Eurovision Song Contest :D

I'm a big geek when it comes to Eurovision Song Contest, and I'm so excited for tonight's semifinale, and the finale on Saturday!
Sooo, who here watches Eurovision? Who are your favourites this year? :D

I like a lot of the songs this year; Russia, Estonia, Italy, Australia, Sweden, Belgium, NORWAY and more.. :)
Comments51
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Britains act was pretty cool. 1920s light up dresses, what's not to love? Problem is no one likes Britain and we always suck at Eurovision. We would have won the woman in Electro Velvet wet herself and caused a power shortage...
I enjoyed a lot of the acts in Eurovision this year, including many of the stagings! Estonia's staging was amazing, Warrior made the cameraman get lost (which was pretty funny) and the song about children being left behind was a really powerful message. 
Can't wait until next year :P
I was watching some of it on Iplayer. I like the France entry with the ruined city backdrop and the one with the large woman and the masked backup singers. And Austria's one is pretty badass with the guy playing the piano whilst it's on fire! 
Russian song made me laugh so hard .. oh, the irony.  I liked Belarus song this year quite a bit.  Uzari & Maimuna - Time,  initially listened Swedish song too plenty while drawing, when it 1st was announced. 
Yeah, there is a bit of irony.. :D But it was a wonderful performance, and for all we know the artist really meant what she sang (I believe so anyway), she doesn't necessarily stand for Russia's politics.
You cannot be a-political in Russia though and represent the country. So she is actually pulling PR stunts. 
Since I know that the artist has gotten a lot of sh*t in Russia for publicly supporting Conchita, and this is (in theory) a non-political song contest, I give her the benefit of the doubt, and I definitely don't think she deserved to be booed.
When she was asked in a press conference last week why she didn't write a song to support the LGBT community, she got very emotional, started crying, and said that her song "A million voices" was a song of love for everyone, no matter who they are. To me that sounds like she does support the LGBT community, but of course, she can't publicly say that because of the politics in her country.
Well, I do not know about that (her background that is), when i am truly honest. But  I recall our ESC commentator said something like she stated herself as apolitical (is this English term?)  and does not take any stand. Which is what I know being impossible if you want to represent Russia internationally.  You cannot be on bad books with gov and then be "handpicked singer for ESC" - it's not how  it works.   And of course supporting LGBT is completely different from "political stand about warfare", but for me she came out as biggest hypocrite of the show at point she stated herself as "apolitical".  You either support what your country does or you do not. And same time singing about love and peace...  ? Of course this is only show and this is why i say it just is "ironical". Likely she has firm beliefs, but she cannot quite say it out loud if she wants to just do arts as she is doing now. Russia, AFAIK is one the high ranked country that has problems with free speech.  As an artist - her voice was really nice, just  lets say timing anc content were off. 

And yes, sure we can claim ESC is non-political song contest, but same they say about Olympics and yet there are often signs of things being otherwise.  

But regardless this year had very good line up from most countries which is surprising considering how low that show was few years back. My own taste is not quite what this show represent, but I can value well made music even when its not for me :)
I know that ESC smells like politics and money, but I like to discover new songs everywhere :XD: I used to watch ESC each year since 2006. However, this year so many bad things are happening... If I haven't seen this thread, I would forget about ESC 2015.

Now I've listened to participants :la: This year I haven't discovered anything interesting. But I really like voice of Václav Noid Bárta (Czech Republic).

...And Finland, what are you doing? :giggle: Lordi and Terasbetoni are probably facepalming right now.
Haha, yeah Finland this year was... special..:)
I think Sweden is the winner, however I'm hoping for Australia, Italy or Belgium to win ^^

I love that ESC gives me the chance to discover lots of music from different countries and cultures that I would never have heard of before^^
I don't watch it....I don't find it interesting :no: and I do think it's a unfair contest with certain countries always voting for each other, it's not about who has the best song anymore.... 
I cant watch it because each year only a few songs are nice to hear and all the political stuff going on with obvious countries giving other countries votes out of popularity always makes it an unfair contest. 
It's 50/50 jury votes now though, so the political votes have been redused the last years. I think ultimately people mostly vote for the song they like the most, so it's a fair winner. However, people will always have different tastes and sometimes feel the results aren't fair^^
I love the acts of australia and belgium. My country didn't pass the semi final, too bad. Bit I wish the other country's good luck in the final !
I'll admit it, I enjoy watching the Eurovision finals mainly to see the craziest acts that have managed to get through. I still have no hopes for my country (the UK)'s entry again though - we're always at the bottom, regardless of the quality of our choice performer(s). :roll:
Haha, yeah, crazy acts are always a part of the contest! :)
To be fair though, the UK hasn't sent many good acts the last few years. You have so much good music, but not in the Eurovision! The exception being last year, and I agree she would have deserved a better place at the end - but it was quite a tough Eurovision year. She would have placed better this year I think :)
Why do you all people appreciate Conchita? I don't understand? Is it like some kind of affirmative action? You say she's so awesome JUST because she is transsexual (I hope I got the name right)?
I mean really? Why should we appreciate someone just because of his/her sexuality... I'm not against any LGBT but I'm against showing appreciation for smth else than being human. In other words, I'm for appreciating people for their deeds, or for their brains, not for their clothes/appearance/sexual identity/race etc.
She is not transsexual, I think the right word is drag (?) Although not sure.
I think you're misunderstanding. I think she is a wonderful person, just like I think a lot of the other ESC artists are as well :) However, I absolutely love the song and the performance she did, and with such a powerful and honest message people are bound to feel more of a connection. I had more favourites as well last year and did not vote for Conchita, but unfortunately they didn't win, however I can still say I love Conchita and her song as well. If another one of my favourites won last year, then I would be talking about them the same way now :)
It is not BECAUSE she is a woman with beard, it's the whole package.

But yes, in the big picture, of course her looks mattered. But not on a stand alone basis - but together with the good song and the message she wanted to share. One of the most important things that makes people want to vote for a song - I think is a sense of meaning / message - and that the audience also has to believe that the person who sings it actually has an honest connection with that message.
I see, ok then. :)
I'm watching Eurovision. Yeah, there's some crap out there, but lately I'm really surprised by the fairly decent music that's playing. This year's music was again not that great, but I have 3 favorites: 1st - Australia :D I've known Guy Sebastian for a long time and I just love his soulful music. :) Although I don't understand why Australia has been included in the list of the countries? It's European Song Contest after all. :-? Do they want to reach beyond Europe? I'm thinking that I've listened to a lot of non-European influenced music (a lot of R&B and soul stuff which obviously comes from America) maybe that's the direction that Eurovision wants to take?
2nd: Belgium nice groove and 3rd Cyprus... if only the song was a little more.. not necessarily upbeat but a little less boring. I love the song, but I like the 2nd part of it better. The beginning is a little uninteresting for a contest such as Eurovision.
I also liked Netherlands and Portugal but they didn't make it to the finals. :(
Australia is just in the contest this year, for the 60th anniversairy :) Unless they win, they're not going to be included last year (at least that's the plan). However I wish Australia welcome, especially if they're going to send as wonderful music as Guy Sebastian this year! :)
Belgium is awesome as well! I haven't really listened to Cyprus. Only that one time during the semifinale yesterday, and like you say it was a little slow, so I didn't quite catch it. Perhaps I will when I hear it for the second time :)
I think its a load of crap