Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

What movies that didnt get made that you wish that happened

:iconclxcool:
CLXcool Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There are times where something gets planned for a film and next thing you know its canceled. This is going for both live-action and animated films. What are movies that you have heard about that were in the planning stages(but they would later get back on the drawing board) that you wished that happened? The movies can be live-action and animated films that never happened. Just name the movie and why you wish that it happened. It also includes original concepts that were planned as the film but the executives had to butcher it for unexplained reasons.

Ralph Bakshi's Original Concept for Cool World- Originally, Ralph pitched Cool World as an R rated horror movie hybrid. It was later re-written behind his back when it was in production to cash in on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I love the idea of the original concept for the film. It sounded very promising.

American Dog- This one got the same treatment Cool World got. Butchered to death when in production and its the reason why Chris Sanders left the Disney studio. Rumor had it that John Lassester called on changes for the movie because he didnt like Lilo and Stitch. I would have preferred a spy animated film over a dumb Toy Story knock off.

As for live-action films, I wish American Mcgee's Alice happened. It would have been better than Tim Burton's Alice.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkweh-chan:
Kweh-chan Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd like to see a GOOD film made for the novel "The Giver." I've had a few scenes in my head, already, and I'd love to see someone make it a reality.

I would also kill to see a full-length, 2hr 30min Final Fantasy X film. The game went above and beyond in terms of pacing, scripting, etc, and just has a real film-like quality to it.
:icontheblack-kat:
TheBlack-Kat Jan 18, 2013  Student Filmographer
I'm there with you on American MaGees Alice.

Big one I'm dissapointed wasn't made was 'Good Omens', based on the novel by Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchett (highly recommended if you like to read =)). It was going to be a Terry Gilliam movie. Screenplay was all written, they were just trying to get funding though due to the amount of effects needed they had to look to American companies and they weren't interested =(
CLXcool Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If American Mcgee's Alice ever happens. I want it as an animated feature(although, I dont see it happening since parents will be stupid enough to think of it as the Disney version of the story).

Speaking of Terry Prachett. I remember reading that Disney was at one point interested in developing a 2D animated film of the Discworld novel Mort. They ended up not doing it since they couldn't afford the rights. Which was a shame since Mort is my favorite book in the Discworld series, and a few of my friends who worked for Disney told me it would have been true to the book.
:icontheblack-kat:
TheBlack-Kat Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
OMG Disney was going to make a Discworld movie??!? Well that's now top of my list of movies I wish happened! 'Mort's' great, though my personal favourite is 'Guards! Guards!' =D

And yes, 'American McGee's Alice' would HAVE to be animated to do the style justice. Preferably 2D, though stop motion might be interesting as well. Be nice by the people who did Coraline.
CLXcool Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, Disney was planning on doing Mort. However, when they were trying to get the rights to the book. They ended up getting four other Discworld books(or so i'm told). When Disney just wanted mort. Needless to say, thats what put an end to mort.

Speaking of stop-motion, there was a fan-made trailer of American McGee's alice. It was so good that everyone thought it was the trailer for the next game. Even the creator(despite saying it wasn't the game trailer) was impressed by it.

As for movies. I got more animated films to mention that I wish that happened.

Howard the duck- Yeah, the live-action dud that was known by star wars creator George lucas was originally convinced as an animated feature. Universal axed that idea so they can have a live-action movie for the summer release. It was mentioned in the DVD commentary. As much as Disney now wants to pretend Howard never happened. I still wish that one day Howard the duck will get the justice he deserves.

Brad Bird's The Spirit- Back in the 80's, Brad Bird helped out on an animated trailer based off of Will Eisner's comic The Spirit. Will Eisner loved it so much that he wanted an animated feature based off of his comic. Brad wrote a script(which has been described as very faithful to Eisner's comics) and was pitched to Hollywood. However, they liked it, but they rejected the idea of it being animated over live-action. To think. How animation could have been changed if this happened. It would have been a much better movie than the infamous Frank Miller disaster.

Bobby's girl- Also in the 80's. Badboy animation director Ralph Bakshi saw how talented a young artist by the name of John K(who would later be known for creating Ren and Stimpy) was in the terms of cartooning. They both got along well and both agreed that animation was in the shitter at the time. When they were doing New adventures of Mighty Mouse. Ralph and John came up with the idea of an animated feature(which I can assume would be PG-13 rated) called Bobby's girl. It was supposed to be a parody of the teen genre films at the time. Like stuff like The Breakfast Club. I spoke with John K about this a couple of years ago. He said to me that the movie went through a ton of scripts(actual movie scripts, since Tristar wouldn't allow The Bakshi Studio to use storyboarded scripts). Each one that Ralph and John looked over, they took out the parts they found funny and put it in the final script for the film. There was later a fallout with the producer at Tristar(who would later get fired, and the people who replaced him couldnt see the idea of it working out well since it was "different" from most teen comedies). I wish this happened the most, since Ralph Bakshi and John K are both of my favorite cartoonists.
:iconcalvero:
Calvero Jan 17, 2013  Student
Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Bing Crosby were planning on starring in a film about Jimmy Durante, Lou Clayton, and Eddie Jackson. It was going to be directed by Frank Capra. I was so disappointed when I found out it never got made.
:iconblargen69:
BLARGEN69 Jan 17, 2013   General Artist
I have read before that Raimi at one time had a post-apocalyptic Evil Dead 4 idea, I can never seem to find more about that. It was a long time ago when I saw that too, I always envisioned it as Army of Darkness meets Mad Max.
:iconshadow2k:
shadow2k Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Much as Golden Compass (grrrrrr....it will always be Northern Lights to me) sucked ass and stripped out a lot from the book, I was looking forward to seeing if they redeemed themselves with The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Alas, this will never happen now.

...I kinda wish they'll do a proper adaptation of Northern Lights now, with all its religion-based plot intact.
:iconrobstrand:
Live Action Cowboy Bebop.

Jeremy Renner as Spike Spiegel
Randy Couture as Jet
Milla Jovovich as Fay Valentine
and Miranda Cosgrove as Radical Edward

Admit it, you would watch it!
CLXcool Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If my memory is correct, didn't the planned Cowboy Bebop movie got canceled because it was way too expensive by Hollywood standards?
Add a Comment: