What does a show need to be successful?

What are some note-worthy shows that you like or love and what makes them so great? If I made a show how could I get it to that level or make it even better then those shows?
Comments73
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think the first thing you should examine is your target audience. Who are they? Gender, age range, genre, interests, etc.

Examine and develop the story, series from the feedback of your audience.
Plot, Is it logical? Do the events or developments makes sense or connect together during the episode/series
What is the goal or aim for the series to accomplish?

Characters: Focus on different aspects or characters in order to develop them throughout the series
Focus on character interactions with a small group or team. shows like CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds and even My Little Pony, Malcolm in the Middle, are good examples.
Recently i've been into Grimm, which I find to be really fascinating and their takes on fairy tales is really interesting - I like the modern spin they have on the classic stories. And the creatures themselves or "Wesen" as their called are very fascinating.
It's a not so classic retelling. It's better then most the only constraint is the continuity.
Yeah...it's a modern take.
Overall I have no complaints
it has to be stupid. like mind nummingly stupid. repedative and more then likely flash based.

that's why Young Justice is dying but Johny Test lives on...
Johny test has a prozen formula. Young Justice is kinda sucky when it comes to story telling. The first season was great but now it broken up and the only reason I watch it is because i LOVE robin and superboy and the action and awesome look of it. The great stuff from the first season is pretty much gone as this point and if they dont get cancelled it might be better next season.

I'm guessing that is what your referring to. So I should make sure there is no story connecting each episode and to make obvious joke that are just painful to hear.
yeah season 2 is being rather random... but they seamed to have finaly gotten to the good part with the Reach issues and such.
Season one they had to prove themselves. Season two diplomat problems. The best part of was when the war ship was going to destroy the planet. Wait that's not important what is important is that there are evil aliens and they are doing nothing to stop them. Ben ten alien force knew what to do, Stop the aliens!
though in Ben10 both Ben and the Aliens are largely hidden from the general public.
Yeah. The fact that it's hidden gives it a fantastical feel like it could really happen one day. Kids plus possibilities is good. Super heroes are cool. If they're over-powered that means it's boring. If they lose a lot that sucks. Mix it up and that's what you have now. The suspense is building really slowly. we all know a big battle is coming but we don't know if we want to wait because it's already getting kinda bland.
A show needs ratings in order to be successful (obviously).
How to get RATINGS?
People have to watch the show.
What do you do to get people to watch a show?
It needs to be understood by the stupidest members of the human population who watch TV at at least some level, but contain lots of actually intelligent things for the rest of us. So in essence, you've got to balance people who love SyFy and Honey Boo Boo with people who watch Battlestar Galactica, Tron Uprising, Gravity Falls, and Firefly. So far, only things like Sherlock and Doctor Who seem to have mastered this.
I'm sorry but no. A show isn't good because of a type of person but the fan base. Sure you're on the right track and I get the idea behind it but the way you said it is unappealing.

"Honey Boo Boo" and I hate that I know this is a reality/ squirm show. That attracts a lot of people like people who like reality tv, people who have nothing better to do, people who can't believe stuff like that goes on, and overall most people would watch it for different reasons. Battle star galactica however has a specific fan base, people who like the show and shows like it. See the difference.

Some shows hit a general area while others hit specifics. One of the shows you mentioned is Gravity Falls, it is a show that does both. It's random and has stuff most people would like but also aims for people who like to be entertained in a specific way. Doctor Who does the same thing in a different way. There are people who like doctor who and shows like it but doctor who has very good story telling. You don't need to know which is the fifth doctor cause you will still enjoy the single story.
In my opinion, sarcastic humor.
Explain please
How do I explain that?
Idk tell a sarcastic joke