let's talk about Shinichiro Watanabe- he directed some awesome things

He directed cowboy bebop, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the slope, Space Dandy, Terror in resonance and Macross Plus
what are your thoughts of the guy and his works and what is your favorite one of his?
I've only seen TiR and Bebop and I just started Dandy btw But I think he's awesome
also there might be spoilers
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I actually got bored of Terror in Resonance but I'm a big fan of Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, and of course Cowboy Bebop which is a classic. I really love the seemingly clashing genre of the setting of the series and the music that plays in it, like hip-hop and the samurai setting of Champloo. In fact, I found out about my all time favorite musician Nujabes, through watching Champloo. Space Dandy in terms of story was meh, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. So yeah, I think he's a great director!

I had no idea he did Sakimichi no Apollon, though I have heard of it, I'm gonna check that out now haha.
well he really relies on asthetics. TiR is his weakest work but I still liked it
and space dandy is awesome so far and it's more than just a try hard cowboy bebop. heck it never was that. Dandy does what it wants
I think I've heard of him....:confused: or maybe I'm just reminded of Ken Watanabe lol

What are his works?
Cowboy bebop
Samurai Champloo
Terror in resonance
Space Dandy
Kids on the Slope
I've heard of Cowboy bebop but I have no idea what it looks like or what's it about (I avoided googling it because of the title)

Samurai Champloo....I think it's about samurai...uh well the title lol...for some reason I always picture a samurai with a afro
I didn't expect cowboy bebop to look like that
It's from the 90's so it does look a bit old.
I really like it's style
I did not mean the art style....but just the atmosphere
I mean those girls...

it seems like a adult anime
View all replies
He is ok. I think he relies on aesthetics more than anything though, take a look at Zankyou or Bebop for example.
I DID really like Kids on the Slope, but that's just because I liked the music theme.
I see
well what I like about Watanabe that I feel he has a lot of range and I feel everyone has a different reaction to what he does ^_^
I have yet to see Sakimichi but It's on my To-watch list and very high. Champloo less
Bebop is one of my alltime faves and for a good reason. But TBH It's mostly because of the experience I had with it. It took me half a year or so to finish it because I was constantly taking hiatuses from it. I still love it
I'll admit ZnT isn't his best but I still really enjoyed it. it has more than a few of my favorite scenes in anime and OMG that OST!
I just started dandy. I'm too episodes in but I can't help but smile while watching it. QT is adorable btw
Yeh, while I love Aku no Hana, its rotoscoping was awful. KotS did it right.
Champloo's animation is fantastic. One of my favorite Watanabe shows, second to KotS. Maybe just because I like samurai and warriors in general.. but still. Taste plays a big role in his shows, I agree.
IMO Trigun is better than Bebop. I still love Bebop, but it's not my favorite. Trigun had more of an impact on me.

Ah, on the subject on scenes in anime, what are your favorite scenes? Mine are Vincent opening his eyes in the beginning of Ergo Proxy and Making of Cyborg from Ghost in the Shell.
Okay
- the znt Ferris wheel scene
- when the count evily laughed in gankutsuou
- when Sato and Yamazaki made the "perfect hentai game girl)" reminded to me of me and how my ocs were
- natalia's death in F/Z
- the infamous church scene in bebop
- the final fight in trigun
- the catwalk scene is parakiss
- the final scene in fma
- the final scene in wolf children
- that infamous montage in milennium actress
- when eren was eaten by a titan and armin screamed . That scene had more of an impact on me dubbed because armin's scream really sounded like a scream of despair
Just to name a few