, but that's where they drifted off into the wilderness of adult-contemporary, presumably never to return.
:iconsleinadflar:
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Anathema is a criminally underrated band. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better after Alternative4, Judgement and Natural Disaster, I was proven wrong with Weather Systems.

I never liked the 90s output of U2 that much. My fav album will always be The Unforgettable Fire.
:icondefaultking:
defaultking Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Is it too soon to imagine the next Anathema album? I hope not...

I like that album too.
:iconthisomessedup:
ThISoMessedUp Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Artists that blew it -
Muse - They use to be fantastic and I loved all their albums up to their most recent one.
Elliot Minor - Their first album was brilliant, but when their second one came out, they changed a lot and now I haven't heard anything from them in years. But I do recommend their first album.
Green Day - They just sold out. I know everyone loves them, but I prefer their earlier stuff. Up to American Idiot, it was so good.
McFly - Same as Green Day. They sold out. Mainstream and horrible. Anything up to Motion in the Ocean was fantastic.
Simple Plan - Same as before. They've sold out.

Artists that made it -
Fightstar - Even though they're currently on a break after their last album 'Be Human', it was very different to their others, but it wasn't a flop at all.
Deaf Havana - Losing Ryan has changed their style of music altogether but they're doing better than they did with him.
You Me At Six - They've grown up with the music. But they're still loved as much as they were when they first released songs.
All Time Low - Dirty Work was a bit of a flop but they've certainly brought it back with their new album.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ive always liked elliot minor but I dont think we can be so harsh on them just yet. Solaris to me wasnt that and they still have to improve. I also used to listen to the other bands you mentioned but you just grow out of them I think . Even if they have improved I cant see myself listening to you me at six and all time low again
:iconthisomessedup:
ThISoMessedUp Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Alex from Elliot Minor is currently in Charlie Simpson's band. I saw Charlie last night and all the way through I was like 'The guy on piano really looks like Alex from Elliot Minor'.

And the other bands, as I said, I love all their songs up to when they changed style.
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, it must get boring after a while, creating the same old tunes again and again so changes can be very good. I agree that Adele and Linkin Park's newer stuff is awesome! In my opinion:

Artists that made it: Emilie Autumn (she made a massive change, her oldest music is oh so pretty, sweet and fantasy based and then a few years later jumped to an obsession for suicide, disasters, mental disorders and the Victorian era. I liked both of those themes but I much prefer the mental Victorian one)
Muse (Why does everyone hate their latest album? Although I am slightly disapproving of the Dubstep, it definitely isn't as bad as people are making it look like)
Amy MacDonald (although there's no dramatic change, I can see she's becoming more mature with her lyrics, even if she was always very mature. The one thing that got on my nerves with her lyrics is her obsession with the phrase 'something more'. It appears in at least 10 of her songs. Altough she hasn't completely let go of it, I'm glad to see it's been kept under control)
The Rasmus/Lauri (Quite recently, the frontman of alternative rock/metal/funk band The Rasmus started a solo project that revolved around electropop. Big change, went well)

Artists that blew it : Avril Lavigne (First two albums, excellent. The 3rd one should have a genre of it's own: fail rock. And as for the 4th one, that's just a load of boring acoustic, immature gunk)
Paramore Their 2nd album was the best in my opinion, their latest one is still great but does get mega annoying after a while)
Panic at the Disco! (their first album was unique, very well done, later on, their music just became a Beatles rip off)

The one that stands in the middle Marina and the Diamonds The only thing that stopped her from entering the bland world of mainstream pop is her sarcastic, sometimes mega deep lyrics and the concept of her latest album. For her 2nd album she created a little character called 'Electra Heart' who was supposed to embody all the bad things about a young woman's attitude to love. The entire album is written in her point of view, and it worked well, because although at a first glance it sounds as though she really means all the heartless, immature comments she sings, deep down you can hear her sarcastic tone and that the real Marina doesn't approve of her character. Unfortunately it's the actual music that bugs me. She used to write really pretty and catchy indie-pop, which has now been switched for heavy electronic. I hope she switches back to her old style. I'm really bad at explaining things, I hope that made any sense)

Woah, looking back at that comment, I really need to stop going into so much detail, sorry ^^;
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha don't worry about the long comment. On paramore and panic I feel like their new stuff is way better especially panic who seem to have finally figured out what works best for them. Avril lavigne has always been overatted for me and that whole "look I'm a punk rock chick anarchy 4 life!" Thing just pisses me off. I have a few amy mcdonald songs I just never bothered to look into her more. I dunno maybe its just that cheesy sound she has. In general I think when artists are looking to try something new a lot of theme just go the electro/pop route like the ones you mentoined which is a real shame.
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It can be a real shame, unless it works well, which doesn't happen often I must say.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
PatD's second album was far more unique than their first. Their first was just The Killers in pop-punk.
:iconratpackswaggah:
RatPackSwaggaH Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Artists changing their style isn't a bad thing. I mean their new stuff might sound horrible as fuck but at least they're willing to make changes instead of singing the same old shit again and again. Everyone is talking about how Linkin Park has gone down the drain but tbh their new stuff are more mature compared to the teenage angst they sang back in the days of Hybrid Theory, even though it doesn't sound as nice as the songs in their older albums. But I don't care about them anymore, whether its their new music or old music, now I've lost interest in them.

Moving on, sometimes change is a good thing. A lot of people hate how Sufjan Stevens has gone to, what people call it, 'autotune bullshit' compared to the great folk songs he has released, tbh I love The Age of Adz almost as much as I love Illinois, and the hip-hop EP he did alongside Son Lux and Serengeti as well as the Planetarium project he did with Bryce Dessner and Nico Muhly earlier this year are great.
I agree with linkin park theyre a much better band now I think the.

I just had a quick listen to sufjan and im surprised I havent heard of him before since im a pretty big folk fan myself. I dont think there's so much difference between hes old work and new stuff. Even as s/s/s you can still recognize his voice which must be good thing.
:iconratpackswaggah:
RatPackSwaggaH Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
That's what I thought too! A lot of people seem to dislike his new music and that's fine by me but tbh all of his songs have a sort of certain feel that makes it his, so even though he does different genres, it's still very Sufjan and I really like that.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I think it's a good thing.

If you listen to Foxy Shazam's first album, Flamingo Trigger, and then listen to their newest, Church of Rock and Roll, it doesn't even sound like the same band, but you can still taste that it's the same people, and I think that's wonderful. Flamingo Trigger is my favorite album of theirs but if they kept going that route it would no longer be special to me.

The Fall of Troy also changed a bit throughout it's lifespan, but not too much

All in all, bands changing their style can be done well or it can be done poorly. As long as there's still some semblance throughout, it's alright in my book

Yes I have a book
Yeah it would just seem the more obvious choice for bands to keep moving on and trying new things rather then to just do the same thing over and over again.

I dont listen to foxy shazam that much but I would definitely prefer their newer work church of rock and roll, It just seems like a more well crafted album.
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, as terrible as it might sound, if Linkin Park died after making their first two album, i would probably hail them as one of the best bands of the 90's. Alternatively, i hear about them from time to time and cry a little on the inside that they didn't at least break up or something.

As for 30 Seconds to Mars, i'm not sure how there music sounds - i literally have never listened to any of their records - but i saw them live before they released so much as a demo and they were absolutely terrible - like, booed off stage terrible - granted they were only the first of three openers for that show but the fact that anyone knows them at all means that they obviously made some changes in a good way before they started releasing music because quite honestly that shit wasn't listenable before.
zerostorm91 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
90's? I dont think linkin park are that old. I suppose its just about tastes, what I perceive as good others might see as trash. It seems theres never any halfway when it comes to linkin park
Carmalain7 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
i want to say that Hybrid Theory came out late 90's... though i could just be losing it; you're totally right about Meteora though, now that i think about it, i totally bought that album sometime around '03.

As far as Linkin Park goes, they just lost what made them an attractive band to begin with which was raw emotion and a propensity towards a varied at the time - albeit predictable across albums - song structure. Now a days there just is no drive in them anymore...
Add a Comment: