Earliest Memory of Anime?

What was your earliest memory of anime, what got you into it all?

Mine was finding robotech and voltron at the video store back when i was a kid in the late 80's
Comments391
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
pokemon ... and beyblade
Sailor moon :) it used to be on tv and I watched it with my sisters :)
When I was very little, Pokemon and Sailor Moon, maybe a little of Cardcaptor Sakura.
Mew Mew Power!!!
Pokemon when I was...4? Good times xD
My dad let me watch Kiki's Delivery Service at some point when I was a wee lad, thought I didn't actually learn what anime was until I was 12. The first anime I watched that I knew was "anime" was Minami-Ke or something, I think.
it was an anime on sci fi, or whatever they called it back then.. they haven't introduced it on cartoon network yet, but they showed some late night crazy animes every now and then i think on tuesdays? i don't remember what it was called but there was some crazy scientist doing some crazy experiments in a laboratory. we(me and my dad) didn't watch much of it. i watched a little bit of anime on sci fi...then they started showing the first part of dbz on cartoon network and i started buying vhs copies of slayers at a movie store. i also had a magazine that would come once a month and have a list of animes i could choose from they would send me in the mail for a subscription. most of the vhs movies i had came from there except for akira and armitage the third. pretty sure i found those at suncoast...as well as slayers. think i was about.. 8 or 9 when i started watching them on the sci fi channel. in 7th grade maybe 6th when they started playing dbz on cartoon network. anyone know when they started dbz on cartoon network? i graduated 8th grade in 2000. i got tired of dbz when they went to namek. i got tired of the filler episodes and cheesy over-exaggeration as well as the 6+ episode long fights that were complete waste of time and money. a friend of mine kept watching it afterwards and i got to see trunks come back from the future and heard about vegeta and bulma and i was like /facepalm, this is almost as bad as family guy. they should get some manatees to do their work for them or something. (hope someone here gets that reference). fucking level caps...smh
Moomins.
Granted I didn't know it was anime until several years later...the books they're based on are Finnish but the cartoon was made in Japan, technically making it anime:B
Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo. I saw DBZ when the Frieza Saga was first airing, and I think the first time I saw Pokemon was about the fourth or fifth episode EVER...
ya i remember watching the first season of pokemon back in highschool
I was like 10 when I saw it...
Earliest memories? Wow, there were a lot I used to watch (but didn't know they were anime). I watched far too much tv!

My earliest would have been either Voltron or Astroboy. They alternated the same time slot in the morning for some time. Also the Wizard of Oz, Mysterious Cities of Gold and The Little Prince. I was told I used to watch Kimba a lot as well but I don't really remember (Hurrah for 80's/early 90's kids!).

My first anime movie was either The Little Mermaid or Puss in Boots (I found out recently that Miyazaki was an animator on that last one)
yep i remember watching all those too
My first anime is mazinger z
I know I was watching Pokémon before I started preschool (it's how I made my first friends), but my earliest memory of actually watching anime is probably during the Land of Waves arc in Naruto, when Naruto and Sasuke were trapped in Haku's Ice Mirror Jutsu and it looked like Haku had killed Sasuke. I watched anime a ton when I was little, so there are some scenes that I still remember, barely (a few I've actually rewatched since getting back into Naruto):
-Gaara vs. Lee
-Shikamaru vs. Temari
-Choji eating chips
-Naruto attempting to learn Rasengan and failing badly

There's also a scene I remember from a different anime, though I'm not sure which. Two people, a man and a little girl, are at some sort of festival and he buys her ice cream, which she's never had before, leading her to wonder how it's eaten. After reading volume 1 of Black Cat, I think it was probably from that (Sven and Eve have a very similar moment).
Forgot to mention, for a while (5 or 6 years, I think) I was just not into anime. Now, I've been best friends with these four guys for the past few years, and they're major anime nerds. One day one brought in Black Cat volume 1 and after reading the back I was interested, so he let me read it. After that, I read volume 4 of Death Note, and eventually volume 1, and I read the Bleach and Naruto chapters in all their Shonen Jumps, then I started watching Naruto again (so I would know what they were talking about), then I watched a few episodes of Soul Eater, then episodes 1-5 of Black Butler...Yeah, they've converted me. xD (And as you can see, shonen is the genre for me.)
I remember watching the Pokemon anime with my cousin on those VHS's they released back then. I was 5 or 6 then...
Tokyo babylon. I think it wrecked my growing up>_<
My First Manga i read was Fruits Basket but the first Anime i watched was Hellsing Ultimate but my favourite Anime has to be Hetalia ^.^
your pretty new to anime! welcome to the club! ^^
judging by your avatar, you check out wolf's rain
Aww thank you!
I haven't seen it, i actually created this picture myself ^.^ but i do like spice and wolf :I
I'll have to check out Wolf's rain now you mention it.
hmm... somewhere...
in daycare...

i was watching one of the REALLY old pokemon episodes...

where ash gets shrunk and is in a doll house...