Most overrated ghilbi film in your opinion??

Just curious! :0
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I felt a little let down by Ponyo.  The art was beautiful but the plot was all over the place.  And not in the typical Studio Ghibli way that makes it work.  Just in a weird "where is this movie even going" way.  I probably would have liked it more if I'd seen it when I was little. 
love them all but if I had to say then I'd say panyo because it's ending was very anticlimactic
While I did enjoy Grave of the Fireflies, it wasn't the most amazing thing I have ever seen despite all of its sad moments. It's still a great film though 
I'm gonna say The Wind Rises.
It was ok but nothing spectacular, honestly. Sorry.
With Ponyo, the story wasn't that interesting, and the world-building felt like it was lacking.

While Castle in the Sky had some interesting concepts in the second half, the chase scenes in the first half were very annoying. I had to force myself to continue with the film.

Kiki's Delivery Service didn't make a lot of sense to me: "Here, Kiki, go out in the world with no further guidance and learn to become a witch!"
I like all of them really- but if I had to pick, it would be Whisper Of The Heart- it just didn't grab me as much, or as instantly as the other Ghibli films.
your icon is terrifying HAHA
--also haven't seen it, but got similar vibes from trailer
kiki's delivery service, i was constantly wondering when something's gonna happen. waiting for an enticing incident or something like it
Damn, really? I would've said that's one of the most underrated ones. I never hear anyone ever talking about it, comparative to Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc. The character development is a lot more subtle, focussed more on day-to-day interactions rather than 'Wow, look at this bizarre fantasy world! Isn't it charming and quirky and charming? Isn't it just?' Which most of the others seem to be. I don't, by any means, dislike any of the others, they're all great in their own way, I just really enjoy the different feel of Kiki's. It's relaxing to watch.
really, i hear people talking about it all the time :O.O: . well i liked that she was a relatable protagonist as opposed to the protagonist in princess mononoke. but to me the magical fantasy world is what makes a ghilbi film really ghilbi-ish, and it's what keeps my interest while i'm waiting for the plot to kick in to action. with Kiki i was constantly wondering "when is this gonna start?", or when is something gonna happen already? well actually i was thinking that about totoro too,  but yea you're right it is pretty relaxing to watch.
None of the Ghibli films are bad or anything like that, but for all the talk I heard regarding Ponyo, it didn't leave near as big of an impact or impression on me as the other films did.
Out of all the ones I've seen, probably Castle in the Sky. I still love it, but it just didn't feel up to par with Ghibli's other stuff.
i actually thought laputa was one of his most eerie/ haunting films
seriously, what happened to all the other laputans? a whole civilization goes missing, the mysterious robots what were they built for? and Laputa it just floats in the sky, abandoned and deserted? .... i don't know it really haunts me 
View all replies
Princess Monoke, like a lot of people already said there is a lot of bland characters, there are some good ones bu they all have small roles ( the female weapons dealer, the Monk, the Mother wolf, ) But we don't learn a lot about the title character and the main character is bland.
 It has good animation a wonderful soundtrack  but overall the pacing and ending felt really flat when it was such a build up
Princess Mononoke, without a doubt. The protagonist was insultingly perfect and bland, the characters are all boring, the animation was disappointing, the depiction of the forest is a miss, the Miyazaki cliches, and it has the WORST ENGLISH DUB EVER. Miyazaki is a complete fool for casting Billy Bob Thorton as one of the characters (he does such a crap job of acting; totally miscast), and the protagonist's boyish, overly dramatic voice is simply intolerable.

I hated watching this film. At least Naussicca, despite also having one of the worst protagonists in cinematic history, gave us an incredible world to contemplate. Mononoke's landscape is the textbook definition of generic.
I didn't completely understand the appeal of Mononoke either. It wasn't a terrible movie, but I've seen better.
Was there anything about Mononoke that you legitimately hated?
I can't say I hated anything about it, although Mononoke did feel a little slow and unexciting at times.