Appreciating old shows like "The Prisoner"

I was not born in the 60,s or 70's so, I found the "The Prisoner" 60's original great, the remake crap. I read online that Ridely Scott is to do something about it. I hope they get the best orchestra, and really mind sc*ew you hard.  Like seriously, bring it.  Bring it bad. I would like some cool Japanese orchestra to do the theme song or something. I want the "Rove" thing to be freaking scary! So, he has some horror background then bring it. Just not quite as dark as the trailer for "Twin Peaks". That's my two cents. How about you? Any ideas for castings?
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Prisoner is one of my favourite shows, if not my all-time favourite. I didn't watch the remake -- there was never any point to remaking it, since it's not as if it needed to be remade, and they were highly unlikely to do it justice -- so I don't know for certain how they handled it. Honestly, my opinion is that it's not really possible to remake. The actors, the scripts, the directing, the setting, it all came together perfectly the first time; just leave it at that. TV series don't expire after a certain number of years. People can still watch it and enjoy it. On the other hand, if they were to make another series clearly inspired by The Prisoner with a different cast and different plot but very similar themes, that could be great.

Danger Man / Secret Agent and The Avengers are my other two favourite shows, and I wouldn't see any point in remaking them, either. I also still don't like the remake of Battlestar Galactica, and I really like the original. There are times when it makes sense to remake a movie or TV show, but in my opinion, that's only when it really couldn't be done fully the first time. Remaking a silent movie, for example, makes sense. Remaking one where the special effects were so poor that the idea couldn't be realised makes sense. Remaking one just for the heck of it, or to cash in, is just annoying. I find the notion that people can't enjoy stories written before they were born to be rather insulting, really. Perhaps some can't, but that's their loss.
I read that they could not name " The Prisoner" John Drake from that show or he'd pay royalties, maybe risk copyright or something. Why not come up with Jake Blake? Instead of John Drake? It's close, it's still a name. Or Jeff Lake?
Well, I can't promise that you will love or even like the Prisoner remake (I have it on DVD), but they tried to take it very seriously. There were times when it lacked the unified feeling that a fully realized script should have, but there were also some deeply moving moments and some clever surprises that made me gasp. I don't want to seem like I am pressuring you into watching the remake. It's better than you think it is, but not as good as it should have been.
I should in fairness note that I wasn't as much of a fan of the original, so I had less skin in the game when they remade it. The finale in the remake labors very hard to find closure, though in the process they start laying pipe like crazy. The final shot was haunting, though.
I liked the Battlestar Galactica remake -- after my friend spent two years pressuring me into watching it -- but found the ending so awful that I never watched the syndication or bought the DVDs. Avengers? I used to love that one, and saw nearly every episode they made (it played at, oh, about 4:15 in the morning locally, and I had to record it on the VCR...though they kept changing the times. I even bought a big guide to every version of the series. Fun!
Good points. :) I never thought about remaking the 'silent films'. :)
That does make me curious how they'll handle the plot. The finale of the original was of course bananas, but I can't say the miniseries version was satisfying either. Maybe if they decide to kind of leave things a mystery..
At the end if you look closely, or 'listen closely' it does make it kinda like an 'oh no,' moment.