MLP vs. Your Childhood

I think MLP is the best modern cartoon. But how does it compare to the ones I've grown up with. The answer is simple
EVERTHING I GREW UP WITH IS AUTOMATICALLY BETTER CAUSE I SAY SO!!!
but let's humor MLP and compare anyway.... even though there's no comparison

Cartoons in the late 90s and early 2000's are better than everthing else.

How does MLP compare to the shows you grew up with?

MLP vs. Scooby Doo
MLP might be better in every possible category. But the charm of scooby doo wins.. I'm sorry. It's not fair, but this show is better regardless of not being as good in terms of quality. Scooby Doo never get's old

MLP vs. PPG
You know a while ago I would have hands down said PPG was better, but I'm not sure. My opinion of the show has grown since season 4. I think right now they're on about the same level. They're pretty different so it's not easy to compare. But PPG still has more creative scenerios... but then again. We've seen all of that, MLP isn't a done show yet. Still PPG has more to off. But MLP has a since of grandness that surpasses it. I'm not sure how I feel about that? I WANT MY SHOWS TO BE BETTER!!!

MLP vs. Batman the animated series
Um... no question... batman.... If my childhood self knew I was comparing the two, he'd hit myself in the balls... or his self.. But MLP can suck it. This show was just too awesome

MLP vs. Teen Titans
This is another apples and oranges comparison. I guess objectively Teen Titans is better, but it's a bad comparison.

MLP vs. Fosters
Okay... fine... MLP is better than this show, even though I grew up with it.

MLP vs. Time Squad

No fair... if time squad lasted longer it'd be better...

MLP vs. Ed Edd n Eddy
Alright... my favorite nostalgic show vs. my favorite modern show...
I can't choose!!!
Ed Edd n Eddy was funnier and more nostalgic, but MLP has better writing. MLP has more developed characters, but Ed Edd n Eddy has more memorable and funny characters...
DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!!

MLP vs. Totally Spies
I hated that show growing up, why did I watch it then... hmmm...

MLP vs. Courage the Cowardly Dog
Again, this is another one like PPG. Courage is better, but it has more to offer since it's complete. MLP still has more to show that hasn't been seen yet. I can see the show surpassing it one day

MLP vs. Johnny Bravo
I wanna say Johnny Bravo, but I know in my heart that's not the truth.... CURSE YOU MLP!!! HOW DARE YOU OUTDO MY CHILDHOOD!!!

MLP vs. Samurai Jack
Ha!!!! No comparison. Samurai Jack...

MLP vs. Dexters Lab
Dexters Lab is better, in terms of writing. But MLP is bigger and more grand. I still gotta go with the classic

MLP vs. Billy and Mandy
Well without a doubt, Billy and Mandy is funnier. But I think the writing in characters of MLP are a whole nother thing. Still, I actually think MLP might win here. It can be taken more seriously, as well as being fun. I'm sorry childhood

MLP vs. Kids Next Door
Fine... MLP is a little better. BUT NOT BY MUCH
Comments51
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
i can think of a thousand cartoons that are superior to mlp in every single way.
MLP > Everything else, honestly.
If that was true, I would've been on the greatest cartoon block of all time...

Cartoon Fridays....

As much as I love MLP, compared to the stuff that was on Cartoon Network back in it's prime, MLP doesn't hold a candle
All I can feel after reading this is pity for anyone whose childhood took place after the mid 90's.
I began wathcing cartoons proably around 98 or 99. I watched the original fridays block that aired on CN from 1999 to 2003.

I remember the very day grim and evil aired for the first time. And I was there when all the original cartoon cartoons ended.

The late 90s were a very experimental time as I remembered. I remember seeing "What A Cartoon" many times and as a result saw the pilots many of the vest cartoons were based on. I guess that means I saw the shows before they were shows.

People also forget that before Adult Swim, Cartoon Network got really experimental at night. Re-runs of GI Joe and Thundercats. There were shows from other networks like WB shows such as animaniacs and freekzaoid. And every fucking morning.... CAPTAIN PLANET... shit came on at like 5 am

That's why it lasted, there was nothing else on during the time slot.

Yep, I consider myself lucky. I was a kid right during the golden age of the channel and saw all the ups and downs.
...I guess I'd prefer MLP over most of the modern cartoons.

But comparing to the cartoons of my childhood I'd put MLP behind all of them. Nothing to do with animation quality, I just can't bring myself to care at all for ponies. While almost all of the other cartoons are targeted at all audiences and/or tend to carry some pretty dark themes, MLP is more blatantly targeted at little girls and that's just not and never was my 'thing'. The original MLP or the current one. I found Care Bears more entertaining than ponies.
"While almost all of the other cartoons are targeted at all audiences and/or tend to carry some pretty dark themes"

For one... if you saw the orignal 1980s first one, it's actually surprisingly dark. And the season 4 finale of MLP got unexpectedly epic
I find My Little Pony to be overrated. I don't hate it because I haven't seen much of it, but I didn't like what I saw at all.
I just want to stop dealing with My Little Pony altogether. If you don't like MLP, I get it. We all do. The same goes for if you do like it. We get it. Don't obsess over it negatively or positively. Too much of anything is a bad thing.
All of the cartoons you mentioned > MLP

Also, the best modern cartoon is Adventure Time, which shits all over My Little Pony.
I don't know, even I'll admit some of what I grew up with wasn't that good.

Plus, adventure time is alright
People hating on MLP make me sad. Here you've got a nice show with charm and wit which gives a nice message to the next generation and people can't accept it exists. Why?
The messages in the show are for 9 year old girls. Anyone that was over the age of 14, especially grown men, that somehow "learned" about things they should have learned back in elementary school have problems.

As for your later response. People have various reasons to hate it, & it hardly has anything to do with the show anymore. It's the fact that the fandom continues to shove their atrocious fandom into every other fandom out there. There's more to it, but frankly if I said more I'd be typing way too much.
...Except most bronies do not watch FiM for it's messages nor morals. Yes, they may compliment the moral but that does not mean it's new to their ideology.

Most bronies watch for show for its animation, plot, character development, and else.
What character development? The characters, save for Spike, are all basic archetypes (the bookworm, the shy one, the country girl, the annoying one, the sporty one, & the fashion whore), not development.
There's nothing wrong with being reminded of what is really important in life. I just find it sad a show with a very decent message for youngsters is being demonized when there are lots of trashy shows out there which make me question the society we live in.
Again, the fact that grown men have to be reminded about something they should have learned in elementary is a sign that they have problems.

It's not anyone's fault that the fandom brought it upon itself & the show to be demonized. Frankly it doesn't even have anything to do with the show anymore.
Not getting your first point at all. So basically any piece of fiction with a moral you enjoy shows you've got problems. Hmm. Uhuh. Yeah right.
Obviously you didn't get it. Good day.
mlp isn't for everyone. people are allowed to have their own opinions.
Pretty lame come back. I just wonder at the hate for it. Why not hate things with horrible messages like these awful shows about being some vacuous airhead that are on the Disney channel? We need more shows that aren't nasty as hell, not less.
everyone has different tastes, dude. mlp is always going to have people who dislike it. it's the same for every single other show out there.

i do agree with you that it's a good cartoon, and is definitely what the next generation needs--but that doesn't mean that everyone is automatically obligated to like it. it's all a matter of preference. for some it just isn't their thing; not everyone likes magical pastelly colorful ponies singing songs about friendship. (although it IS true that some people take their hatred of the show a LITTLE bit overboard.)
Beast Wars > MLP
Transformers: Animated > MLP
I loved transformers: animated!