Star vs The Forces of Evil

I just discovered this show the other day. And since it just began airing this year, I've already caught up on all the episodes. So I thought it would be nice to open a discussion about it.

I really like it. I'm a big fan of animation, and nothing grabs my attention quicker than fluid animation. A lot of people find the medium of flash animation in television cartoons unappealing, and I can agree to an extent. Expect for when it's done right. MLP, Gumball, and now this show uses Flash to enhance their animation quality rather than use it as a crutch. Lots of snappy movement mixed with smooth subtly. Even the special effects animations are a joy to behold.

The overall theme is nothing to write home about. Princess from another dimension becomes fish-out-of-water on Earth with occasional battles against enemy forces who want her mcguffin ('twas not an innuendo, folks). But what I like is how they play against your expectations. Like how Star being a princess from a magical dimension is simply accepted by everyone rather than being kept secret. How the male lead is not just a comic foil but can hold his own in a fight. Or how the "crush character" of the male lead is an aloof skater girl rather than the tired trope of the narcissistic rich girl (are you hearing this Fairly Oddparents and Danny Phantom?)

What are your opinions about it?
Comments21
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've heard of it, but never watched it. Is it a great show?:)
I like to think so. It's still in its infancy being only 5 episodes to its name (10 if you count each half of an aired episode on its own), but its very entertaining and shows a lot of potential. You should definitely give it a watch.
Okay :D I'll check it out.
I'm a little worried that children won't like it. It's a show with a lead protagonist on a channel obviously aimed for boys. It feels like we are having better shows now than before. Now we have 
Steven Universe
Gravity Falls 
Wander Over Yonder
Over the Garden Wall (It's over now but still it existed)
MLP FIM
I'm sure there is more
It won me at "momma's having pork chops for supper"
It's fun, genre-savvy, gets some stuff past the radar.  Like Marco's parents "relaxing in a hot tub," or Star wondering aloud whether or not she might have actually killed some random mook in the middle of a fight.  It's not going to be one of the best shows of all time, but it's certainly enjoyable and adorable in a way that will still be great for a long time to come.
If you think it's impressive to have that humor fly past the radar, then you should see the raunchy humor they snuck in with Animanics back in the 90's.
I'm not a fan. I don't think it's bad or anything, but it just doesn't really come across as anything spectacular or even that interesting.
I know I like it. Eden Sher really nails the role of Star as a well-meaning but hyperactive extra-dimensional princess who's new to Earth. I also like how the male lead is so ridiculously good at beating up monsters. I've only watched the first 2 sets of episodes, though; I've been meaning to watch more.
Its a fun little show, with genre-savvy characters.
I also love how unhinged the main character is.
Two people on this thread used the term "genre-savvy" to describe the show. What does that mean?
I think cartoons are becoming better than before, although I will admit that when I first saw Star she reminded me of an older version of Mabel from Gravity Falls.
I think that's because they actually have to compete with anime now. Anime is becoming more and more mainstream in America theses days so the big 'home-grown' animation dealers are being forced to up their game and improve on their work in order to not be driven out
I have only seen the first segment of the first episode, and I snagged the third episode on Amazon Instant when it was free. Not much to say right now. But I like it so far.
It's just plain funny as well. Star has no concept of how things are supposed to work on Earth as compared to what she knows from Muni. The fish out of water comedy is hilarious.

Laser Puppies as well. Who doesn't love laser puppies?
I believe is is a great example of how far cartoons and children entertainment has come. I am so glad that the industry is now recognising that children these days are now smarter and deserve a more intelligent well put together pieces of entertainment.

10/10 
Sadly, experience dictates that only the good die young in television animation. While cheap crap like Johnny Test has been allowed to live for 6 seasons and counting. I'd be surprised if something with the polish and quality of SvtFoE (that's a horrible acronym) gets more than 2 seasons. May as well enjoy it while it lasts. Or I could be totally wrong. If MLP being the media juggernaut that it is serves as a flagship for cartoons of this caliber, we may be seeing a new Renaissance in network animation.
I like it, it's a fun show and the characters are pretty good and likable, plus the animation is nice.
When I first heard of the series, I was super stoked! A female lead is not common in cartoons and a female creator is a first for Disney XD(or at least that's what I could find from researching, please correct me if I'm wrong).
The animation scared me when I first heard it was using flash. I love MLP but when I think of flash animation, I think of Jonny Test. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised. The animation has its own style and life that makes it really appealing.