Favourite sci-fi series?

Good news everyone!
This year appears to be a great year for sci-fi!
So I decided to make a thread where we can talk about our favourites,
Whether they be live action, animated, comics, from the US or Japan, list your favourite sci-fi series!

So, allow me to begin;

As for TV series.
My ultimate favourite would have to be Star Trek, and in particular The Next Generation and Voyager!
They challenge philosophy while at the same time making for a good space adventure.

Dr Who often enough does the same and I appreciate it a lot.

As for comics.
That would have to be the franco-belgian series called Sillage (or Wake as translated into English).
It's a series where almost each graphic novel is its own adventure, but altogether having this over-arcing mystery that has something to do with each one. Combine that with a lot if action and interspecies politics and you have a pretty cool story!

Your turn!
Comments167
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
In regards to the Star Trek franchise, Roddenberry really screwed the pooch when he re-imagined the Klingons and Romulans starting with ST-TNG. In the original series, the Klingons were loosely modeled on the Soviets, and made the perfect bad guys in accordance with the Cold War climate at the time. Now, they're nothing more than wannabe Japanese samurai, and rather pitiful at that. The old Klingons were FUN!

As for the Romulans, the old series pictured them as basically the ancient Roman culture plastered over a Chinese form of government. These guys and gals believed in the established concept of what honour truly was to the ancient Romans and stayed true to it; with ST-TNG and beyond, they're now shown as little more than Sneaky Petes.

Yeah, Roddenberry should have left them as they were.
I disagree. I always thought that Klingons were rather 2 dimensional in TOS.
Also, Klingons are much more based on Normans, the only thing really Japanese about them is their honour system.
TOS I don't find that a great series, as much as the ultimate trekkies keep defending it. And nah, its not because its simply older; I watch and fully enjoy The Man of UNCLE (series, not movie).

To me, the best of Star Trek was TNG. Consistency and originality started falling apart in VOY and was nowhere to be found in ENT.
Fortunately, I am NOT an ultimate Trekkie. While I enjoyed some aspects of the various shows, overall they never held much appeal to me. Unlike you, I grew up during the Cold War, so I can identify with the old Klingons much more so than the new ones. Understand that I'm not knocking your personal choice, Tattorack, I do respect it. While I agree that for the most part the old Klingons were two-dimensional, they still are in the new ones. Kang, Kor, Koloth, Klag, Gowron and Martok were the only Klingons I can honestly say were three-dimensional. Worf doesn't count; he was just a Federation lapdog. ;) (Wink) :D (Big Grin) 
Wait... grew up in the cold war!?
*checks your age*
Oh... kay...
That explains it then.
Yeah, I'd see why the older Klingons are more appealing to you.

Oh, Worf would likely challenge you to some sort of duel if he read that.
Battlestar Galactica (reimagined) and Doctor Who
Star Trek. TNG is my favorite, but I think my second favorite is Deep Space Nine. I really like Garak because you never know if he's good or bad. I like the story, but I don't like the ending.

Voyager is also up there, but I like it because I'm so happy about female captain. I also like episodes with the doctor and seven of nine. They're comical characters :D the Borg :) I thought ending was good.
You're... being serious?
*hides behind blast proof door*
Yes, why wouldn't I?
I'm not sure if it changed in later seasons, but when I saw it I thought the acting was quite bad ^^;
Did you watch Miracle Day? There's your problem.
So it's my favs 

ALF
star Treck 
Star Wars : Clone wars 
Men In black (the animated series and movie) 
Ben 10 
Generator Rex 
Trek without the "c".
(sorry, nitpicking ^^; )

MIB got an animated series? Didn't know that...
There are many good sci-fi shows, some of the newer ones have great potential, like The 100, the brand new Dark Matter (if it gets its storytelling together in the second half of the season) and Star Wars Rebels (I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy and this is damn close for an animated kid's show).

My all time favorites are:
- Babylon 5 (still the best written series out there)
Star Trek Next Generation (I grew up on this, but I also like the original series and Deep Space 9. Didn't care for Voyager too much though)
Firefly (as it stands one of the best pieces of scifi I have ever seen. As much as it pains me, I think it may be a blessing that it got cancelled this early, because Whedon has a tendency to turn great shows into a convoluted mess when he tries to unravel the main plots)

I think the problem with many modern Scifi series is the writing. I loved the look of the new Battlestar Galactica, but the writing (especcially the whole mess with human Cylons) was just plain awful.
I'd love to see some quality writing in scifi in a modern show. For example, the relationship between G'Kar and Londo was hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time; Star Trek tackled question about philosophy and what makes us human - I liked that.
Effects and design are important, too, but in the age of digital effects, editing and filtering, it is not enough to look awesome, everyone can do that (just look at some fan films out there, you'll see what I mean). A scifi show needs to have heart and charme to get me and that's what most modern shows lack in my eyes.
I totally agree.
Most new sci fi series are solely based on showing flashy effects and technology.
That should get its own genre: tech-fi, because a proper sci fi deals with situations, not just technology.
I don't have a problem with tech and flashy effects, but it is simply not enough in most cases. 
I even think there needs to be a little explanation about the capabilities of the universe's tech - something I really miss in Dark Matter - the tech looks awesome, but I don't have a grasp of how it really works.

Not everyone can get away with little to none explanation (JMS of Bab 5 once said, "A Starfury fighter travels at the speed of plot. It is there when the story needs it to be.") :D
I loved the sophisticated tech bubble in Star Trek - but in the end, we need characters and stories to make it all work.
Understandably sci fi needs some flashy tech.
But that's all it is now.
And everything from series to video games has this problem.
At least in movies we've gotten some good ones in the last few years. Especially Interstellar.
Oh yes, I liked that one. I loved the 70s SciFi vibe it was breathing. :)
Any in particular?
Honestly, I think I enjoyed them all about equally, albeit for different reasons. I'd love to see a new series sometime; just keep Berman away from it. :lol:
I must ask if you've seen, much less heard of, the fan film "Prelude to Axanar": www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8I…