What movies have had the biggest impact on your life?

I just thought would be an interesting topic of conversation.

For me, I have a few. When I wee Aspie girl of 5 or so, I would take images from movies I had seen on TV and come up with my own stories. In a way, in my mind's eye, I was creating something I would like to participate in. For example, a favorite was having Luke Skywalker team up with the kids from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome to rescue Cyndel Towani and the Ewoks from Darth Vader. 

The first movie that really inspired me was The Neverending Story (1984). First of all, it opened my eyes to whole new realities of existence. I spent many hours trying to figure out how the Rebels or myself could get to Fantasia because I thought it was an actual planet, not a higher pane of existence.  Eventually, these images merged and now Savannah's clan was trying to get to Fantasia to rejoin their parents. Heck, I even pretended that Atreyu and Bastian were my imaginary friends and would have breakfast with me.

As a girl on the spectrum, I loved reading fiction, and I loved Jules Verne and Roald Dahl. At the time, my parents had finally joined a church and I was quickly confirmed into the Presbyterian Church my sixth grade year. I already knew a lot about the bible, but I felt like something was missing. Enter the Star Wars Twentieth Anniversary release! I had never felt that alive before in my life after seeing a movie. It held so much for me: mythology, fairy tales and religion. Star Wars quenched my thirst for a deeper spiritual and philosophical understanding of the world around me.

When 2005 came around, I was disgusted with politics and debating on giving up on religion because so many people were bad mouthing Christinaity, even the progressive Christians, like myself. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe helped me understand my faith better and I gained a deeper understanding of my personal relationship with God. No matter how any mistakes we make, I know that I am loved for being myself.

It is through these movies that I have learned more about myself and have become a stronger, wiser person. I hope you have had the same experience with a movie and can't wait to read your replies.
Comments359
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Saw series, Final Destination films, Big Fish..uh, I can't think of anymore but I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this.
The two series I stayed caught up in and was completely immersed in the Saw series. I still love it and have all the DVDs. Big Fish is just such a great story and leaves a lump in my throat. 
I never got around to seeing Big Fish, was it good?
omg I love this movie. It's really cute and it's a little sad. It is definitely worth it to watch! I seriously could watch this movie everyday. <3
thanks for the reccomendation. :)
in no particular order:

2001:A Space Odyssey
Akira
Fight Club
Lord of War
The Dark Knight Trilogy
The Crow
The Big Lebowski
The Star Wars Saga (Even the Prequels because as a whole they're just decent movies with a number of flaws)
The Giver
In Time
Fantastic Planet
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Wolverine (taught me how overrated immortality would be)
The Last Samurai
Whoa, quite the list! :)
yeah well i would have listed just 10 but after a while i realized that just wasn't enough to drive the point across
its a well compiled list
I'm more of a tv series or videogames kind of guy, but these are the movies that actually helped me.

Braveheart
Fight for what is right even if people disagrees with you & you'll die a horrible painful death for doing so!
Metropolis (the anime)
Good things comes to a bitter end.
Blazing Saddles
What is considered norm by the society is not necessary makes it a good thing or a right thing. More importantly, just because the majority of people believes in it doesn't mean everybody believes in it as well.
Dune (The tv movie)
Free yourself from oppression.
Robocop
You can be good by being violent.

They have the same underline, be the change, don't wait for it or complain about it.
whoa, quite the list there. i have only seen blazing saddles and metropolis. saw the latter with my younger sis in a local cinema when we were in high schhol, liked it until the ending. thought mononoke hime/princess mononoke was a better film.
All kinds of movies with people with abilities like the matrix and star wars
How cool woul it be to have such powers like the force
Groundhog Day. I learned not to waste my life and that every single day counts
a good philosiphy for anybody, I think.
For me, Ghostbusters I enjoyed as kid and still s an adult. Bill Murray, Dan Akryod and Harold Raimis are my heroes. They've always made me laugh. I was devistated when I heard Mr. Ramis had passed on.  But I will always remember him for movies like Stripes and Caddyshack, which are also good.  Even though, Real Ghostbusters had a bigger impact on me.

it wouldn't be until 2001 when another film would have the same impact on as Ghostbusters. That film is Osmosis Jones. An underrated gem film. Beautiful animation, like able characters and a really cool Villian. Inspired me to go back to drawing and created my own to interact in that world. Oh, and Bill Murray.
Hey, I can relate. I love Ghostbusters!
Good for you! 😄
do you think you'll see the reboot?
Not really. I think they're taking advantage of Harold Raimis' death so they can put whatever they want in it without his permission. From the photos I've seen so far, the actresses look like gender swap versions of the Ghostbusters, which I fear the film is gonna be. 
I plan to see it. 
Hmmm, let's see...

- Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Spirited Away was my first actual contact with quality Japanese animation, so it was a whole new thing. I enjoyed HMC more because of certain personal preferences, so it was like reviving the first time I watched Spirited Away, but better :eyes:

- Akira :nod: Holy shit, this one is seriously great stuff. When I first watched it, I must have been, I dunno, 11, and all the action, violence, and the story itself really amazed me. The scenery and characters are delightful to look at, and as someone who wants to work in the animation field, they were engraved in my mind :heart:

- Tekkonkinkreet! I just loved everything about it, the movie and the manga as well. It became such a major influence to me. Like in Akira, everything from the dialogues to the way characters move is fantastic. The style (of both the movie and the manga, though I do prefer the Studio 4ºC style)

- Shawshank Redemption. It made me think about so many things. So many

- ... The Lion King :XD: 
I can agree with you wholeheartedly about Studio Ghibli. Actually, after reading the manga version of Nausicaa, I can honestly say I have not wanted to read any other manga, Miyazaki's manga is that much better than anything else ever published.
Ahh, the manga is fantastic, indeed :nod: