Robot films - pick your favorite - Ex-Machina,Chappie.Automata.The Machine

There's been a number of robot films. Unusual trend in film making as of late. I've seen Ex-Machina and The Machine. Machina is the best but I prefer The Machine. I'd like to know what you guys think and especially about Chappie since I love director's earlier work...
Comments81
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ghost is a Shell... It asks the correct questions....
Ex Machina is a contender for best film of the year.  It blows away anything else in the robot genre done in the last few years at least.

But there's plenty of great ones, most of which have been listed already.  But Macross Plus would be the first one to come to mind.  I'll have to think about any others.
hey nice! Macross Plus was phenomenal. Somewhat of a darker sense in the intensity of the three chartcters at each other's throats! Pretty damn good writing especially with my merciless chriticism of Anime scripting.
Phenomenal art, especially at the 4th chapter, though the third one seemed like a secondary crew did the production.
But A+ addition to the Macross franchise!  :)
Yeah it was great.  Probably the most mature and sophisticated the Macross stories ever became.  I liked the visualization of Sharon Apple and the integration of music into the animation.  And of course I'm a sucker for great stories to do with flight, both planet side and space-based.  It's one of my favorite animated productions.
Good stuff
Have you been watching the Macross editions afterwards?
I bought the CG follow up to Macross Plus (definitely Macross Plus but not sure where it fits in the story hierarchy) at a comic convention and didn't care for it much and then haven't made it much of a point to continue with what came after that..
I'm a Macross fan, but I'm naturally rather critical regardless of any fandom.  I have a list of Macross films/shows I like and a list of ones I really don't :)

"Macross Plus" came out in 1994 and was immediately followed up that same year (or more accurate to say, concurrent productions) by the 49 episode series "Macross 7".  IMO, Macross Plus is phenomenal, Macross 7 is garbage.  There was then a few more Macross 7 animations produced in the 1-2 years after the series, like a short 3-episode OVA series and Macross Dynamite 7.  The less said about them all, the better.

If I'm understanding your post right, the "CG follow up" you refer to may be "Macross Zero", a 5-episode series released from 2002-2004.  It was made with heavy use of CG for the mecha sequences, trying to achieve some level of photorealism.  Sadly, I feel Macross Zero was also not a very good series and felt the CG in particular was kinda clashing with the animation.

Luckily, this post ends on a happy note because in 2008 they released a 25-episode series for the franchise's 25th Anniversary called "Macross Frontier", which is a really fun and entertaining series.  The series is notable for it's much more accomplished and animation-friendly use of CG for the mecha sequences, which were far less jarring than the photorealistic and miniature-sclae feeling of the CG in Macross Zero.  The resulting Macross Frontier series perfectly melded 2D animation together with 3D computer animation into an entertaining series worthy of the Macross name.

It just so happens a new Macross series named "Macross Delta" is in production.  Release is scheduled for 2016.
Guess what? I am now sitting next to another Macross connoisseur like yourself. He agrees, Macross 0 is shit and so is 7. I just looked at Frontier (Youtube) and definitely found it to be exceptional. Very nice
Always good to meet more Macross fans.  Especially since the explosive popularity of "Macross Frontier", there are many more of us now (although still few on this side of the pond).  I can't recommend Macross Frontier enough.  Granted, it's made for a less mature audience than Macross Plus, but taken for what it is, the series is very enjoyable.  And there are some nostalgia moments that will make old fans cheer.  The final scene of the first episode of Macross Frontier almost made me tear up with nostalgia-induced happiness :)
Armitage III Poly Matrix- My favorite Anime movie featuring a robot main character.
Metropolis (1927)- Saw this on YouTube once, it is long and old but shows what inspired many of today's robot/dystopian stories.

I have yet to see Chappie, though I did see District-9 and enjoyed the directors work.
If you ask me, you can skip Chapppie. There was no bigger fan than I for the director, believe me. But this is a steamming pile of crap! I couln't believe the director left the script in this sorry state before shooting - it's horrific.

Hugh Jackman managed to be in a robot film with a robot that had not enough self awareness (Real Steel) and another with too much personality - Chappie.   :(
My top 5 mecha/robot movies gotta be...
Ghost in the Shell
Pacific Rim
Escaflowne
I, Robot
Iron Giant
Ghost in the Shell; I completely forgot about that amazing film - a milestone in entertainment
Robocop (1987)
The Transformers: The Movie (1986, AKA the only good Transformers movie)
Ex Machina
Just watched Ex-Machina a few weeks ago and was mezmerized. Unfortunately the date I was with thought it was laughable.
Really sunk me so consequently I have not called her again - sucks
Real Steel.
Does Pacific Rim count? They were more Mechas then robots. Hell. They're robots.
And Transformers.
Funny enough I meant, as a topic, to pick one of the ones I mentioned in the title: Ex-Machina,Chappie.Automata and The Machine, but since people here decided to discuss other films, who am I to argue??
Pacific is the best movie I have ever seen in an IMAX-esque environment - freaking phenomenal; great pick there and fun ass film!

Real Steel just did not do it for me. Ironically Hugh Jackman has been in a movie with a robot with not enough self awaereness (Real Steel) and too much of self awarenes (Chappie)
 - both just did not do weel with me   :(
I did watch this but it did not reach me unfortunately - it was at a time when I wanted another studio to be as good and witty as Pixar, and no one seemed to be able to reach that level of brilliance - just my opinion!
I'll never forget The Iron Giant. So sad. :( (Sad) 
My girlfriend at the time almost got into tears when she saw the robot's sacrifice - TIG is an offensively underrated film   :(
Wait, your girlfriend at the time almost got into years? Damn, your girlfriend at the time was tough!
I'm dancing on edge here with my choices, as robots are included as major characters of both of these films, but the main focus is not on the robots themselves:

-Forbidden Planet
-The Day the Earth Stood Still (original version, please)