Ghostbusters II Fans

Any others here who like the second Ghostbusters movie and consider it underrated? The original is (rightfully) a beloved classic but I always felt the second film was extremely entertaining but everybody is always hating on it. I think it's a shame it doesn't enjoy the same reception as the first. I can understand thinking the original is better but I think the second one is great in it's own right, too. The main cast was back and still had the same great chemistry, it had the same winning balance of scares and humor like the first and it's full of many memorable scenes and quotes just like the original. Both movies to me are endlessly rewatchable.

Can't believe both are now 30 and 25 respectively, how time flies.
Comments37
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Is it weird that I prefer the second to the first ?

I loved the second movie.
News is out that GB3 will be a reboot with an all-female cast. IMO it's best to let this series die with dignity instead of ruining it.
I did enjoy the second film, but it always makes me a bit sad that Egon and Janine weren't a couple. I love them, lol
A lot of fans often criticize that aspect of the movie, although it never really bothered me that much.
How time flies indeed. I never knew that Ghostbusters II wasn't as liked as the first one until I got on the internet. However I do like both movies as they are both good. I like the first one a bit more than the second, but you can't ignore characters like Vigo and the Scoleri Bros. In fact, I'm surprised there's not that much stuff on Vigo and the Scoleri Bros. out there. 
Vigo and the Scoleri Brothers were great additions. I even reckon Vigo is an overall better villain than Gozer, despite being underused.

The one thing I'd change in GB2 is improve the finale. Vigo is definitely defeated too quickly and easily, I'd have it be more dynamic. Something like the slime river bursting inside the museum and creatures coming out of it to assist Vigo, and more of Vigo's powers being used before the positive vibes weaken him but not without a serious fight to the crew.
I do kind of think that Vigo was a scarier villain than Gozer. I suppose Gozer was kind of scary looking, but she also looked like a fashion model and the big climax of the first movie had her take on the form of a happy, cartoony looking marshmallow man (which just isn't scary at all).
Yeah, Vigo really is a powerful villain. Despite Gozer turning into something, Vigo is pretty impressive for being a magician. Overall, he could be very well one of the most deadliest people (former) person alive on the planet earth if you think about it. No wonder he was hated by all- plus I could imagine the work taken to kill him on the spot. 
Not to mention that the Scoleri Brothers were also murderers in themselves, so you had a lot more dangerous people/ghosts in this one. 
I like how in GB2 the ghosts were more rooted in reality. Vigo being a tyrant, the Scoleri Brothers being murderers who got the electric chair, the Titanic, etc. it kinda gave GB2 an edge.
Well, I do like it. Not as much as the first film, but I do like. I think Vigo was a bigger villain than Gozer. The only thing I hated about the movie Janine paired with Louis...Ruined one of my favorite couples...

It may not be as good as the first film, but it had its moments. 
I can understand fans not liking Louis and Janine being an item, but it never really bothered me.

Speaking of Louis, I always liked that he had a bigger role in this and became more part of the team. That was a good way to keep him relevant and have him around.
And that's why he has his own action figure in the Real Ghostbusters line.
I still have a couple of those :D
Cool! I only have those "Retro Action" figures from Mattel. The original figures are very, very,VERY expensive these days.
Unfortunately. You'll have to see your kidneys to afford just a few of them :/
Or sell your entire video game collection.
One complaint about the second Ghostbusters I don't agree with either is that it's more kid-friendly than the first, and usually because the Ghostbusters seldom smoke or swear in it (they didn't exactly do it a lot either in the first one). The overall tone just feels darker to me for some reason and it has scary scenes like the heads on the stakes, the slime in the bathtub, Ghost Janosz, many of Vigo's scenes, etc. feels more like a Horror movie than the first one did at times.

Speaking of Janosz, he's awesome and easily one of my favorite characters in either movie. He has some of the funniest moments in both of them, I think.
I saw this movie first as a rental around 1990, which was quickly followed by the cartoon series "The Real Ghostbusters" when it began airing on TV shortly afterwards (in my country that is). Those two made Ghostbusters a really big thing in my childhood, though ironically I only saw the first film many years later after my excitement had already long since passed.

Anyway, I still like the second film quite well. I do think it's not as good as the first - the copy-paste structure of the plot, Vigo is a really poor final boss ("I'm being defeated by a happy song!"), the Statue of Liberty thing is a bit far-fetched even for these movies - but the chemistry between the actors is again very good, there's some really nice moments in it (the train tunnel and river of slime dip, the courthouse scene, and such), and the comedy is really good. So, while it's not a masterpiece in sequels, it is still very entertaining and doesn't feel all too much of a "bad" movie like many sequels do. It's a good continuation that retains much of the original's spirit (no pun intended) and I like it.
If there's one complaint I have about GB2 is that Vigo definitely is defeated far too quickly and easily. Feels like a villain who's full potential we never saw.
Its major problem is that it's a point by point plot clone of the first one. Aside from that, I can sit down and enjoy it just as much as the first one.
That's probably the main complaint I see it getting, that it's too much like the original. While I can see the obvious similarities, there's still enough different material in it that it feels like it's own movie and it brings a lot of cool new things to the series like the mood slime, which I thought was something very creative.
I liked it. It was certainly scarier than the original Ghostbusters in my opinion.
Yeah, I never got the criticism that it's more kid-friendly than the first, it's actually arguably darker and scarier in a lot of ways. Some parts terrified me as a kid.