Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Best Post-Apocalyptic Films?

:iconechointhevoid:
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Writer
I know of The Road ( its my favorite book how could I not?), The Book Of Eli, The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 (horrible before and horrible now.), but I wanted to find some more, some actually WORTH seeing!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkweh-chan:
Kweh-chan Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
THX-1138

This was George Lucas' first film, and it's more or less unheard of. It's brilliant! It has a real subdued and contemplative feel to it, and some fairly intense moments. Stylistically, it feels somewhat similar to Star Wars, so it's worth a watch if you're a SW fan. The ending is just amazing; I shan't say any more than that, but it's worth watching the entire film just for the final 5 minutes.
:iconeve-lang-el-coup:
Eve-Lang-El-Coup Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The World, The Flesh and the Devil - One of my favourite movies. I think I love everything about this, even the grating hairdressing scene. Some of the plot points that guide this film are contrived, yes, but it's a character piece first and foremost.

The War Game - A short what-if documentary based on scientific fact mixed in with some realistic assumptions based on other bombings.

Things to Come - It's not perfect, but some of the ideas and sets are well realised. My favourite part is the mid-section where Everytown is less a town, more a military outpost and the disease sweeping the world has created zombies wanting to infect the healthy. They really should have expanded that.

On The Beach - I haven't watched either version yet, but they do seem pretty good.
5ive - I haven't watched this either, but it also seems like something worthy of looking into.

The Day After and Threads - Both of these films follow a bunch of characters before and after a nuclear strike. Threads is much more grim and realistic and is a lot slower in pace.

A Boy and His Dog - A fun movie about a boy and his dog and mans animalistic tendencies.

The Last Man On Earth - A very good film with Vincent Price. He lives alone in a world of mutants and then he finds another survivor which challenges his perceptions.

And last but not least is an interesting Czech film called Konec srpna v hotelu Ozon (Late August at the Hotel August) and its about of female nomads led by an old woman who was born before the nuclear holocaust that destroyed the world. Animals were harmed during the making of this film.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional General Artist
Threads is the king of Apocalypse movies. Nothing has come close to the misery of this film.
I meant Late August at the Hotel Ozone.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I'd second the mention of 12 Monkeys, and throw in The Quiet Earth, a fairly rare film.
And this is sort of borderline, really, and probably doesn't belong here, but Miracle Mile for sheer originality.
:iconcajunattack:
cajunattack Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional General Artist
Good list. The Quiet Earth is wonderful. And yeah, Miracle Mile is an odd one. Some kinda weird romcom/apocalpse hybrid but not as cheesy ( okay, a bit cheesy ) as that could be.
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Well, the premise of Miracle Mile is far stronger than the reality, but it tries. I'll give it brownie points for that. Plus, I have a history with this movie. I narrowly avoided being struck by lightning during the grand finale.
I really enjoyed The Quiet Earth too. I don't know what you mean by rare though.
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
In the sense that it took a while to appear on DVD and is never shown on cable, that I know of. So" I meant "rare" in the sense that it's something you'd really have to know about already to see; you won't stumble across it by accident...
EchoInTheVoid Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Writer
Ooooo rare apocalypse films, sounds interesting and 12 monkeys is also rather peculiar!
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
You know what I like best about it? Try watching only the background characters, especially anyone who speaks. There's a whole other movie going on in the background, and it took me a couple of viewings to catch on...
:iconkdaanimefan:
KdaAnimefan Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Writer
There's a fallout fan film I'm interested in seeing,Fallout Lanius.
I love Fallout, mostly New Vegas, but where is this genius you speak of?
:iconkdaanimefan:
KdaAnimefan Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Writer
still in production maybe

[link]
:icongvcspecks:
gvcspecks Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Oh I did enjoy The Book of Eli. You could look into 28 days/weeks later, they are more urbanised and civilised than the wasteland you see in The Road but they are still good films.
I've heard a lot about that film, I think I shall rent on my next trip to the video store!
:iconwishingunderthatstar:
WishingUnderThatStar Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Quite liked The Postman. It's a bit long and it can drag in a couple of places but I really liked the story.
Sounds like a messenger of the wastes!
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
The Road is very cool. Great visuals and a horrific story combined with great acting.

The Book of Eli is bland. Mad Max but black and with a bible instead of gas.

The Day After Tomorrow has cool special effects but it's just like 2012: zero story depth

2012 has awesome special effects and a dog shit story.

28 Days and 28 Weeks later both have their good parts. 28 Days Later has way too slow a middle part.

Monsters (2010) is awesome! I like that it is a story driven apocalyptic monster movie.
I highly recommend it.

Terminator: Salvation looked cool in the "future" but that movie was so devoid of a story and so short it was sad.

I am Legend is a terrible movie when compared to the book and not good at all when not compared to the book. It should have been titled "Follow Will Smith for a day or two".

Cloverfield and 30 Days of Night aren't really apocalyptic, so their horror survival doesn't count although I like the gore of 30 Days and the idea of Cloverfield.

12 Monkeys is awesome.

Children of Men is really cool. I like the story, the acting, and the execution.

The animated 9 is cool if you're into steam punk.

Final Fantasy Spirits Within is cool. I really like the spirit monsters.

Judge Dredd is an awesome comic book, the old UK one. The movies suck.

Carriers is cool for a small budget film.

Pandorum isn't bad. I like the post humans.

The Day After, the tv movie, was good for it's time. I remember when that was new.

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind is post apocalyptic. It's a classic animated movie.

I liked Night of the Comet. I thought it was a cool idea. It's an 80's movie.

The Signal is awesome. I love that movie.

Aeon Flux the animated series is awesome too.

Repo! The Genetic Opera is post apocalypse right? Love it.

Casshern Sins is a cool post apocalyptic anime.

Sunshine, I think, is a really good space post apocalyptic movie.

Also, BattleStar Galactica the newest series is also post apocalypse on a much larger scale, 12 wordls were wrecked!
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
"28 Days Later has way too slow a middle part."

Ugh, yes! I like the movie up until <spoiler for anybody who hasn't seen it> they find the soldiers. I felt that entire part could have been condensed. I understand why it was there, but the film just slows down there for me.
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Yes, I understand the story element, but you know what....from the time they leave the tunnel with the rats and infected until they reach the check point should have been 5 to 8 minutes not a major element of the movie.

The military thing, I think was good because it finally dealt more with the horrific reality where women would become more valuable than gold but not treated like gold.

I also wanted to see more survival horror in there. When the three people shacked up in the store for the night, I was hoping to see a whole day of chasing and such after.
:iconelirox904:
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
How the hell did I forget about Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and 28 Days/Weeks Later!?
Though I disagree with Final Fantasy Spirits Within, I can see you do have good taste after you listed Casshern Sins.
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
What's wrong with Final Fantasy Spirits Within?
Too many people got trapped by the title and cannot move beyond Cloud Strife, but the movie wasn't bad and have superior animation.
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I REALLY hate Cloud Strife, he is possibly the most overrated hack in video game history, besides Sephiorth. The only Final Fantasies I really liked were FF3-6 and FF9.

That said, Spirits Within had unappealing CGI, forgettable and poorly-written characters, and it didn't have the Final Fantasy feel at all. Plus, you'd think a piece of Final Fantasy media would have good music, but SW doesn't have any of the awesome music FF is known for.
Oh you are a hater:P
:iconshadow2k:
shadow2k Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
+1 for Nausicaa. That film was amazing, and even better on bluray (it's a testament to how good Ghibli's animation is if an animated film from 1984 can survive being put out in HD).
Yeah, the animation is solid in that and Princess Mononoke
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
I like 28 Days Later because you get to see Cillian Murphy's dingle dang. Also I like the movie

And Six String Samurai
:iconblargen69:
BLARGEN69 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013   General Artist
Mad Max series, though the first is definitely not a movie for everyone, but Mad Max 2 is a classic and a true masterpiece and essentially kickstarted the trend of post-apocalyptic films. If you like it George Miller's directed Mad Max 4 is finished filming and will be out sometime soon.
You should also check out A Boy and His Dog.
Also the original Planet of the Apes films.
I love the original Planet Of The Apes, Mad Max seems a bit popular on this forum post so I may just rent them all!
:iconblargen69:
BLARGEN69 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   General Artist
The original Planet of the Apes is a classic and pretty much flawless in every aspect in my view, the sequels are fun but nowhere near the level of the original.
You definitely should watch Mad Max, just don't expect Hollywood levels of quality or big budget action sequences ESPECIALLY if you start with the first movie. Though the climax of Mad Max 2 has one of the greatest action scenes put to film if you ask me.
Also I don't know if anyone suggested this, because it technically is not a post-apocalyptic film but it pretty much contains all the elements people look for in the genre, is Escape from New York.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Not Waterworld...
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
It's not post apocalyptic, it's post good story telling.
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I don't know what it was. Or why I watched it. I am convinced Kevin Costner cannot act and that Dennis Hopper never turned down a script.
Hahahahaa! Costner and Cage and Keanu are always the same character in every movie. Hopper was a whore
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I love Dennis Hopper. But yeah.

I don't think Keanu Reeves can act. But I have enjoyed many of his movies.
I don't think Keanu thinks he can act
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
That's comforting.
:iconelectricjonny:
electricjonny Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I've always liked Waterworld :slow:

I think because I saw it in theaters way back when, and I just liked the concept.  Sure, acting and story were a bit "meh", but I thought it was decent.
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
The concept itself, if you just read the synopsis, sounds very interesting. I think it was the kind of movie that would have either bombed or been a huge success. It hood good people in it. I don't know what it was missing. But it was missing something.
:iconelectricjonny:
electricjonny Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Yeah fair enough =P
:iconcinis786:
Cinis786 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
definitely zombieland
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Mad Max 2 is what I (And, well, pretty much everyone else) would call an even better sequel.
Zombieland is great since it has everything from scary to hilarious to romantic to sad moments.
The anime film Fist of the North Star is pretty badass. Seriosuly, Kenshiro MAKES PEOPLES HEADS EXPLODE. Oh yeah, and he knocks down buildings with a single punch. Oh yeah, and he has the epic line "You are already dead."
Add a Comment: