Any scary movies to recommend?

Hey, people. Since Halloween is coming, I got in the mood for some scary films to watch. I like to see a GOOD horror film. So do you have anything on your mind I can possibly watch? Thanks.
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
anyone wanting to get into horror movies should start by the classics...

My personal favrit is Amityville Horror and The Ring.
I'm quite a sissy when it comes to watching horror movies alone in the night, but here are a few good ones, in my opinion:

THE SHINING: A Stanley Kubrick masterpiece. About Jack Torrance and his family on an abandoned mountain hotel. 

What makes it scary: The way Jack is losing his sanity, a certain corridor scene and a certain bathroom scene and a furry(yes, you read correctly, a furry). 

JU-ON: The original and Japanese version of The Grudge. There are two Ju-On movies, like there are two The Grudge movies

What makes them scary: The atmosphere and there are certain scenes that are truly terrifying, not to be found in the American adaptations. The American versions are nothing compared to this. A certain staircase scene is a pain to watch if you're alone in the middle of the night.

RINGU 1 and 2: The Japanese versions of The Ring.

What makes them scary: Same as with Ju-On. Frightning make-up, frightning filming and scary as hell moments. Puts the American adaptations to shame. Not saying this because I'm Asian, I'm just being realistic. 

REC 1 and 2: Spanish found footage movies. The American remake is called Quarantine and I haven't seen that one, but heard that the originals are far scarier.

What makes them scary: The found footage thing makes them look incredibly real. It takes place in a tight apartment building in Madrid. It combines 28 weeks later speed with eerie religious element. The movie is a little bit grainy and the last scene in the first movie and a lot of scenes in the second one  has a character which is right up with the girls in Ju-On and Ringu, maybe even scarier. I can also mention that you will never want to peek in a ventilation attic after these movies. Remember to arm a priest with a 12 gauge shotgun.

DOG SOLDIERS: The most underrated werewolf movie in the world. Ask a wannabe werewolf fan and he/she has most likely never seen this movie.

What makes it scary? This movie is not the most scary one out there, but being a 2002- movie, it's not that old. There are no use of CGI effects in this movie and this makes the movie look so much better than any other werewolf movie ever made. The Scottish highlands will never be the same after this movie.

PET SEMETARY: A Stephen King novel turned into a movie...a really good and scary movie.

What makes it scary: The fact that re-animation concept is taken to new heights and  a guy called Victor Pascow. The shot in the  last scene is terrifying, although only being two seconds long. Remember to wrap your achilles tendon before watching this one. 

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: Another found footage movie. People either like this one or hate it. 

What makes it scary: The movie takes place in the woods in search for truth about the Blair Witch. College students unaware of what danger lies ahead. The movie itself isn't very scary until the last 10 seconds of the movie. Holy s***. 

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: Watch the first and old one, the new remake is so unbelievably bad that even Robert Englund would have called for a nailgun. 

What makes it scary: This movie is incredibly good and a masterpiece in my opinion. The movie is mixed when it comes to scares, but the whole film combines humor, disgust, scares and gore. Fun movie.

One, two, Freddy's coming for you, Three, Four, better lock your door, Five, Six, grab you crucifix..... Nine, Ten, never sleep again. 

VILLMARK(roughly translates to "The wild outdoors"): A Norwegian horror movie. Although this movie completely unknown to most foreigners outside Scandinavia, don't let that shove you away.

What makes it scary: The fact that it takes place in a dark forest in the middle of the night and someone is watching you, someone really twisted.

THE EXORCIST: Lucifer's darling child is a little girl called Regan

What makes it scary: It's a movie from 1973 and it is in my opinion far ahead of its time in terms of effects. It's kinda like Elm Street, has humor and a lot of disgusting scares. If you watch the Director's Cut, it features a certain staircase scene that will haunt your iris forever. 

That sums of some movies that I find very good. Are they all scary? Scary is relative, one man's scare is another man's facepalm. Have a fun Halloween!
Wolf Creek (2005)  Creepy:  Biased on actual events. 

The Others (2001) Well done Paranormal type film

The Descent (2005)
The Descent: Part 2 (2009)   Good Creatures film. 

An American Werewolf in London (1981)  For 1981 some of the best special effects. Pay attention to the transformation scene (face and hands). Not a digital. Done a single take. 

The Thing (1982)  Again for 1980's great monsters and effects. 

The Thing (I) (2011) This was done as a prequel to the 1982 The Thing Movie. Excellent job staying true to John Carpenters original story. 

Darkness Falls (2003) Who's afraid of the dark?

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) Are Tooth-fairy's really all that nice?, Watch and find out.  

Red Riding Hood (2011) One of the best re-telling s of the Little Red Riding Hood I have seen in years. 

The Company of Wolves(1984) Excellent re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood.
I think 'Sinister' is a really, really good horror movie.
American Psycho
Insidious 1 + 2
Frightnight is really good!
Jaws
Alien
Aliens
it came from mars

:3 
I would never watch something Horrific by myself, I always need someone there, lol
I recommend Paranormal Activity, knowing that demon shit is real :scared: 
Trick r Treat is a pretty fun horror movie, especially for Halloween. 
I second this. I wish more people knew about it.
Agreed. :nod:
The movie was actually supposed to have a major theatrical release, but for some reason that changed and was released straight to dvd. It should have gone to theaters because I'm sure it would have been successful and more people would know about it, but unfortunately that didn't happen.  
I third this! its classic!
Nightmare on elm st Is pretty freaky
Yeah, I've always been seeing people talking about that. I might try it out. :)
But there is one really unnerving bit :P

yuk
'Diary Of A Madman," staring Vincent Price and the voice of Joseph Ruskin. 

Title Card: "... the vulture has eaten the pigeon; the wolf has eaten the lamb; the lion has devoured the sharp-tongued buffalo; man has killed the lion with an arrow, with spear, with gun-powder; but the *"Horla"* will make of man what man has made of the horse and of the ox; His chattel, His slave, and His food, but the mere power of His will. Woe to us!"... Guy de Maupassant.

This oft overlooked film was done with the same quality of the many Roger Corman films of Edgar Allen Poe's work's.  This was Price at his best.

Atom unamused
Phantasm and its sequel. It's got a little of everything! Gore, horror, suspense, action, romance, mystery... And it's certainly got an ending you wouldn't expect!
Aliens
The Thing (original)
Oh cool! I actually watched Alien 3.
No, don't! DON'T!!!! Not Alien 3!

It's a bad, bad movie.
Too late, I already watched it once. It was meh.
Dawn of the Dead (original and the remake are both good in my opinion)
Splinter (a low-budget pearl)
30 days of night
Stakeland (tired of zombies? this is a vampire apocalypse, monster vampires, not sparkling ones)
Husk (another low-budget pearl)
The Skeleton key is a nice movie as well if you like that sort of thing ( I do!)
I'll take a look at Stakeland! Since I don't find zombies or SPARKLING vampires all that fun.
Haha cool ;p I hope you will enjoy it, I sure did!
:icontrollfaceplz: Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive (Directed by King himself)

...Or Paranormal Activity (AKA: Jump scare city)
1981's Dead and Buried