the problem with despicable me II

Is it's like having a sequel to the Grinch, with all of the humor based off of the dog. It just isn't the same.
Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The film focused too much on the Minions than the main characters. Also the Villian was too predictable. In hind sight, the could have made him the Red Herring  instead of the actual Villian. We don't even get to see the girls that much. Just more minions. 

I like the Minions but you can't focus them and make the main characters pointless. It's Cars 2 all over again. Unless they make a third film, I'm through with this studio's works.
This sense of frustration appears to be the main response.
Sorry. But that's how. I feel.
You don't have to apologize, we all feel it.
They added a cliche romance to it and it became all about the romance and the minions. :shrug:
Whaaaaat? I thought it was better than the first one! I'm easily amused I guess :p

I thought that Despicable me 2 was a pretty good movie with one real flaw.  That flaw is that the
movie hurts itself by using the traditional one hour and thirty minute handicap that most animated
movies put upon themselves. 

How this problem effected Despicable me 2 in a negative way was that the movie decided to pace
itself, slowly building up the relationship between Gru and Lucy while also slowly hinting at what
the villain was up to, and then it realized it had to speed up the ending to stay within the hour
and a half limit. 

So once Gru discovered that El Macho was indeed still alive, it was time to speed up the movie to
keep within the allotted time, making the last act of the movie the least enjoyable.  There was so
much missed opportunity in this ending.  They really needed to pace themselves in order to properly
utilize  elements like El Macho’s son (who was zapped by the freeze ray and then never seen again)
who could have been the evil mastermind behind the whole thing (proving Gru right), Dr. Nefario who
betrayed Gru by helping El Macho and how he needed a little bit of a chance at redemption (But they
threw away that opportunity far too quickly by having Dr. Nefario instantly turn good again the moment
Gru found out about El Macho’s plan), and at least give the purple mutant minions more screen time
(in fact, the regular minions needed more screen time too).    

If I took time to think about this more, I’m sure I would think of more things I thought they missed out
on, but honestly, if they had paced the ending better, I probably would think that Despicable me 2 was
a perfect sequel for the franchise.

I think the problem was the plot in general, not its pace.
They really missed on what could have been an interesting plot. Instead of making Gru's idol the villain, they should have played it like this...

When Gru recognizes El Macho in the mall, he should have recognized the other shop owners as retired villians too. Like the mall was some kind of villain retirement home. And the twist would be that none of those ex-villians were the real culprits but Gru's friend Dr. Nefario.
That would have been a good idea.
It was fun but I didn't like how Gru got married. It just doesn't suit him- at all. Lucy was cool but she got annoying quickly. 
The first Despicable Me will always be better.
Gru is too grumpy to be married -_-
exactly, that's what I thought
THERE WAS A DESPICABLE ME ??? that sounds horrible
Yeah, it wasn't as good as the first, I thought. It reminded me too much of zombies, actually.
Yeah the purple minions are rather zombie like.
Not that creative, really.
It was ok. I'm not sure which of the 2 was better though. Can't wait for the movie 'Minions' though.
As long as they don't screw it up.
Same thoughts here.
I liked it.   The Evil Minions reminded me of Gremlins.