What Are Your Views On The Current Cartoon Network?

Hey there,

Hope everyone is doing just fine :).

This question isn't made to bash Cartoon Network or any of the programs in any way, but I am just curious as to what people currently think about the programming on CN. Are you happy with the current programming? Do you think that Cartoon Network could do better in terms of their content? How so? What kinds of things would you like to see on Cartoon Network?  What do you think they could do better?

Perhaps I am stuck in the past, but I really enjoyed the content Cartoon Network supplied in the 90s to mid-2000s. I thought that the content on Cartoon Network was pretty diverse back then. They had a good mixture of comedy based shows, action shows and I felt like they had a pretty clear target audience back then. 

Not only that, their programming blocks really made all the difference. If memory serves, they used to have Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, which featured live performances, hosts (Tommy and Zynga), and cartoons mingling with the hosts. Also, during Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, new episodes of our favorite cartoons used to come on. They used to also have JBVO, where Johnny Bravo was the host and he would take calls from viewers to determine what show and epsiode they wanted to watch during the block. Also, Toonami back then used to come on at 4-6 PM (might be a bit off), and they used to feature anime shows, action shows, and superhero related stuff during their action block. They also created Miguzi, which was similar to Toonami.

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AH6QW…

JBVO: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6B9er…

Toonami: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshuv_…

Miguzi: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjf38…

From these clips and the old lineups, you can see that Cartoon Network did pretty solid with its content. I especially liked the fact that they had more action/drama cartoons that also had storylines to them, and that the station as a whole seemed more alive. That’s what I liked about CN back then. 

Looking at CN these days, I feel like it is totally different from what it used to be. Every time an action show appears on CN now, it is cancelled or thrown in on the really late nights (such as Beware the Batman), unable to get a proper audience, thus lowering ratings for said show.

Programming blocks seem non-existent, there really doesn’t seem to be a designated day for new episodes of cartoons (when I watch CN sometimes, I see that new episodes sometimes come on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday), and it seems like their target audience has really changed and everything is much more comedy-based. They are even turning action series into comedy series... or making them less serious (Teen Titans Go & Ben 10)

Programming blocks seem non-existent, there really doesn’t seem to be a designated day for new episodes of cartoons (when I watch CN sometimes, I see that new episodes sometimes come on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday), and it seems like their target audience has really changed and everything is much more comedy-based.

I would like to see Cartoon Network bring back programming blocks, bring back quality action shows, and have a more diverse lineup of cartoons like they used to back in the day.

I also think it would be a cool idea if they utilized the internet in order to get their fans more involved in the show. I’ve been watching reality TV lately (don’t ask), and during the run of the show I see little polls pop up and the fans get to go online and cast votes, which always appear live while the show is running. I think that would be a neat idea to do that for the cartoons as well.

Are you happy with the current programming? Do you think these stations could do better in terms of their content? How so? What kinds of things would you like to see on these stations? What are you thoughts?

Comments141
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
most of the anime/ cartoons are a disgrace
i.imgur.com/pHZqN.jpg this is pretty much what i think about cn now... the cartoons are absolutly retarded, no offence to the markers but really do you want your kids to be growing up to things like this ?!
Cartoon Network from 2000 to about 2008 was unwatchable. Other than Adult Swim and Toonami, I would never watch anything on Regular Cartoon Network. Even when I watched Adult Swim it was only because of the Anime that they showed. 

Now, the shows on Cartoon network are not just good but brilliant. Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Regular Show among others are really good. :nod: Im not saying they will be better than what was shown in the 1990s, but it is getting better. And I like how Adult Swim brought back Toonami and has some great anime to go with it. *Along with some American shows like Beware the Batman and Star Wars Clone Wars* 
I don't watch CN at all anymore. They are completely childish now. I used to watch CN back in the 90s till the 2000s until toonami got done and moved to Adult Swim. Now i watch toonami on AS and thats pretty much it. Boomerang was good or maybe still is since they show or showed all the classics on CN during the 70s,80s,90s. But now CN is garbage with kiddish and animated bull shit.
Cartoon Network is just boring now. Going by their schedule, it seems like they just toss around 5 to 6 shows (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Clarence, Teen Titans Go, and occasionally Steven Universe and/or Uncle Grandpa), not counting their morning stuff like Pokemon and Tenkai Knights. It's just so boring now. Also, I'm not really a huge fan of most of these shows (Some are alright, while others are downright terrible)

In addition to more shows, what Cartoon Network needs is VARIETY. More action shows to go with their usual comedy stuff, and maybe they should bring back the Cartoon Planet block to show the CN classics on. Since they're not bringing back Toonami, they could have a similar block for anime/action oriented programming. I'd watch that, especially if they were experimental in their anime choices like Toonami was.
Cartoon Network is a fucking disgrace now!!!
Uncle Grandpa is dumb as shit. Also, it sounds like everyone who works at CN is mentally ill.
They have gone bad. They took off the good action shows like Ben 10 & Generator Rex. They got rid of the anime they used to play as well not counting Toonami which sucks we've to wait until the middle of Saturday night to watch. The keep putting on horrible comedy shows & haven't been balancing the things they put on air. I liked the Old Cartoon Network better.
Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and Clarence are the only things sustaining Cartoon Network, I mean look at what they show throughout the day pretty much you see Gumball, adventure time, and whatever movie they feel like showing. The other shows are just there so that they have more than two shows.
Where the fuck is Steven Universe on that list? That is also a great show!
Crap! I forgot it! It is defiantly an amazing show, they need to play it more!
They'll never be as classic as they were back in the lates 90s and early 200s. But there was a time where they were shittier.

Right after Fried Dynamite started, then the live action shows came, by that time all the orignals had been dead and only few exited through re-runs.

However, now that some new shows like Adventure time and Regular show (Which niether are amazing, but I respect them for what they are) are out. Plus, I hear some show called, "uncle grandpa" is good.

As of now, the channel isn't great. But there was a time when cartoon network was shittier than it is now
I'm 24 so I should not be writing on this but I have to say I agree with you on every point. Back then, I saw shows like Dexters laboratory, cow & chicken, Johnny Bravo, Power Puff Girls, and other wacky cartoons. Then with the adding of Toonami, I got too see my first taste of animation features like thunderous, batman and superman, and sailor moon. Then the network brought in western adaptations of popular anime like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Yu-Hochsho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Mobile Suite Gundam: Wing/G/Seed, and zoids:C.C/G.F./N.C.Z. Then their was Miguzi it was lot like Giovanni but it showed animation mixed with C.G.I. Needless too say Cartoon Network was my number #1 show. But then things began to happen to the show and a lot of the stuff that made it great was taken off and replaced with other stuff that was okay, but not watched in the long run. I have stopped watching the network almost altogether. But I still drop in every know and then and enjoy the shows that remind me of a time were it was all awesome. :)   
Hate their logo for one thing. The original checkerboard logo looked a lot better.
The original teen titans aired on boomerang until last June.  It got pulled along with johnny bravo, PPG, Dexters Lab and some other shows.  Ever since then I dropped that channel as well.  

BTW what do you all think of nick and disney? 
Its no longer CARTOON Network. It hasn't been for years.
How can you call it CARTOON Network, when there is a bunch of live action stuff on it?
The only live action stuff on CN now is the occasional movie and that Hall of Game they do every February. All their programming is animated, and it doesn't seem like that's going to change in the future. 
Still their decision to cancel all their good dramatic cartoons like Young Justice, and Beware the Batman, was enough to sour the milk permanently for me.
I can agree with you there. The network needs more action stuff.
they dont do that as much now
Uh... There are no live action shows on Cartoon Network anymore...
I actually haven't watched Cartoon Network again in a year and still haven't now. I quite watching it after they canceled Green Lantern The Animated Series and Young Justice. I loved them shows. I used to watch Naruto when it was on it and Transformers Animated. Now the only thing that may get me to watch it is this upcoming Sonic Boom show and that's all. The other shows doesn't really interest me. I also worry that if Sonic Boom is really good it'll get canceled due to the fact it's not like (For give me any fans, I respect that you like these shows. Though I do not so) Adventure Time, Though I can't lie that show's not to bad, just isn't my type. or Flapjack or Chowder or Almost Necked Animals or I can go on down the list. Cartoon Network has changed allot over time. 
I way prefer the old programs they featured. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, Toonami, Miguzi, all of it. I could always find SOMETHING fun to watch. Some action, some comedy, some sci-fi, it was just fine.

Now, the predominant shows on there are just really badly illustrated, or not interesting or not fun. It might just be my nostalgia for the old days, but I much prefer Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Xiaolin Showdown, Johnny Test, Teen Titans, Static Shock, etc.

Not that they were the best things ever, but at least they were some fun. I can't really say I have anything at all, on their current programming that catches my interest as I surf past that channel on the guide (let alone entertains me if I turn to the channel to watch).
I remember that I stopped getting cable around the 2009-2010 mark. From then on, I didn't have Cartoon network until 2014 this year. However, I did watch Regular Show on youtube and internet after a friend told me about it. I really liked it enough to keep tuned into watching episodes. I also remember hearing about the Adventure Time craze. I gave it a watch and initially thought it was the most annoying show I've seen in awhile. However, I did come around to the show when the main character Finn matured a bit in personality and voice. I can watch the more newer episodes as opposed to the older ones where Finn was VERY obnoxious.

Anyway, onto Cartoon network itself.  The problem i've noticed with the network is that they show the SAME shows all the time. I mean, they play nonstop Adventure Time and Regular Show so much. I find myself watching the same episode over and over again in 2 weeks tops. It's very bad. I mean, sure they play other shows like Steven Universe and that terrible Uncle Grandpa but you can't deny that they overplay Adventure Time and Regular Show an awful lot I mean, at least during 2007-2008 era, they rotated the cartoons during the week. I'm just really annoyed that they lack rotation. The reason why I believe the earlier days of Cartoon Network were better was because they did proper rotation of shows. You didn't have to worry about seeing the same episode in a few days tops like you do now. This is why they should have never gotten rid of Toonami. Heck, even Miguzi. They don't even play action cartoons anymore other than that overdone Ben 10. I feel that the action block is what gave the network balance but unfortunately, they don't play an action block anymore.

:bulletblack:The shows themselves: Honestly, the only newer cartoon I wholeheartedly like is Regular Show as it reminds me of old school cartoons in humor. Adventure Time is okay but I'm not totally head over heels  on it. Plus, they overplay it so much. Clarence, I actually really like. It has that down to earth, slice of life style similar to Ed, Edd, n Eddy and Hey Arnold, the only difference being you see the parents a lot more. I find Clarence to be a really good show and it's funny because I didn't think it was going to be good initially.

Steven Universe... It's okay. I mean, Steven is an annoying character but the guardians make up for him. It can be pretty witty at times. Uncle Grandpa is completely horrid. You must be on drugs to find this show hilarious. I'm sorry, I'm just not a big fan of this show at all and am glad they don't play it a lot. The Amazing World of Gumball. I'm not head over heels either. I get a chuckle every now and then but the art style is too uneven for my taste and the title characters are beyond annoying but this is because I am generally not a big fan of mindless idiot-type characters. The mom and daughter make up for them sometimes though. Teen Titans Go... I REALLY dislike this show a lot. I loved the original series but this one... I can't stand at all.

The only newer cartoons I actually liked past 2009 was Thundercats 2011, Young Justice, Regular Show, & Clarence. But as we all know, CN seems to have a habit of cancelling really good cartoons. Thundercats had SO much potential. So did Young Justice. And hell, even Megas XLR. I feel that CN makes stupid mistakes getting rid of actual decent cartoons for crappier ones. It could be for budget reasons but CN is the only popular cartoon network on cable so I'm sure they make enough revenue.

I'm just not a big fan of modern cartoon network. Save for a small few, their cartoons could be better as they have nothing on the older series' and i'm not saying this because of pure Nostalgia. The cartoons weren't afraid to take risks. And the lineups seemed more balanced with the help of the action block.  I don't believe you have to make a, for lack of better word, cartoon with stupid minded characters like Uncle Grandpa or Amazing world of Gumball to be a good cartoon for kids. Kids aren't stupid and I'm sure most can appreciate a more mature-like cartoon. Ed Edd n Eddy, Codename Kids Next Door, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, and so many others were good examples of cartoons that weren't stupid in nature yet were still enjoyable for kids.

And yeah, I just hate how they cut out action/superhero shows completely. I'm sorry, this is so long. It's just such a big topic for me since I do plan on getting into the animation industry for a career. I'll have to make a video explaining this. xD