best animated films (not disney or ghibli)

Lately i've been looking for good animated films because i absolutely love song of the sea and the secret of kells but it's hard to find good animated movies that are not made by disney or ghibli.
Don't get me wrong, i love disney and ghibli but their styles are too defined and sometimes i need something different.

so here's my question: what are your favorite non disney/ghibli animated movies?
Comments96
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
'cool cat saves the kids' by derek savage. best movie HANDS DOWN. you have to truly give credit to the creator holy shit! the plot was golden! dont let the title fool you!
i had never heard of that one before, i'll check it out :D (Big Grin) 
The Rabbi's Cat
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
The Road to El Dorado
Corpse Bride
Nightmare before Christmas

Soviet:
The Scarlet Flower
Jungle Book (much closer to the original Kipling story than the Disney movie)
Snow Queen
Golden Antelope
The Tale of the Dead Princess and the Seven Knights

Mate, there is:

Redline - fucking insane animated movie with extreme amount of detail in it's animation. The movie took 7 years to make and it shows. Japan knows their shit

Iron Giant - The only animated movie I cried at as a kid

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 and 2 - Both are very mature Batman films with a fight scene that Batman V Superman ripped off

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - Based on a really good anime

Persepolis - Never seen it but I heard it was good

Tokyo Godfathers - emotional movie but is sometimes very uplifting

Watership down - Emotional movie but it never uplifting... Just rabbits getting killed... Yup, good movie by the way. Seen it when I was 5... Never forget

The BFG - Not the new one, there was an animated version years ago and it's pretty good

The Prince of Egypt - even though I don't believe what happened in the movie, it was still very enjoyable with really good songs

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - really good 3d movie, doesn't have those creepy faces from the Polar Express, thankfully.
Land before time
Care bears
Batman
Iron Giant
corpse Bride
the last unicorn 

its the manliest movie ever 
haha unicorns are the manliest creatures ever invented  Llama Emoji-48 (I'm Cool with Mah Sunglasses) [V2]  ok maybe not, but the last unicorn is a great movie:iloveit: 
wonderful days is amazing
never heard of it what is it about?:o (Eek) 
It's hard to explain...

I think it might have only been released in Japan.  I watched a digital copy from a friend.

Basically there is this corrupt govt and this guy on a cool motorcycle and some chick fight it out at the end.

I'm not sure, i saw it back in 2002 i think.

anyways, i'll try to find it and let you know more.
Wizards, Fire and Ice, American Pop, The triplets of Belleville.
"Animalympics" is a fun movie.  It's animals doing the Olympics.  I've seen it a bunch of times as a kid and can still enjoy it today.

I'm pretty sure you can find it on youtube 
She said not Ghibli... 
The Equestria Girls sequels.
Song of the Sea. Easily a top 5 favorite. I wish we'd get more animated movies like these. I get overly emotional every time I watch it. Much better than Kells (which was good, but felt a little half-assessed in its storytelling). A solid story, a strong plot, beautiful score (bought it), beautiful animation & visuals, uses its mythological figures to actually drive the storytelling, & wonderful characters. There's not many animated films like it.

Batman Mask of the Phantasm (after this movie, NONE of the Batman movies that hit theaters were any good.)

ParaNorman

Corpse Bride

Coraline.

The Iron Giant

The Land Before Time

Anastasia

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Secret of Kells.
yeah i agree, the secret of kells looks beautiful as well and the music is great, but the story is a little meh. but i feel like some of the characters make up for that a little bit because some of them are really good :D (Big Grin) 
but i wish we had more movies like that, they are really beautiful and unique and it's nice to have a rest from traditional and super predictable disney story telling.
Waltz with Bashir
woah that's one i had never heard of before and the style looks awesome! Oh Noes! 
it's about the Lebanon war.
It's not a pleasant feel-good movie, but it is a good one nonetheless
oh thanks for the warning haha i'll look for it anyway, it looks beautiful even if the story is sad o.o
Despicable me movies
Balto
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Monster House
Cats Don't Dance
Over the Hedge
Megamind
Osmosis Jones (it's like half animated)
The Road to El Dorado (Pretty much anything Dreamworks - I always saw these over anything Disney as a kid, with the exception of Pixar movies)
Yellow Submarine
The Brave Little Toaster