Closed to new replies
January 26, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 84

queer cinema

:iconberlinbuenosayres:
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
i was talking with my mate a while ago about this list we found of the (supposedly) best queer films. now the problem is, i'd seen many of those and they were mostly bad.

i like queer cinema, but why is there such a great amount of bad, romantic, angsty, crap films? sometimes i feel these film makers think the queer thing is enough to keep the whole thing going. but it's not! at least not in the today, and yet i feel i'm the only one thinking this way sometimes, as i said, the best queer films lists have too much rubbish on it.

maybe the word-of-mouth still works? what are your favourite queer films and etc?

mine:
my own private idaho (gus van sant),
faustrecht der freiheit (rainer werner fassbinder),
die bitteren tranen der petra von kant (fassbinder),
nowhere (gregg araki),
plata quemada (marcelo piñeyro),
morrer como un homem (joao pedro rodrigues),
madame sata (karim ainouz),
the crying game (neil jordan),
la ley del deseo (pedro almodovar),
gouttes d'eau sur pierres brulantes (françois ozon),
the boys in the band (william friedkin),
heavenly creatures (peter jackson),
the kids are all right (lisa cholodenko).

another thing, how does your country treats queer cinema? anything good?

have a nice day.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmcchi:
McChi Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
All right so back in 2007 my roommate of the time got a movie from his sister for his birthday.

I'am chilling in my room and he comes in and was like you want to drink some 40's and watch a movie my sister bought me, I said sure.

The movie was called SHORT BUS and wow it was way out there in the queer genre.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
There is such a thing as Queer cinema? What the fuck is that?
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
there is. there was even a movement called the new queer cinema.
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Is that anything like Australian New Wave which, I'm sorry, produced some of the most homoerotic movies I've ever seen?
not quite. the australian new wave has very nice films anyway.
The Road Warrior series was pretty good (but extremely gay) and the Priscilla Queen of the Desert was just out and out gay as shit.
yes, i like those films. australians are a lot of fun.
Sure, the Road Warrior films are fun, but they're still VERY homoerotic.
yes. i love lord humungus outfit.
(1 Reply)
:iconneontiger505:
neontiger505 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Christopher and his kind !♥
seen it :) i loved isherwood already, so i knew i was going to like it. it didn't disappoint.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
Happy Together by Wong Kar Wai is supposed to be very good.
i need to watch this one, i saw in the mood for love and 2046 by wongky, i like his style very much.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
"Wongky". Love it! I'd thoroughly recommend Chungking Express, with is one of my favourite films of all time.

I also had the fortune to see the premiere of Fallen Angels, the very loose sequel, at a Chinese film festival. I was the only caucasian guy there, surrounded by young, cool cats and their hip, bored looking, leather-jacket-wearing girlfriends. Was like something from the movie itself. Definitely one of my favourite cinema experiences.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
:love: good, i'll watch that one as well.

that's why i love film fests. you not only get to see great films (some times), but there's a whole experience to it.
:iconmarkivan:
MarkIvan Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My Own Private Idaho - Absolute favorite -- River Phoenix is great, Van Sant really needs return to his early style.

L.I.E. - Good film. I love fearless filmmakers.

Totally Fucked Up, The Doom Generation, Mysterious Skin - Araki does his thing. I enjoyed the ride.

Shank - Surprising liked this one, nothing too special though kinda like C.R.A.Z.Y. Good luck finding good queer cinema featuring men of color (which, for the record, I'm sure you don't give a fuck). Six Degrees of Seperation comes to mind as a good one.

Streamers - Not specifically queer cinema, but deals with homosexuality in the military during Vietnam, among many other things. Classic film by the great Robert Altman + the cast is good.

Salo, or the 120 days in Sodom - Not queer cinema, but strong gay and bisexual themes. Definitely not for everyone, arguably the most infamous movie ever made -- and for good reason. Rape, torture, sadism, fascism, mutilation -- its a good bit o' fun.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
agreed, do you know about james franco's my own private river? i'm curious about how that turned out.

i have to see l.i.e. as soon as i can, this is the second mentions it gets.

i'll look for this other films, thanks for the recs. btw, i believe i give as much fucks about good films with black men as i give about any other good film.

as much as i love pasolini, i don't think i'll be seeing this one soon. it sounds even worst than a thousand and one nights. he was going a bit crazy by that time, i think.
:iconmarkivan:
MarkIvan Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Quite the contrary, Pasolini wasnt crazy, in fact, he is at the top of game in Salo. It should also be mentioned that Salo is based on the novel The 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade. And for all the atrocities in Salo it doesnt hold a candle of de Sade's work.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
well, i definitely find more tasteful his earlier works.
:iconedarlin:
edarlin Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
Tomboy
XXY
Boys Don't Cry
Patrik, Age 1.5- I only watched the first few minutes of it and quit because I was multi-tasking and couldn't handle subtitles at the time, but from the description it sounds like it might be more comedy than drama.

Victor Victoria- for a movie about transvestism, homosexuality, and sexual identity, it's really lighthearted and funny. I mean, how awesome is Julie Andrews as a drag queen? There's also a 1930s German version, and Connie and Carla, which is basically Victor Victoria crossed with Some Like it Hot.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
victor victoria sounds great, i'll look for it.

i've seen the rest, and maybe you can clear something that's been a mystery to me for very long. in XXY does the actress way of talking (inés efrón) sounds annoying? it does to me, and it almost ruins the film for me, but i speak the same kind of spanish she does. so the question is more like does her annoying way of talking is noticeable from a foreign perspective?
:iconedarlin:
edarlin Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Well, I don't really notice her way of talking being any different, except maybe she gets kind of croaky every so often. Then again, I'm paying attention to the subtitles and trying to catch the bits of Spanish I understand.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
all right, that's what i wanted to know, thanks :)
:iconultraviolet:
ultraviolet Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
give 'Shortbus' a go, you might like it
:iconeve-lang-el-coup:
Eve-Lang-El-Coup Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Some of these I haven't watched, but anyway:
Mädchen in Uniform - 2 versions - apparently the original is better of the two.
Glue - This directed by Alexis Dos Santos. It's about a boy and his family and a relationship he has with a boy and a girl. It's modeled off of Gummo by Harmony Korine.
L.I.E. - This would be my favourite of them mentioned films.
Tropical Malady - Directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul. This, Syndromes and Uncle Boonmee have all been received well critically but if Uncle Boonmee is anything to go by I'm guess they'd also bore head in with a drill.
Mullholland Drive - Good film. I like Lost Highway the most out of David Lynch's catalogue.
Ma vie en rose - seems interesting
Fucking Amal
Irreversible - It has a Gay Bar in it, but it's a revenge flick with a happy, I guess you might call it bittersweet ending.
Weekend - It seems to be pretty well liked and is compared to Lost in Translation and the Before Sunrise\Sunset films.
Breakfast on Pluto
The Naked Civil Servant/An Englishman in New York - watched 2nd part.
Before Night Falls
Suddenly, Last Summer - A lot like Long Day's Journey Into Night.
Velvet Goldmine - Quite fun.
Summer Storm - Coming of age tale.
Cracks -
Maurice

The films of Derek Jarman - I recently got a box set of his films. I haven't watched any yet but they seem interesting

Oh and apparently there's a gay relationship in Consent and Advise. It's a really fun film, good acting, very breezy. I don't remember much of the plot.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
ei, nice recs.

mädchen in uniform looks great! i need to see this film right now.

glue is a nice film, i like alexis dos santos other film too, unmade beds.

for some reason i always thought l.i.e. was directed by larry clark (whom i hate), and was avoiding it. i should give it a try.

mulholland drive is good, all i've seen from david lynch is quite good. lost highway is my second favourite from him, the first is blue velvet.

what i like most about fucking amal is that it felt very real, it's weird how life can be so alike in the other side of the world.

i wouldn't call irreversible a queer film (i would call it a film i don't want to see ever again). how is the end happy? he kills one bloke who had nothing to do. unless you mean the end as in the beginning of the story, which to me, it was very disturbing, knowing all it would happen.

weekend does have that lost in translation feel, i liked it.

breakfast on pluto, seen it, liked it.

how's that film maurice? i've seen it named around a lot, but for some reason i always stop myself from seeing it.

i watched the tempest, by derek jarman, it's really good. i need to see his other films.

thanks for the recommendations, i'll investigate the ones i didn't know.
I like Glue a lot more than Unmade beds. I was quite bored at some moments during the film.

Yes you should definitely watch it. While it has the some of the same themes as Kids it is by far a better looking, better acted, better written and so on and so on. The ending has its detractors.

Yeah, it was surprising to me when I was younger to see people just behaving as people in movies, especially documentaries.

I guess I should have put a ;) after gay bar and structured the sentence properly. Yeah I mean the beginning at the end.

It's very good. It has a quite intensity; lots of lingering and looks. Even Hugh does well.

No worries.
i think both glue and unmade beds have many scenes that could be cut, but they're very well made for being the first two of the director. i think xavier dolans (j'ai tué ma mère, les amour imaginaires) has the same problem with length.
:iconpepperseeds:
PepperSeeds Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
the kids are all right was an awesome flick
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
yes :)
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
This one was pretty cool: Taboo (Gohatto) its got samurai in it!

Trailer- [link]

Wiki page- [link]
the trailer looks good. i'll try to get it, you can't go wrong with samurais.
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
i know, right
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Could be because gay-oriented movies aren't exactly the top priority of many directors who really know what they're doing. I don't bother watching any since they all seem to have that "Straight to DVD" aura to them :paranoid: Not to mention, as you said - many seem to center around some sappy romance story, which is hard to appreciate for the forever alone, straight or gay :shakefist:
Hey man, if you want to see legitimately good quirky romantic comedies, Wan Kar Wai. That mother fucker is legit.
that seems to be the problem. at least there's some good directors out there who made a whole career around queer cinema (almodovar, araki, dolans, etc), you know you'll get something memorable out of any of their films. sadly, you can count 'em with your fingers.

i sort of do the same as you, don't watch nothing most of the time, but then i find a recommendation list or a documentary and i give it a chance, only to regret it 4 films later. it's terrible, each time i end up feeling i could write it, direct it and even act it much better.

that's an interesting idea, that we don't like romance crap for our forever alone status. it should be polled or something.
Almodovar? Pedro Almodovar? He makes gay movies?
doesn't he?
I was under the impression that Almodovar was a total womanizer, and that the predominant themes of his films revolve around women (or in the case of The Skin I Live In, a man who was forcibly turned into a woman by a doctor [whose daughter the man raped]).
a total womanizer? i doubt it. though his films do revolve around women. women, trannies and fags.
Yeah, a womanizer. From what I have heard he is a less creepy version of Hitchkock.

Trannies? Maybe forced trannies. Fags? Haven't seen any.
as far as i know almodovar is homosexual. where have your read that about him? sounds interesting.

i don't know which of his films you've seen, but i assure you there are many of both.
(1 Reply)
:iconzoo-relived:
zoo-relived Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Shelter, seems to feature pretty highly, an all around good film. Mysterious Skin, another of my favourites, and features Joseph Gordon-Levitt for added bonus. On a side note, an interesting film I would very much like to see but have not found yet is C.R.A.Z.Y. I've read plenty about it and seen some clips, but have yet to actually see it sold anywhere, not sure if it has anything to do with it being a French Canadian film, but meh.
i've had my doubts about shelter, the poster and description do sound bad. mysterious skin is one of my favourites too, all gregg araki films are really great. i saw c.r.a.z.y. in a film fest a few years ago. it's a good film, nothing spectacular, but good. er, i'm sure you can easily get it with a torrent.
Going into C.R.A.Z.Y. I had read that the main character was gay but at the end of it the only relationship he really had was with the girl (from memory).
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
yes, it's not very focused on any relationship but on the family and such.
:iconcalvero:
Calvero Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student
Maybe it is because the genre is so limited that the bar for good is lowered.
berlinBuenosAyres Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
i don't see the genre limited at all, but the bar sure is low. may be cause many great films are not in english.
:iconcalvero:
Calvero Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student
"i like queer cinema, but why is there such a great amount of bad, romantic, angsty, crap films?"

Same reason why there is a lot of that in the rest of cinema. It's what sells.

"how does your country treats queer cinema?"

Not very well. They aren't very mainstream, so hardly any get attention. I only know one queer movie that I like, but I cannot remember the name.

Off-Topic: Who is the person in your avatar?
Add a Comment: