Sony is developing a live action Sonic The Hedgehog movie.

www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/s…

Transformers had it. Dragonball Z had it. Ninja Turtles are going to have it. Now it's the blue hedgehog's turn.
Comments61
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I know exactly what it's going to be: 

"SONIC X: THE MOVIE," with all of Doctor Eggman's robots looking like Transformers and Sonic being really good at parkour. Starring Megan Fox as Amy Rose, with a cameo appearance of Justin Beiber. 
i imagine this will be as terrible as the Dragonball movie
It's going to suck.
Wait, what do you mean ninja turtles is going to have it?

theres already been 3 live action movies, all of which ive seen in theaters!
I would rather have a CGI animated movie made by Disney involving Sonic, because Disney can do what Sony can't.
Transformers looks better in live-action IMO, Dragonball Evolution is shit (watched it), TMNT did it 4 times (The 90s TMNT trilogy and the Michael Bay one), and the Hedgehog which inspired the making of 4581970874 pieces of shit [estimate] (and the reason why people hate this site)... well, shit
That sounds terrifying. I nearly wet myself with fear at the sight of the new TMNT movie, but... Sonic... ogawsh.
How about Sonic 06 the movie? Because why not? Right? AMIRIGHT
I might as well dig my childhood a bigger grave so that way Sonic can fit next to Transformers and TMNT and the Power Rangers.

Unless it somehow ends up being fantastic. Which would bring me tears of joy.
Ten bucks says it will be based in New York because everytime a cartoon character enters the real world, it's always fucking New York!

To be honest I think the movie might have had a chance if it was all CG animated, which has become the standard for animated movies these days. But mixing it with live action just seems cheap to me, especially if what TheRandom500 said holds true in that the animated character will probably get as little screen time as possible to save the developers money. Sonic will appear at 15-minute intervals for 1 minute each, just frequent enough to stop the kids in the audience from getting bored because they surprisingly aren't interested in hearing the life's story of a washed up Hollywood actor playing some random Joe trying to make it in the big city (guess which city).

Still, there might be some room for it to be cool if they followed a story path like that of Sonic Adventure 2, which could actually make use of live action/real world scenes seeing how the world in that game was heavily modelled off the real world as it is. But I don't have my hopes held too high :p
Haha I just totally laughed at your guess on what the movie will be about because I can so see it happening. xD

I think that they should have just went CGI for a Sonic movie like Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper are doing. Live action hardly ever works and they can bomb pretty badly. Remember the live action Dragon Ball? lol

I feel that for video game movies, go the CGI route. You can hardly fail there. :)
I would definitely see a Sonic movie if it was all CG animated. Contrary to how many people in my generation hate CG - I'm the opposite. When done well it can look visually amazing. Pixar are the kings of CG animated "cartoon" style. Dreamworks are pretty decent too. Sony has a smaller library of CG animated cartoon films but even some of those were a visual treat (Surf's Up is actually one of my favourite animated movies and that was done by Sony). If this Sonic movie was all CG, then even if its story sucked it could have at least rested on its visual appeal as its one saving grace (since even I think the pre-rendered cutscenes from modern Sonic games look really cool, perhaps the most interesting parts of the whole game). A movie like that would have a chance, but live action? It's pretty much doomed itself to being "Garfield - A Tale of two Kitties" at best :(
*plays horror music as you mention Garfield - A Tale of two kitties* lol

Eh well... I do like CGI films to a certain degree. But I do miss the traditionally drawn ones that we got from Disney, 20th Century Fox, and Don Bluth. Those films were magical to me but I understand times have changed. I just wish we could still get at least one or two traditionally animated movies every now and then. Heck, I would have loved to see a 2D Sonic movie again like the one that came out in the 90s. But yeah, a Sonic CGI movie should have been the route they went. I doubt this live action one is going to do that well.
As long asMichael Bay doesn't direct it.
This is gonna be good. :icondgbgplz:
The reactions of the fanbase? Most certainly.
I'm also talking about the quality of the movie, but the reactions of the fanbase also is going to be pretty funny, lol.
They better not screw it up like they did with most live-action adaptations of cartoons and comic strips.
Guess what? They will.
The two live action Ninja Turtle movies were the best, 3rd was bad but had some moments...now today, Hollywood fucks it up.
Either Sonic will be made by aliens, or he goes to earth but has only 10 percent of screen time in the movie and most of it is focused on a annoying celebrity.
Just like in the 90's film Flubber. The "blob" of green gelatinous goo that we all fell in love with dancing around on the commercials really was just a clip of a 2-minute segment that was virtually the only appearance of the thing in the whole movie. I wasn't a very critical kid but even that disappointed the hell out of me :(
And that scene was a bigged lipped alligator moment but hey i will admit looked pretty good. But yeah a live action Sonic movie is not going to be a good idea. Because i know that they will get a random celebrity so that they can sell the film. That and the people need to know the source material inside out cause otherwise it wil be terrible.